First 2011 Ontario Meat Buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

korey99

First 2011 Ontario Meat Buck

Post by korey99 »

The first morning of the 2011 Ontario Whitetail season proved a success for our family. I took the young fellow out with me this morning to see if we could get him in front of a deer, wind and all (man, it was WINDY!).

After about an hour on the stand, I had this little 6 pointer meander in behind me, browsing on the vegetation with little concern. I was extremely lucky that he came upwind, as he was within 25 yards before I knew he was there. Since my ladder stand wasn't situated for deer coming in from that direction (isn't that always the case??), I had to swing around, swap shooting shoulders for a right-hand shot (I'm a lefty), and ensure the left limb of the bow would not whack my tree once discharged. It seems like a lot to think about for only being opening morning! Do you realize how difficult it is to close your dominant eye and try to look through your scope with the other one?? Not easy, to say the least. But since he was only 20 yards away, I was confident I could punch one through the engine room opposite-hand.

Once he presented a nice broadside shot, I let loose with the Vortex, and the GTII equipped with a 100 gr Slick Trick and Brass inserts (followed by a Lumenok) was on it's way! The Lumenok worked excellent, and I watched the bright red nok slip right through his vitals. Amazingly, he took two hops, tail down (indicating a good hit), stood for a moment (at which time I expected him to simply fall over), and then walked off down a trail and disappeared out of sight. It was at this time that I began to question whether or not it WAS a good hit. Not wanting to push him if it wasn't, I sat in my stand for another 30 minutes, reliving the shot, and texting the young fellow to let him know what was going on (love technology!).

I proceeded to get down from my stand while the boy was on his way over to help me out. I spend 10 minutes searching the tall grass for the arrow, and finally was successful. I noticed lots of dark red blood on the vegetation while I was looking for the arrow, which made me feel better about the hit.

Once my help arrived, we began to follow the blood trail, and after a very short 50 yard walk, we found this guy in a swamp mud-hole - all four feet (up to his belly) and his entire head buried in the mud! I'd never seen anything like it in my entire life - but it explains why I didn't hear any more noise of him walking away, or having his last breath - his head was under-mud!

A hunt such as this almost makes up for all of those unsuccessful days afield.....7:45AM, after an hour in the stand, and we had a deer down.

A good start to fill the freezer this fall. Pressure is off - now it's time to get the young man his first deer, and keep up the quest for ole Mossy Horns.

Good luck to all this fall.

redmandant

Re: First 2011 Ontario Meat Buck

Post by redmandant »

WTG, bud, nice to hear one down so far. I am plagued by the lefty gene also, love that groundpounder mount for exactly that reason, ya can switch up if ya need to. Well done.

RED
I know I can't spell but does it look like I CAIR!!!!!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the buck harvest looks like you did fine shooting from your week side great job he is a nice deer.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Good shooting....Congrats!!

Jay
150 lb Wolverine
165 lb Exocet
175 lb Phoenix
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats on the buck! I love that you shared your experience with the boys... nothing better!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Thats going to be some tender meat and nice shot placement. BAM! :D
IAMCANADIAN

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

Congrats :)

One tip.....you may want to post at least one pic with your tag visible....I know for a fact the MNR checks out these boards.....and they can/will cause you trouble.

IAC
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

Good job Korey! Was it ever windy this morning, but you got it done...and I convinced myself not to go out :?
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Nice one! the pic look great also.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Good looking deer. Glad I'm not the only one that second guesses my shot after the deer makes off. Your deer sure are bigger-bodied that what I'm used to in Florida.
Cryon

Post by Cryon »

Congratulations Korey
As always into the deer
Congrats again
Good luck with Mossy Horns
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Congrats! Very cool the kids got to participate. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

That is going to be some good eating! Congratulations
sneak

Post by sneak »

Congrats! Nice deer! 8)
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope