Going without.........

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowholic

Going without.........

Post by xbowholic »

A scope this year!!! I took my scope off in early spring and went back to the factory sights; have shot all summer long like this and feel comfortable enough to hunt this year without a scope; the phoenix is death out to 50 yards but no need to worry b/c I never shoot at a deer that far; 35 has always been my cut-off point and most of my deer ( 95% ) have been 20 or less; have really gotten use to not having a scope; I will keep all here posted as my season unfolds as to my success or failures without one;

I am in no way suggesting that anyone try this b/c scopes are a big plus and they do improve accuracy alot; I hunt so hard and in very thick, swampy bottom land, to the point I wanted to try and do without a scope; like stated, I have been shooting ALL summer long, not just a little bit, but thousands of arrows over the course of several months and have gained the confidence needed to hunt this way; I'll see how it goes.
theoldarcher

Re: Going without.........

Post by theoldarcher »

I hunted for a while without a scope on my first Phoenix and used the factory fiber optic sights. Killed several with it that way as a matter of fact. But as I get older my eye sight is not what it used to be so I am using a scope now. I got a barska 3 dot illuminated scope (not a red dot) and love it, but if I could still see...I would still be using the factory sights.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

My eyesight is not good enough these days to hunt without a scope. When shooting my guns that have iron sights I have to choose between having clear sights and a blurry target with my glasses on or I can take my glasses off and have a clear target but not see the sights. :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

j.krug wrote:My eyesight is not good enough these days to hunt without a scope. When shooting my guns that have iron sights I have to choose between having clear sights and a blurry target with my glasses on or I can take my glasses off and have a clear target but not see the sights. :lol:
Google 'Merit' [sic] eye cup. Suction cup goes on glasses and adj aperature swings to where needed.
Clears all up for me.
"Eze 18:21"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Here is a link to info about the eye cup optical device - looks like a great idea!

http://www.gunblast.com/MeritOptical.htm
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Well, thats the reason I quit shotgun deerhunting. I thought I just could'nt hit the side of a hill. I prefer archery anyway but its good to know i have an excuse now. :lol: :lol: :D I could never focus. WoW.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I went today and scouted a location that I had killed several at before in the past seasons and was suprised to see how much it had grown up with saplings. I finished making a ground blind and got to thinking about how thick it was and having a scope on my Phoenix. I was worried that I might not see the twigs and such in the way when looking through it so I took my scope off and put my fiber optics back on. Sighted it in and it is drilling at 20 and 30. We'll see if I made a mistake or not in a couple of days.