Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

panhead Bill

Cocking your crossbow

Post by panhead Bill »

Anybody have any luck cocking there bow while they are in the tree stand. :D
Dereck

Re: Cocking your crossbow

Post by Dereck »

I have tried it sitting on the ground never in the stand.
I always cocked it on the ground and pulled it up
Last edited by Dereck on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tenpoint Matrix
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I can do it but I prefer to cock it on the ground then haul it up, unloaded, with a rope.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
rayman

Post by rayman »

j.krug wrote:I prefer to cock it on the ground then haul it up, unloaded, with a rope

Second that

After shooting, cock again in the stand. Not bad at all in my 2-seater ladder, don't like to do it in my climber.
frisky

Post by frisky »

My ladder stand platform is 24 x 30. I have tried , just to see if it can be done. I can do it. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

2 man ladder stand, no problem. A little trickier in Summit Viper, I have to take the stock around and up under the climbing bar & shooting rail and I have put it in the opening by tilting the bow once.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
strum

Post by strum »

i never liked the idea of pulling up or lowering my bow cocked..itsd ok to do but i just dont..i have no prob at all cocking it in the stand..i use a summit viper and lock on types..i also decock before i rope it down..its just how i do it everyone has different methods..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I do it up in my Viper SS, put my foot in stirup basically cock it using my leg. I have it under the bar, i don't think i would use bottom of metal grate unless i had carpet so stirup wouldn't slip.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
strum

Post by strum »

vixenmaster wrote:I do it up in my Viper SS, put my foot in stirup basically cock it using my leg. I have it under the bar, i don't think i would use bottom of metal grate unless i had carpet so stirup wouldn't slip.
my viper came with some camo sound damping tape ..i never put it on my stand but i use it for various things like,,i cut it ito one inch strips and wraped my stirrup..that way it doesnt clang on everything it touches...one time i decided to uncock with the bow resting on the rifle rest by holding the rope with one hand and gripping the stock i pulled the trigger ..it almost got away from me..wont do it that way again.foot in stirrup for me..
Last edited by strum on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
wabi

Post by wabi »

Several years ago I had a ladder stand that I could not cock the crossbow in because of the design of the stand (foot platform was between the ladder & the tree).

I screwed a metal step in the tree well above my head and wrapped it with tape to silence it and protect the finish on the stirrup. I could put the cocking rope on the string, hook the stirrup on the step, and cock the bow by pulling down using my body weight.
Not the most convenient method, but in an emergency (if I needed a quick follow-up shot) it would work. :wink:
wabi
Wildlife Control

Post by Wildlife Control »

When hunting from a tree stand I cock the bow first then pull it up with no bolt in it. For quick follow up shots I've found it's easier to load without the rope cocking aid. It's kinda hard on the fingers but not too bad if you're wearing gloves.
Florida Nuisance Wildlife Trapper

Excalibur Equinox
Easton Firebolts Brass Inserts
NAP Spitfires

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's MUCH more important than that.
skizmo

Post by skizmo »

I have a 2 person 17' ladder stand and I can cock my xbow no problem..I would not try it in some of the stands on the farm that are pretty much a bicycle seat with a foot rest. but hunting out of this stand is like sitting in the living room watching the "nature channel"

http://www.ameristep.com/treestands/9712_bc_17.html
2011 Ibex
GT Laser II Bolts w-BC Lumenoks
Muzzy MX-3 Broad Heads
Vari-Zone Scope
S5 System
X-Tender 1"
AP Camo Sling
Camo Scope Cover
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

vixenmaster wrote:I do it up in my Viper SS, put my foot in stirup basically cock it using my leg. I have it under the bar, i don't think i would use bottom of metal grate unless i had carpet so stirup wouldn't slip.
The Ultimate Viper SS came with the camo platform pad which keeps it from slipping and deadens some of the noise I tend to make.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

In my one person ladder stand I turn it sideways and cock it that way.
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

I actually saw on one of the shows to just hook the stirrup on your foot out in front of you while sitting and cock it.

I actually tried it saturday AM, i put the cocking aid on it right out of the case for carry, once i got in the stand (ladder stand with foot platform tuck into ladder) i sat down hooked the stirrup as far onto my boot as i could extended foot out in front of me flex foot out like standing on tip toes and cocked it. Wasn't near as hard as i though it would be.

One thing i suggest is bring elbows to your side rather than up as you are used to doing, this keeps the buttstock aimed at you gut rather than yer nose just in case!!!
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"