Equinox Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boomer

Equinox Bolts

Post by Boomer »

I was just wondering what bolt people are using with their Equinox and why. I have Firebolts right now and i'm not very happy with them.
Boo

Re: Equinox Bolts

Post by Boo »

The arrows that I use for all of my Excaliburs is the Carbon Express Maxima Hunters because they are tough and have a built in weight forward without a brass insert. But they are spendy!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

Been using the GTII for 6-7 years now because I prefer a faster arrow and I can build these to suit my requirements perfectly.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Hi Boomer

What was it specifically that you don't like with the stock Firebolts - curious minds wanna know.

I'll be purchasing a new quad set of arrows to be use for live hunting and will keep the stock firebolts for practice only, mind you that'll make some mighty fine practice bolts IMO.

Cheers
Ben
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

The problem i've been having is that the bolt is not penetrating. First I used the firebolt with a Rage 3 blade 100 gr and did not get a pass through twice at 20 yds. Lost one, got one. Last night, Firebolt with a 125gr Slick Trick at 30 yds and the bolt only went in about 6 inches. I didn't hit shoulder, it was a good shot. Lots of blood but I couldn't find the big 8 point. He double back on the blood trail. We waited till this morning and found him. The coyotes had found him first and they had eat'n the whole back end. It was very upsetting and I feel that I owe it to the animal I shoot not to let this happen again if possible.
When I had a Exomag with the 2219 Al. bolts, it was a not a problem to get a pass through. I'm thinking of getting rid of the firebolts and going back to using 2219's. That's why I am asking this question. I'm just trying to find a solution to my problem.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Not sure what the problem is with your poor penetration. I have a much different experience with that same combo.
8-9 deer with my Equinox, GTII and Rage 3 (355 gr. total) have resulted in 100% complete passthroughs and full recovery, all under 50 yards. My first buck took the Rage 3 through the upper shoulder and opposite leg bone from a nice close tree stand shot. He piled up 10 yards away. After pass through I found the arrow burried 8" in the ground. I had difficulty pulling the arrow out because the Rage was stuck in a root.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bigbuck

Post by bigbuck »

I use Firebolts, with 100 grain muzzys and the work great.
I get pass throughs every time.
IAMCANADIAN

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

I don't get it.....seriously. I'm shooting an Equinox, firebolts with BC luminocks and 100 gr. broadheads (Grim Reapers now, slick tricks before) and have ALWAYS had pass throughs.....even one exiting the offside shoulder, and that was a 40 yard shot.

I don't know exactly what the issue is, but I wouldn't fault the bolts.

*edit*: I forgot to mention....the deer up here are BIG. 175-225 is common.
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

I just got in six new Firebolts from BC with their luminocks installed and tipped them with 175 grain SlickTrick XBow Tricks. I've only hit my Block Target so far but the bolts are buried to the fletching at 30 yards. For the amount of money I have in these, I sure hope they do as well on the critters as they do on the target. Hopefully, before the weekend is over or soon there after, I'll have a report to share on a certain eight pointer and my set up, including my bolts.

Could Boomer's string be loose/stretched or the limbs messed up to cause less speed, penetration? What else could cause his bow to differ from ours? I have no idea but am curious.

Good luck!
Never give up!
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Boomer - although I only relative limited experience with crossbows in general in comparison to others here on the site, I'm still pretty sure that the issue isn't the bolts nor the heads, though 100gr is a little light I find personally, but not to that extent and cause this much lack of penetration.

My vote goes to another variable(s) as mentioned by Hoot as well: string or limb.

Also, is it properly maxed? Again, limited experience here, but too much max would turn "lubrication" into "friction" pretty quickly; same goes for the type of wax use.

Hope you can find the culprit soon!

Cheers
Ben
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I'm using a Flemish Dyna Flight String. I have an extra string, I will change the string and see if there is a difference shooting at a target. The brace height is fine. My buddy has some 2219's that I'm going to try to see if it makes a difference. Other then the above, I'm sure want else I can do. If this doesn't work I'm not sure what i will do.
strum

Post by strum »

i wouldnt fault the arrow. if your shooting good with it i think it may be just a run of bad luck..changing the shaft is not a fix..its a rabbit trail..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

If you try a new string and the firebolts are still not performing, stop the guessing and call Dan Miller, owner of Horizontal archery at 740 483 2312. If there's anyone, anywhere, who can help it's him, guaranteed! He's extremely, extremely knowledgeable, affiliated with Excalibur and a hell of a good guy too!
Never give up!
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I spoke will a couple of people and they recommended that I install heavier inserts to add weight to the bolt or go with an alumium bolt or heavier broadheads. I purchased 2219 Al. bolts. I used them with the Exomag I had and had no issues. The only issue with them was how far they would go out the other side of a deer. I just found it so unsetting with the last three deer, enough was enough. I felt this was my next thing to try. The cost was minimal. So you may see some Firebolts and Lumenoks go for sale soon.
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

Boomer
I ran into a similiar problem a few years ago with my Exomax, Flemish String, GTII arrows and 100 grain Thunderheads. Seemed like my arrows wanted to follow along the grain in muscle tissue/bone. I switched to the Firebolts and the Muzzy 145 grain "Dangerous Game Head". The results were devastating to say the least my deer now typically look like they been hit with a 12 ga. slug and I get direct pass thrus no matter the angle or what bone is hit. Good luck buddy :!:
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax