Couldn't find my 8 pointer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Limbs and Sticks

Re: Couldn't find my 8 pointer

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Billsmax, hunters lose deer often, I've lost my share with ML and rifle, not from a bad shot, sh-- happens so I wouldn't worry about it, go huntin and good luck on the next one.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
frisky

Post by frisky »

Been there , done that. :oops: Better luck on the next one! :D
Last edited by frisky on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sorry to hear you lost one, but it happens.

My advice would be to think about if there is anything you would do differently next time.
Shorter range?
Different aiming point?
Better (more stable) shooting position?
Check for possible brush in the arrow's path?
Be sure the deer is calm and not moving (or about to move)?

It should always be a learning experience!
Whether it's deer #1 or deer #101 there is always something to remember and learn from - dead deer or not!

Only you can be the judge of whether your shot was ethical or not. You were there - we weren't!
Even if you wouldn't try it again today doesn't mean you were wrong in trying, it just means you learned a lesson from it. :wink:
wabi
Gregoire1960

Post by Gregoire1960 »

Even the most proficient hunter can miss by a few inches..... it happens. Not sure I understand why you're "pleased with the shot" however. Just curious why you only searched for 2 hours? You might be surprised what a more thorough search might turn up. I found the best deer I ever shot (10 pointer) after 8 hours of searching. If you know anyone with a hunting dog you might find it quite fast, if not, a grid search with a few buddies might do the trick. Best of luck finding the deer, don't get too discouraged.
Wildlife Control

Post by Wildlife Control »

Keep your chin up Bill....most of us have been there too. If you had found that buck we'd all be saying "congratulations on a nice shot". The first deer I shot with a bow was at almost 50 yards. The 100 grain Thunderhead went through the shoulder and the heart. That 6 point made 2 jumps and crashed....he's on the wall by the fireplace. I wouldn't take that shot again but I did then and everyone was quite impressed. There are so many determining factors with each shot who's to say what's right and wrong unless they were there standing next to you. I stopped using the Boltcutter because of poor blood trails. They did a good job of killing but the bloodtrails were sometimes hard to follow even when the shot was dead on. Maybe that buck will show up again...I've seen it happen before. Best of luck to you next time.
Florida Nuisance Wildlife Trapper

Excalibur Equinox
Easton Firebolts Brass Inserts
NAP Spitfires

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's MUCH more important than that.
deerman

Post by deerman »

Just remember sound travels at over 600 fps so a deer will be either ducking down or making it's move before the arrow reaches 30 yards of air travel. I wont shoot past 25 yards even though the great Exomax will shoot out way further than that.
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
vh64

Post by vh64 »

Advice I would keep those ones to myself. Good luck
Love my VORTEX !!!!!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sorry to hear that you didn't recover that deer. I hope things turn out better the next time you're out hunting.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

well yes it happens to the best of us...but it would have been prudent to wait till next day to track instead of 30 min later....if he wasnt hit moratly most of the time they will go 75 100 yds and lay down.. and you spook him up after 30min he may not lay down again for along time...learn from it is the best you can do..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

wabi wrote:Sorry to hear you lost one, but it happens.

My advice would be to think about if there is anything you would do differently next time.
Shorter range?
Different aiming point?
Better (more stable) shooting position?
Check for possible brush in the arrow's path?
Be sure the deer is calm and not moving (or about to move)?

It should always be a learning experience!
Whether it's deer #1 or deer #101 there is always something to remember and learn from - dead deer or not!

Only you can be the judge of whether your shot was ethical or not. You were there - we weren't!
Even if you wouldn't try it again today doesn't mean you were wrong in trying, it just means you learned a lesson from it. :wink:
Well said Wabi .... sorry you lost the deer , a good hunther alway learn from is good or bad experience (some time you do not get lucky. lesson learn ) hope you get another chance
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
saxman

Post by saxman »

Yes sir, it happens but you've been hunting long enough to know that. Time stands still in those moments for me and it's hard to remember every detail.
Nothing is wasted in the woods. Good luck on the next one Sir.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011