Experience and P.A.D.'s

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

How long had you been using Xbows when you had most recent P.A.D.

Poll ended at Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:46 am

Never had one (knock on wood!!)
51%
Less than 6 months
11%
6-12 months
5%
1 year
3%
2 years
8%
3 years
5%
4 or more years
16%

Total votes: 37

new2xbow

Experience and P.A.D.'s

Post by new2xbow »

A comment in a recent post got me thinking, Of course we never plan to dryfire but of course it can and does happen. How much experience did you have with Xbows at the point of your most recent P.A.D. (dryfire)

As a follow up tell us at what point you had your first if you have had more than one

I started it off with "never had one" but i am only 3 months in experience wise.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
Time-N-Flight

Re: Experience and P.A.D.'s

Post by Time-N-Flight »

Im not saying that I never will, but I just have not had one yet.Im anal about things and find myself checking to see if there is an arrow loaded a couple times,every shot sequence.Also on the inside of my Butler Flip Up Scope Cap,I affixed a BRIGHT Orange sticker, that simply asks Arrow Loaded?. Cant miss it.I see it plain as day, every time I shoulder the Weapon,and get ready for the shot.
Excalibur Equinox
GT Laser III
Hawke XB-30
Slick Tricks
UTG Law Inforcement Rings
Munch Mount
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

every time ive had a problem liquid dry-fyre has been involved and friends near by. those go hand in hand with a D.F :lol: ive had 7 years with my excals and my most recent DF has been within the past year.

*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I don't remember exactly but I've been shooting crossbows for around 13 years or so and my first, and let's hope only, projectile absent discharge was this summer at Boostock. Of course it had to happen in front of the hundreds (approximate figure!! :lol: ) of people there instead of at home while shooting alone!! :lol: :oops:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
strum

Post by strum »

i noticed the .."never had one crowd" voted quickly while the others stood back ..hmmm... :roll:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Hallaketrout

Post by Hallaketrout »

Should add a column " never had one, but likely will at some point."
Because I caught myself with an empty rail just in time before firing one day, I was rushing because I was loseing daylight. Kind of gives you a sick feeling.
I have a very strict routine now when practicing, look at the rail, sight the target, look at the rail, remove safety.
Hope I never have a P.A.D.
You are only Young Once but have the rest of your life to be Immature!

Hunting
Kayak Fishing
Fly Fishing
Trap Shooting
30-06
And now Exocet 200/Lumi-zone
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Once you experierence the gut wrenching feeling, that you just dry fired;;;; It makes you be a little more carefull. :oops: I dry fire'd 1 time;; hopefully never again. :roll: :roll: :shock:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I had mine 5mins, the second shot.A good friend went to uncock his and forgot to put his foot in the stirup it hurt.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

How do I vote?
Thank you,
Raymond

Forgot that I wasn't logged in.

I have been having medical issues and dry fired twice, one time after the other. That was a disaster. I am feeling stronger every day and learned an important lesson. If I am not feeling well and cannot think what I am doing, leave my Equinox on its rack.
Thanks,
Raymond
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I havent had a true dry fire yet.I shot some arrows with plastic nocks that I had smoothed the sharp edge from and had two out of three "partial dry fires". Bow was loud,and arrow hit about 2 feet in front of target.DO NOT slick up a plastic nock. This is not a good thing!
I did have a saved by the bell(child) thing at the deer lease tho. Colton, my 9 yr., old had his VixenII at camp during spring turkey season. We got it out and shot it some during the middle of the day around camp.One of our other hunters had his grandsons down and all the guys at camp wanted to shoot and let the kids shoot,and ask questions about the crossbow etc. I was cocking the bow and loading the bow and trying to explain things as I went and answer questions. I was also trying to make sure that everybody was out of the way of limbs and nobody had a finger or thumb up above the rail,and that the kids kept the bow pointed in a safe direction etc...etc...etc.I was busy as a one armed paper hanger!!! It was one of my friends grandsons turn to shoot. I cocked the bow and gave it to him,he got in position and was lining up with the target when I hear this small, squeaky, 9 yr. old voice say..."Well, arent you even going to put an arrow on it" STOP!!!! WAIT!!! we caught it in time and no dry fire happened,but I can agree with some of the previous posts about friends and distractions being the root of most dry fires. Thank goodness for Coltons sharp eyes and his comment.It was a close shave.And I've had the Exomax 2 yrs
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

Here's a club I never thought I would join, The Dry Fire Club,well sad to say I joined that club today.Cocked the bow & got distracted didn't realize I never loaded an arrow. As they say the rest is history. Bow appears to be ok, limbs look ok.Only thing was the string flew off.So now I wait for a new string & a Stringer Tool so I can get in a tree by next Saturday. I feel sick. Just thankful I own a Excalibur recurve and not a compound.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome to the ever-growing club! You're in the best of company! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.