Other outdoors pursuits...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Other outdoors pursuits...

Post by TPM »

Wabi's recent thread got me thinking about what else everyone enjoys in the great outdoors besides going after deer with your crossbow. I know, for myself, I also pursuit deer with a rifle, shotgun or muzzle loader every fall. I have a great passion for upland bird hunting. Love to get out grouse hunting and if I "won the lottery" I would be spending much of every fall chasing pheasants in South Dakota. :D Of course spring turkey hunting has become an obsession. I have fished on and off most of my life but I've currently decided to give fly fishing a try. Got some gear, been doing a lot of reading and plan on jumping into that feet first next spring. Outside of hunting and fishing I enjoy target shooting. Have shot in a recreational 5 bull .22 league in the past. I also love doing 3D shoots with my crossbow every summer. Of course I always look forward to the annual family camping trips every year. Mostly "car camp" these days but it's still a lot of fun.
Anyone else???
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Panhandler80

Re: Other outdoors pursuits...

Post by Panhandler80 »

Mostly saltwater fishing here...

Mostly bottom fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, BUT... I also do a lot of inshore / nearshore stuff like... live baiting for trout on the flats, stalking reds with artificials, scalloping, fishing for flounder, gigging flounder, sheepshead fishing, sight fishing for ling (cobia) in the spring, cast netting mullet, catching squid in the spring for fresh bait / calamari. All pictures are the past 18 months

Here's a good little AM bay trip haul... trout, black sea bass, flounder and a pile of blue crabs... back to the dock by about 11:00 am.

Sight caught ling on a jig
Here was a bottom fishing trip this past Saturday (9/24/11). An average offshore bottom trip for me. A four man limit of grouper and AJs, 8 black snapper, two big beeliners, 4 kings (give away fish), and a trigger

Bottom trip last fall when we were allowed to keep red snapper
Image. Gone are the days of having a picture with Red Grouper, Gag Grouper, Red Snapper and Amberjack all in the same picture. Ughhh.

A little spring time sheepshead action (right after deer ends, right before ling start to run). This was this past spring

Squid action
Image ONE serving of this and you'll NEVER order calamari at a restaurant ever again

The past couple years I entered for alligator permits and we managed to kill four alligators, but no real monsters. Next year we're going to do some scouting and go after a big boy rather than just taking the first decent ones that we get within range.

On occasaion I'll go freshwater and throw beetlespins for titty bream, or maybe set a trotline for some whiskerfish.

Used to shoot a lot of hogs, but I no longer have access to that property. A great spring time activity after deer ends and the fish haven't really fired up yet. I shot countless about like this guy,

We also do a lot of booze cruising / raft ups at a local barrier island here. You know.. this kind of stuff...

You also might find me once or twice a year kayaking or canoeing down one of the several cystal clear spring fed creeks that we have here.

What else... clay shooting, target shooting, just riding through the woods in the offseason looking for snakes / coyotes / deer surveying, etc.
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
rayman

Post by rayman »

Almost anything outside. Taking time out of bow season to go out in the gulf tomorrow after gag and red grouper and sea bass. (I'd give away an AJ long before I would a king - personal preference I suppose) Favorite fishing is gulf offshore and taking my son and his friends to our pond for bream and catfish. Fish gigging and bowfishing in fresh water. Haven't frog gigged in a long time but used to love it. Scalloping in the gulf. Shrimping in the river. Deer hunting. Taking my son squirrel hunting at least once a year. Spring turkey is pretty serious. Used to rabbit hunt a lot but don't like eating them anymore. Was into hog hunting with dogs for a while - everyone should do it at least once in their life. Camping sometimes, but do a lot of late cookouts out and come home for bed. Will think of more later I'm sure.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Skiing,snowshoeing,hunting for most anything . If it involves being outdoors , I have tried it or might . :)
I would have to say my main passion is turkeys .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I have many other hobbies and interests most of which involve being outdoors. Hunting (archery & gun), fishing, camping, canoeing & kayaking, cycling (trail riding & touring), hiking, rc car racing, IPSC & PPC shooting, plinking with my 22's, dabble a bit in photography, love to golf and I enjoy doing some woodworking too. There's probably a couple things I left out but that's most of it.

My 3 girls have been raised around guns and shooting and the 3 of them enjoy shooting with their old man. Nothing better than spending an afternoon out in the sun shooting with them!! :D
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

In the fall I also love goin after deer && hogs with my rifle or black powder. I love to duck hunt. Dad has me addicted to it! I chase after those longbeards in the spring. Deep sea/river fishing in the summer. I horse ride with my best friend Ashley. Love goin out to the skeet range, even though I suck, I still have fun laughin over the fact how I missed it && how I can shoot a duck flyin faster than it. I enjoy goin to the gym and workin out. Use to be a fire explorer for 3yrs. That was alot of fun. I'm active with the church I go to. I could go on. To say the least I am a very active person. If I am outdoors doin something, I'm happy. Hate bein stuck in the house.

Skeet range

River Fishin

Turkey Huntin

Duck Huntin

Ridin

Gym

Here is a video of a big ole hammer head that ate my king fish
http://www.youtube.com/user/captstan1#p ... 8wBKN1uj3s
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

Cool video. I can promise that you had more fun wathing that than trying to eat that king.

Last weekend we had a young tiger shark come up to the boat and put our chum bag in his mouth... he honestly just gummed it, and then swam off.

That was only the third tiger that I've ever seen alive.
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

Panhandler80 wrote:Cool video. I can promise that you had more fun wathing that than trying to eat that king.

Last weekend we had a young tiger shark come up to the boat and put our chum bag in his mouth... he honestly just gummed it, and then swam off.

That was only the third tiger that I've ever seen alive.
Thanks. If you go through the other videos on dads youtube page you can see tons more videos of not just me but him out there with other people. And yes, I did have more fun watchin the hammer head eat my king -lol-
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Snake in the house!!! HILARIOUS!!!! my wife would be going nuts telling me to shoot it cause i am would be trying to catc it heheeheh
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

Where to start :lol: my wife says I have waaaay too many hobbies! I love to hunt, fish , 3D with the Dryfire Team (when I can), ty flyies(when I can), camping( not enough), trapping the list goes on. All outdoors and I own a masonry construction company again outdoors...see a pattern :D
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
wabi

Post by wabi »

Well, I tried skydiving but gave it up after my ankles & knees healed up enough to go back and make one more (successful) jump. :lol:

Then I tried motorcycle riding but gave it up after I got out of the ICU and then out of the back brace and was able to take one more (successful) ride. :roll:

Now I mostly confine my outdoor activities to hunting & fishing on a limited basis. (there's only 24 hours in a day and I have to sleep a few of them and work a few of them, too - which limits the hours I can hunt & fish)
One small problem is that after the sprained ankles & knees and broken back from the other adventures I sometimes have to stop to rest when hunting or fishing. :shock:
Went fishing this evening (bluegill with the fly rod) since it was windy & a good chance of rain. Will probably hunt tomorrow evening (weather permitting), and do a little of both this weekend.
And I promised my son we could go squirrel hunting one morning this weekend.
wabi
Dash

Post by Dash »

Most of my spare time outdoors without a crossbow I spend out bush looking for nuggets. For me, I love just being out in the bush. So to find a nugget patch for me is a bonus, not the only reason I do it. I just love exploring in the bush and checking out the wildlife. Time in the bush is the only time I'm truly relaxed. Campfire at night, you can't beat it.
Detecting the Mirage.jpg
A days wage.JPG
Big Ones.JPG
Last edited by Dash on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I have to admit that in terms of my outdoor passions, crossbow hunting comes in third after:

1. Deer hunting with a rifle in the big north woods, good ol' Ontario style:

2. Beagles & bunnies:

I also like to shoot trap & skeet recreationally. With that comes reloading shotshells, which I find to be therapeutic; a great way to "decompress" after a tough day! :D
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

10-4 on the rifle thing.

The length of our seasons here make things kind of fun. By this I mean that if you archery hunt, you get a full month in before everybody else. It's fun to be out there first and the challenge is great. What's equally great, though... is that no matter how frustrated you might get with shots not presenting themselves, you know that after a month of banging your head against the wall, you can bust out the thunder stick if you're so inclined.

There's something to be said for propping that rifle up in January and simply reaching out and touching a deer after the trials and tribulations of achery season. Archery is, however, a GREAT way to start the season... at least in my opinion.

I can barely stand it anymore. All of the folks south of me are killing deer, and I still have THREE WEEKS!!!! I dreamed about deer last night. Grrrr.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Anything that takes me outdoors...I love to deer hunt obviously and thats a good long season..Fishn,Frogn,pheasent hunting, deer shed hunting,noodlin, trot lines jug lines,snagn, mushrooms in the spring,girls oh wait no dont do that anymore. :roll: .lol..I do treasure hunt as well. Im like Googoo I hate being in the house couped up..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!