String Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

End of the road

String Question

Post by End of the road »

After a good long life I finally had to replace the original Excel Dacron string on my Exocet 200. I had another new Excel string and put it on the bow but have a few questions. Should the Excel string have twists when put on and which way should I twist the string to get maximum serving life. Also, how long does it take for the string to stretch out and settle down? It has been on the bow three days now and the string still sits high with only one twist in the string. My bow shop put the other string on so this is the first time I changed the string myself.
MarkMarine

Re: String Question

Post by MarkMarine »

I put about 3 clockwise twist on mine. To aid it in stretching, fire it. It will stretch somewhat without doing so, but firing will quicken its "seasoning".
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The wrong way will loosen the serving wraps as you apply twists.
"Eze 18:21"
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Twist the string in the same direction as the serving is wrapped. Look carefully to determine if that's clockwise or counter, then proceed. Twisting away from the direction of serving wrap loosens the serving. Not all strings are made equal. Have had some that take forever to come down and then only marginally. Just shooting the bow facilitates string stretch...and is more fun than leaving a bow sit cocked.
:D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

Thanks for the info. The old eyes are not what they used to be and I had to use a magnifying glass to tell but the servings on my new string were a clockwise twist and I put in three on the string. The string is a bit high so I'll go off to do some string stretching this afternoon.