Speed Ring Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Galgo

Speed Ring Question

Post by Galgo »

Sighted in with a friend yesterday who has the exocet 200 as do I. He was bang on at 20 moved out to 30 and was consistently 6 inches high so we adjusted his speed ring faster and it maxed out 350 fps. He is back on at 30, 40 and 50.

My question: is there a way to rezero the speed ring? I doubt his bow is shooting 350fps but what happens if next time he sights in another adjustment is required?

Thanks

F
sumner4991

Re: Speed Ring Question

Post by sumner4991 »

Did you use a rangefinder to determine the yardage . . .I made that mistake once. :(
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
shuey270

Post by shuey270 »

My son's varazone is the same way on his Vortex! Maxed out
equinox varazone gt laser 2's 125 thunderhead
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Hey Sumner yes the yardages were bang on I was sighting in my bow as well so it was easy to compare anf he and I both had range finders. His is bang on now but I am concerned that he is maxed out. One side note (and it might be a major factor) is that I noticed some damage on the top of his scope and he told me that he dropped the X bow on the scope one time when cocking it. Maybe thats it?
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The speed ring, well, isn't a speed ring. It's a variable magnification adjustment knob that changes the distance between the aiming point in the reticule. The weigh of the arrow affects trajectory, he may have to use a higher setting if the arrow is light, say 350 grains. The drop could have affected the scope attachment as well. I'd remove the scope and re-set making sure all screws are tight first.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Galgo wrote:Sighted in with a friend yesterday who has the exocet 200 as do I. He was bang on at 20 moved out to 30 and was consistently 6 inches high so we adjusted his speed ring faster and it maxed out 350 fps. He is back on at 30, 40 and 50.

My question: is there a way to rezero the speed ring? I doubt his bow is shooting 350fps but what happens if next time he sights in another adjustment is required?

Thanks

F
MATE, :idea: MY BET IS HE WERE USING A SUPER FLEMISH STRING 2097, MATE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME I CHANGED STRINGS FROM A STANDARD EXCAL STRING SET AT 305 FPS BY THE SCOPE POWER RING, I WENT TO A EXCAL SUPER FLEMISH STRING 2097 & MATE I HAD TO PUT THE SCOPE POWER RANGE TO 350 TO HAVE IT SPOT ON AT 20-30 & 40 YARDS ON A VORTEX & AN OLDER 185 LB EXOMAG. I CANT EXPLAIN IT SURLEY IT CANT MAKE THAT MUCH DIFFRENCE. HOPE SOMEONE HERE CAN HELP US BOTH OUT... :shock:
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

LIke Cossack stated, the "Speed Ring", is actually a magnification ring. Turning it changes the magnification of the scope between 2X and 4X power.

As the magnification is altered, it also changes the distance between the crosshairs and the chevrons/triangles. The higher the magnification, the closer the distance is between them.

There's a correlation between the speed of a projectile and the distance between the markers. To determine the distance needed between the markers, one needs to calculate the ballistics to reticle ratio. In a very crude way, that's what the "speed ring" is doing for us.

Unfortunately, even in a controlled environment the "speed ring" is not precise.

To complicate matters, even if it was, since we don't live in a controlled environment, the many variables (i.e. wind, barometric pressure, different areodynamics of the projectile, etc.) that exist will affect the ballistics. So, taking into account all factors, the "speed ring" can not be expected to be very accurate, and in fact it can produce a slightly different POI from one day to the next.

Sorry for the long-winded dissertation, :wink: I suppose I could have just said, like Awshucks did in another post, but in other words:

The markings on that ring are a very rough guide and should not be taken as gospel.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I don't seem to be getting the point across but i do appreciate the input. I know what the "speed ring" is and what it does the issue is the fact that it is maxed out and cannot go any further if need be. So what happens if a further adjustment is required that the ring (magnification) cannot accomodate? I like the idea of removing the scope and seeing if POI will change favourably but I guess it could also change for the worse right?

Any other suggestions? Am I more clear on what the issue is now. Again no ill will to the comments in the string just trying to better articulate the question.

Thanks.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

What string and arrow weight? I've had several V-zones and never this problem. Imho, you'll have 3 choices.
1. Fudge the 20 via turret adjustments.
2. Go to slower string.
3. Go to heavier arrow.

1/2" to 1" low at 20 will drop the poi considerably more at 40 yds.
"Eze 18:21"
Hallaketrout

Post by Hallaketrout »

Am I correct that you are shooting 2 Exocet 200's? and 1 has the speed ring maxed out.
Time permiting you could swap the 2 scopes, that would isolate if the issue is with the scope, the mounting, or the bow.
You are only Young Once but have the rest of your life to be Immature!

Hunting
Kayak Fishing
Fly Fishing
Trap Shooting
30-06
And now Exocet 200/Lumi-zone
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Hallaketrout wrote:Am I correct that you are shooting 2 Exocet 200's? and 1 has the speed ring maxed out.
Time permiting you could swap the 2 scopes, that would isolate if the issue is with the scope, the mounting, or the bow.
Great idea. We are a week away from the opener tho and My set up is dialed in nice so too late. Maybe next year when we site in again. Thanks