Vortex sound dampening?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dereck

Re: Vortex sound dampening?

Post by Dereck »

IAMCANADIAN wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to just post the pics in the thread rather than sending them out a bunch of different times? Besides, my only email is through the company and I can't view attachments anyway.
Take the riser off and wedge high density rubber in the slots for 2"
Tenpoint Matrix
IAMCANADIAN

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

Really? That's it?

I was figuring it'd be something like a closed cell expanding foam fill or something. How much of a difference does it make?
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I shared my knowledge with a couple of members here by PM and fully expected them to share it as well as give everyone some feed back. Without the sharing of knowledge this forum will become a lesser place.
The various and obvious things are wrapping the stirrup, heatshrinking the arrow retainer and using a string made from Astroflight or 452X/Xcel. These cost you no speed. The next thing will also not cost you any speed. Below is what I have done to do to reduce the noise of my bows in addition to the above.

What you have to do is to remove the limbs and riser from the rail by removing 2 fasteners.

Remove the stock by removing 2 fasteners. If it is a thumbhole stock make sure you pull the rear of the stock away first. If you don't you will bend the trigger.

Remove the trigger unit by removing 2 fasteners from under the rail.

You now have just the rail in your hands.

Shoot an inch of silicone RTV from the trigger unit hole forward. Leave the rail for a day for the silicone to cure. Check on it from time to time to make sure the silicone does not flow. You can wet a finger and push the silicone back in.

Take an aerosol can of foam and get an extension for the tube and shoot into the rail from the front. Don't put too much (use low expansion foam) and allow it to get within an inch of where the string sits on the rail. Let the foam cure.

Fill the rest of the rail with silicone.

The idea is that the noise comes from the limb tips. It travels along the string and the limbs/riser so the silicone will reduce that noise which is why you want the silicone there the string is at rest. The foam will reduce echoing. In theory the silicone will absorb noise by jiggling like jello. It works for me.

What you have to do is to remove the limbs and riser from the rail by removing 2 fasteners.

Remove the stock by removing 2 fasteners. If it is a thumbhole stock make sure you pull the rear of the stock away first. If you don't you will bend the trigger.

Remove the trigger unit by removing 2 fasteners from under the rail.

You now have just the rail in your hands. Note:It may not be obvious to you but what gets done applies all channels of the rail. So you are going to have to remove the square plastic plug in the front end of the rail.

Shoot an inch of silicone RTV from the trigger unit hole forward. Leave the rail for a day for the silicone to cure. Check on it from time to time to make sure the silicone does not flow. You can wet a finger and push the silicone back in if it flows back. You do not want anything interfering with the trigger unit.

Take an aerosol can of foam and get an extension for the tube and shoot into the rail from the front. Don't put too much (use low expansion foam) and allow it to get within an inch of where the string sits on the rail. Let the foam cure.

Fill the rest of the rail with silicone.

The idea is that the noise comes from the limb tips. It travels along the string and the limbs/riser so the silicone will reduce that noise which is why you want the silicone there the string is at rest. The foam will reduce echoing. In theory the silicone will absorb noise by jiggling like jello.

This whole thing is going to take patience and any short cuts will bite you in the ass. The silicone and the foam will not interfere with the threads of the rail so don't stress about it, just put the fasteners back in when everything is cured.
Last edited by Boo on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Boo's Ideas sound great. I worked on mine also. I took that black pipe insulation. Cut it fit tight and filled the rail with it. Staying back from the trigger. I also placed felt between the stock and rail.And filed the voids in the stock. Added a 452x 40 strand string with whiskers.
Thanks Boo for schooling me on making a string. Also a string stopper.These steps really helped. And when i did this to my wood stocked Relayer wow.
After hunting season i might try the silicone.
Thanks for the tips Boo
pwweave94

Post by pwweave94 »

Thanks alot for the tips Boo! My silicone is setting up right now! Can't wait for a few days then test it out and compare it.
Matrix 380 XTRA
Xcaliber Custom String
BEA arrows by Big John

Axiom Alluminum rail
Core Filled
FFF string
Luma Zone
S5 Dampners
Firebolts with Lumenoks
Rage Crossbow BH 125grains
Bushnell Rangefinder
panhead Bill

Post by panhead Bill »

Boo thanks for your tips filled mine with the foam and capped with the silcone and shrinked wrapped the arrow holder made a big differance ordered the s5 will put them on next week ,will order a boo string next. Iam having problems with my lumizone holding zero now,was cocking the bow and reached down to connect the cocker and the bow frll forward ond landed on the top scope adjustment :shock: