Question? Elevation or No.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tired Rooster

Question? Elevation or No.

Post by Tired Rooster »

We all know that the most common position to hunt deer from with the crossbow is from an elevated position (tree stand of some sort). So I don't want to get in any deep discussion about it. BUT...how many of you do hunt deer with your crossbow from ground level. Not a shooting house or blind.....but the ground. Curious to hear from you. And how much success?
DEO VINDICE
snapperdan

Re: Question? Elevation or No.

Post by snapperdan »

most of my hunting is done from the ground! I spend time in the pre season cuttin shootin lanes on trails. I cut alot of them so no matter what wind direction i have lanes cut to accomadate! I use a chair and a semi gilli called a bush in a bag!!! On the ground you must have the wind in your face!!! I love to hunt this way ! i can run and gun and not be married to a treestand? :D Hope this helps ya?
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Last year was my first year hunting with a cross bow and I took a six point and a 8 point from the ground on blind at all just useing natural wind falls as cover.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Due to knee issues I cant get up and down the ladder as easy, so now I pick many spots and clear out a few lanes. Sit in my chair and wait. Occasionaly I will get up and move to another spot in the evening but always see deer. Watched 5 seperate bucks walk within 15 yards last year, they never picked me out...ps. Buck bomb works great as a cover scent. :roll: :roll: :oops:
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
BigNasty

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I've had success from in a tree and on the ground. Near the end of the season when it turns cold and windy I will often stay on the ground in a little blind made of piled brush and branches.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

Thank you for the response fellas. I appreciate it. I hunt from ground most of time with the rifle, but wondered about doing it with crossbow. Now I feel confident to do so knowing alot of you guys hunt that way. Thanks!
DEO VINDICE
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I like both. Early in the season I like to get in a tree. Nothing like an aerial view of the autumn woods when it first starts getting light. Putting my treestand up this weekend in the same old spot. Like JKrug said, when the cold wind starts blowing I'll be tucked in a brush blind on the ground, somewhere out of the wind. Gary