Flemish String -FPS increase

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Yarak

Flemish String -FPS increase

Post by Yarak »

I have been shooting an Ibex with the factory string and getting 286-288 FPS with a 408 gr. arrow. I decided to change to a Flemish string, just to see the difference. I shot a dozen shots, let the string stretch overnight and reset my brace height. I decided to chronograph, after cleaning the rail and applying some Jig-A-Loo. I couldn’t believe it 305 FPS average. I thought it may be a problem with the chronograph, but I double checked it with a second chronograph. Yep, 305. Is this possible?
new2xbow

Re: Flemish String -FPS increase

Post by new2xbow »

Not only is it possible, it is expected!!
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

Wow! That's some serious increase in speed. I only picked up 10 fps when changing to the Flemish. You got double that amount. That's impressive!
Yarak

Post by Yarak »

My string is still stretching, so I reset the brace height....309 FPS! Once the string settles in I think I might be able to add a few more. I really don't understand it, I wish I did. Maybe someone on the forum can enlighten me.
deerman

Post by deerman »

hankenhunter wrote:
new2xbow wrote:Not only is it possible, it is expected!!
X2 If you get a Comfybear or Boo flemish, you will shoot even
faster and quieter! :D
Hank
Where can one buy these Comfybear or Boo Flemish?????
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
strum

Post by strum »

Yarak wrote:My string is still stretching, so I reset the brace height....309 FPS! Once the string settles in I think I might be able to add a few more. I really don't understand it, I wish I did. Maybe someone on the forum can enlighten me.
you string is lighter than the excell you were using and the material has less creep which equals more energy transfer during the power stroke. im no tech so Boo can explain this better but you get the idea..
i tried some different arrow weights and different strings and found up to 16 fps difference between the excell and a Boo string..to my suprise i found different ratios with different arrow weights..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

deerman wrote:
hankenhunter wrote:
new2xbow wrote:Not only is it possible, it is expected!!
X2 If you get a Comfybear or Boo flemish, you will shoot even
faster and quieter! :D
Hank
Where can one buy these Comfybear or Boo Flemish?????
PM either one of them and tell them you would like to order one. I do not know about availibility - but they can tell you.
Yarak

Post by Yarak »

I ordered a string from Boo in July. You know I'm looking forward to that!!
deerman

Post by deerman »

Yarak wrote:I ordered a string from Boo in July. You know I'm looking forward to that!!

You haven't received it yet from a order you put in July???
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
Yarak

Post by Yarak »

End of July. No worry here. I think the wait is pretty typical. Especially during this time of the year. I know it will be worth the wait.
koko

Post by koko »

I put in an order for a string from Boo in early August. He said I would maybe get it by December. When it comes it comes. He told me to order a string or two from Dan till than. So thats what I did.
2010 Equinox
Boo string with cat whiskers
camo munchmount
Big John GT III arrows
with 100 grain 3 blade meat seekers
Dash

Post by Dash »

I wouldn't have expected that. Was it a factory flemish you tried?
Blackjack and I done some work shooting through a double chronys setup the other week with Excel, factory flemish, homemade flemish fastflight, flemish Boostring, and homemade astro flemish.
Using the same brace height, the excal dacron flemish was slower than the excal excel. But the Boo, fastflight, and astro were all minimum 10fps faster than factory flemish depending on strand count. When you put a factory flemish next to a custom or Boo, you realize how much stretch the dacron has as its a lot shorter.
I found the same as you strum, speed ratios varied with different weights.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Ibex????
According to Excalibur's specs you should be getting around 305fps with the fastflight string and a 350gr arrow. Increasing arrow weight to 408gr should result in something close to 293fps with the fastflight string.
wabi
Yarak

Post by Yarak »

Dash wrote:I wouldn't have expected that. Was it a factory flemish you tried?
Blackjack and I done some work shooting through a double chronys setup the other week with Excel, factory flemish, homemade flemish fastflight, flemish Boostring, and homemade astro flemish.
Using the same brace height, the excal dacron flemish was slower than the excal excel. But the Boo, fastflight, and astro were all minimum 10fps faster than factory flemish depending on strand count. When you put a factory flemish next to a custom or Boo, you realize how much stretch the dacron has as its a lot shorter.
I found the same as you strum, speed ratios varied with different weights.
Factory string, I think. Got it from Danny Miller.