My Dumb mistake.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michaelrbauer

My Dumb mistake.

Post by michaelrbauer »

I made a mistake that cost me an 8 point buck. I was hunting out of my gun stand and had partially removed the shooting rail. A nice buck came out and was standing broadside to me and totally unaware that I was up in my stand I put the crossbow down on the 2Xr and had a perfect shot which I took. The bow did not sound right upon firing the buck jumped and ran 20 yards stopped and looked around. It was there for a full 5 min 30 yards away still not seeing me. was going to cock the crossbow and no string. looked around and found out what had happened. When I removed the shooting rail and left the mounting bracket in place. when I went to shoot the bow was in front of the bracket and the string was behind it. It unstrung my bow perfectly. Bracket is now remove and I am just waiting to see what my next dumb move will be.
Vortex, Lumiscope, 100 gr spitfires
43.11 N 88.22 W
agingcrossbower

Re: My Dumb mistake.

Post by agingcrossbower »

After a while you will be suprised at what can all happen. Just learn from it and push forward. :D
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats bad fer yer shot on Buck. I have heard of ppl actually shooting their stand & i have knowed others that let the limbs smack box fans & others have shot other things they won't own up to :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gogo

Post by gogo »

can't wait for people to wade in on this one, we should see some dandy stories.
Wildlife Control

Post by Wildlife Control »

I was turkey hunting from a pop up ground blind and had a nice big tom in the cross hairs at 15 yards. I was positive this bird was going home with me. I squeezed the trigger and my Equinox slapped me in the face and the tom took off without a scratch. In the excitement I forgot to allow enough room for the limbs to expand and the right limb hit the side of the blind. That was a few years ago and since that day I ALWAYS check for clearance before taking a shot.
Florida Nuisance Wildlife Trapper

Excalibur Equinox
Easton Firebolts Brass Inserts
NAP Spitfires

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's MUCH more important than that.
strum

Post by strum »

this is not a bad shot story but i thought i would throw it in..
about 15 years ago i was bow huntin in n alabama.
not having a productive year i was realy needing a deer to walk in..any deer would do :D
sitting in my stand around 9 in the morn i felt the urge to pee..so i did what i should have :mrgreen: ..i waited..and waited and ..well i was about to bust and ready to go ( i keep a bottle in my pack ) when wat do you know here comes a biggole doe headed straight to me..i thought..ok girl im ready for ya..and she layed down :( bought 35 yard out behind a pine tree..and i still needed to go :shock: after eternity i could not stand it any more so i eased up and got my bottle and did my thing as quiet as i could,,finished up and sat down to watch her walk away .stopping to give me that look of
I SAW YOU :oops: dang deer
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

:oops: sorry i'm too embarrased to tell it :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yep it happens...Ive done plenty to scare of nice deer in the past..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

agingcrossbower wrote:After a while you will be suprised at what can all happen. Just learn from it and push forward. :D
Story;
I had this habit of climbing the tree and setting my portable stand. Then I would sit down pull up my bow and pop open a little skunk scent and let a couple drops hit the ground. All was good. One time I got to the part where I sit down and for some reason poured the skunk scent out first and then pulled up my bow. I suppose you know who the dumb ass was that was sitting with a skunk soaked bow for the night. :oops: :oops: My point is what can happen will happen. Of course I was 12 at the time. Lies, Lies, Lies. :lol: :lol: :lol: