Help with my new S5 and brace height

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

billsmax

Help with my new S5 and brace height

Post by billsmax »

I'm in the middle of bow season and my Vortex is hitting right on. I've just installed my new S5 and directions say string should be almost touching bumpers. However, my string is at the 2nd brace mark and I hesitate to adjust the string right now while I'm in the middle of bow season and it's sighted so good. Do you think I'll have any problem for now with the string so far from the bumpers?
Dereck

Re: Help with my new S5 and brace height

Post by Dereck »

It should be about a 1/16th of an inch away I would not adjust it now wait till the season is over.
Tenpoint Matrix
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

i would remove the S5 too til after the season, if your not going to correct the brace height.... :)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
sneak

Post by sneak »

It shouldn't be any problem at all. Mine are about 1/4" from the bumpers and the string is still slapping them.
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
Time-N-Flight

Post by Time-N-Flight »

At one point,my String was 5/8" away from the Stops.I have seen no adverse effects from from the String hitting them.My Loops have now taken a set, and Im running about 1/8 -3/16 off the Stops.I would wait till the season ended before changing anything.JMO Good Luck!
Excalibur Equinox
GT Laser III
Hawke XB-30
Slick Tricks
UTG Law Inforcement Rings
Munch Mount
strum

Post by strum »

im gonna dissagree with everyone on this one..these excals set up so easy and stay so consistant that i have no prob doing a change here and there,,i say lower you brace height so you know its good, site that baby in and go huntin..no big deal at all..youll be more confidant when the shot arises.. :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I wouldn't hesitate to adjust the brace height. It will still be a tack driver. I also think it's fine to leave it if you like. The S5 will still be of some benefit. Before I put the S5's on my Vortex the string would slap the back of the riser when I fired it.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You will want to leave around 6 twist in your string to keep your serving from separating if you have more twist in it and can adjust the brace height closer to the bumpers go a head it will only be a miner speed ring adjustment to put you on zero again .
If your string is on the short side still stretching just leave the S 5 on and shoot it as it is . it will not hurt it you just will not get the full effect of shock and sound suppression but soon your string will stretch and get to were you want it but by then you may be ready for a serving job .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
billsmax

Post by billsmax »

Fellows, Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I think I'll just leave "as is" until the season ends this Friday.
Don just emailed and told me my string he just reserved is in the mail, so after season, I'll install newly served string and go from there.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i think its a shame the s5 isint adjustable. maybe excalibur could offer different length rubber stoppers. i took mine off my equinox because i didnt like the high brace height. defeats the need for speed.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

It won't bother a thing to leave it. You're still getting dryfire protection and lowering the string to touch won't do much to quiet the bow anyway. I usually fix something until it's broken but THIS would be an exception (have homemade STS on all three of my bows.)
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

strum wrote:im gonna dissagree with everyone on this one..these excals set up so easy and stay so consistant that i have no prob doing a change here and there,,i say lower you brace height so you know its good, site that baby in and go huntin..no big deal at all..youll be more confidant when the shot arises.. :D
I agree with Strum, set your brace height to where it is supposed to be and re-sight if necessary. You won't be off more that a couple of clicks. If you use at excal scope, dial it in at 20, then shoot at 50 to see if the speed was affected. Set the speed ring until the arrow is the correct elevation, then center from left to right if necessary and you will be good to go. I am betting that the speed will not change enough to make a difference. My string stretched all summer.
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta