Home made targets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Skullwrecker

Home made targets

Post by Skullwrecker »

Well im not sure if this topic has been brought up befor but I have made a few now an woundered if others have tryed an had any ideas or success makein there own I have used carpet cut to 6 inch strips an stood on end an squished together in a frame it works well an bolts draw out nicely an it stops the bolts well have shot it 1000's of times but it's heavy to move around the other one I put together is made of a plywood box filled with old blankets an rags its lighter to move but is much bigger do to the amount of rags needed to stop bolts .

Anyone else made some or tryed lookin for new ideas
Why run when you can fight...............

Excalibur ExoMag
Top mount quiver with S5
Carbon Express bolts Surge 343 gr
Leupold crossbones
Boo custom string
Core filled to help silence
bucknbill

Re: Home made targets

Post by bucknbill »

hard to beat a feed sack packed with old clothes..arrow wont hardly penetrate 3in. and its easy to move around or throw in your truck..just paint a few spots on it..as you know for field points only :wink:
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
rayman

Post by rayman »

bucknbill wrote:feed sack packed with old clothes
Had a home made target like that I use to shoot field points into. Worked super. Started practicing with broadheads all the time. It still stopped the arrows fine, but I cut my hand trying to get the BH out of the bag. Broke down and bought a target from Walmart for $40.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I only practice with field points as I have found broad heads that fly like field points.
I have one made out of old clothes and one made out of Dacron fill from a garden swing that was going to the dump.

Both stop arrows no problem and very easy to pull arrows out.
Tenpoint Matrix
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've got a pile of spare rags, clothes, etc. if anyone in the area (Waterloo Region) is looking for some more stuffing. Just send a PM.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Dash

Post by Dash »

I just use a feedbag of rags mostly. Too easy.
They used targets stuffed with small chunks of scrap wetsuit material for the world crossbow event in Australia last year. I heard they worked really well. Just food for thought.
IAMCANADIAN

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

I have two no-fail home made target recipes:

Field points: A feed bag (free) stuffed with more feed bags (free)
Modification: If you can get it, scrap ripstop nylon (old tents, parachutes) or fiberglass window screening works even better as a stuffing

Broad heads: 3 yard block of peat (spagnum) moss from the garden center (7 bucks). It stops bolts up to about 280 FPS, faster than that 2-3 layers of old carpet in front makes sure they stop. Doesn't hurt the broadheads at all and arrow extraction is easy.

When the target is done (about 1 season), spread peat over garden and lawn :)

IAC
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
Skullwrecker

Post by Skullwrecker »

LOL The last traget is green tooo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good idea

Excalibur ExoMag
Top mount quiver with S5
Leupold crossbones
Boo custom string
masboy

Post by masboy »

For a good portable target I put just the carpet like material from my shot up yellow jacket bag in a feed bag and packed tight works great.made a box out of foam and filled with rags and covered with duct tape worked great till i shot the foam box to bits in no time. Now have feedbags filled with rags in my straw bail press I made using two one inch 6 foot threaded rods and two 2 x12 one on top and one on bottom with hole in each end and put in bags and tightened up nuts. Best target I ever shot arrows only go in a few Inches and pull out with 2 fingers.a guy shot it at 20 yards with his Barnett and the arrows were hitting bags and falling out on ground bouncing out.for broadheads I put straw bails in it and crank it tight and works great. The thing really packs the rags down tight.
Time-N-Flight

Post by Time-N-Flight »

Im thinking about purchasing a Plastic Laundry Basket,One without the Cut outs, or Slots in it. In the bottom of the Basket, I want to cut a piece of Rubber Stall Mat( Tractor Supply) and fit it into the bottom of the Basket.Next Tightly packed Rags,or Fiber Fill, and topped off with a piece of Ethafoam for the Front.Say like 4 # density on the Ethafoam.Duct Tape the Top Ethafoam to the filled Basket.Nice thing about it would be that the contour of the Basket would slant back exposing the Target Face more Clearly

Should be ideal, you would never shoot thru it,even pushing 400 FPs.
Excalibur Equinox
GT Laser III
Hawke XB-30
Slick Tricks
UTG Law Inforcement Rings
Munch Mount
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

The laundry basket idea might be a pretty good thought, but a piece of stall mat in the bottom might be an issue. If you do have an arrow go all the way through into the stall mat...well...lets say that arrow retrieval is going to be more than a little difficult. I made a safety backstop for my targets by hanging a stall mat behind them. It works great for catching "flyers", but getting the arrow back out can take a bit of muscle and occasionally I'll pull an insert out. Just my 2 cents!
Time-N-Flight

Post by Time-N-Flight »

That is why im going to make sure that there is a lot of fill in between the front and back of the basket.Just to prevent a shoot through! Thanks.
Excalibur Equinox
GT Laser III
Hawke XB-30
Slick Tricks
UTG Law Inforcement Rings
Munch Mount
Skullwrecker

Post by Skullwrecker »

If you watch the pop can shoot you will see the carpet one in action at 55 yards with a broadhead

Excalibur ExoMag
Top mount quiver with S5
Leupold crossbones
Boo custom string