Everybody

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Everybody

Post by sumner4991 »

Been having a tough couple of weeks . . .crappy couple of weeks. The county sewage backed-up and flooded into our house. The county has accepted responsibility, but, the bulk of the clean up was on me. There is a lot more involved too . . .the county doesn't want to pay replacement value, only actual cash value . . .which means I will be out of pocket a lot of money just to get things back to where I started.

I had to replace the wood floors . . .that's a dusty job . . .thick dust everywhere in the house. I had to clean that up.

The sofa and love seat got contaminated . . .the county doesn't want to pay anything on those. They are suggesting we have the undergarment "repaired" . . .what a joke. I may end up in court over this.

To add to the bad luck . . .the hard drive died on my computer. Probably due to the dust.

I got an ankle injury . . .had to get a cortisone shot for that.

Needless to say . . .I need to get in the woods and kill something, soon! :lol:

In trying to catch up on the posts I've been missing . . .

No, I have not gained any weight . . .in fact, one benefit of the sewage in the house, it kills your desire to eat . . .if anyone wants to try it, then it works.

Broadhead choice . . .some of you old farts are stuck in your ways on the fixed blade broadheads . . .try not to be narrow minded. The mechanicals work great as do the fixed blades. It's more of a matter of knowing your weapon. I personally can't say one is better than the other if used properly. However, since switching to the wide cut mechanical . . .I have yet to have a deer travel more than 50 yards.

Broadhead data . . .I will not be able to keep track of this. If anyone wants to take it over, then I will email the data to you.

DaGriz . . .I hope you catch your theif. That's a low life sob you are after.

CONGRATS to all the folks that have already scored! It's awesome seeing all the success and reading the stories. I have to live vircariously through you guys until I can get in the woods.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Louvp

Re: Everybody

Post by Louvp »

Sorry to hear your having a bad week.
As to Broadhead this old fart believes if it isn't broke dont fix it.
my Fixed blades fly exactly the same as my FPs I dont think I can improve on that. A perfectly flying fixed blade broadhead & a well placed shot= Dead Deer
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
Normous

Post by Normous »

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.May you luck change for the better now. I think some time in the woods will certainly help and my wish for you is a nice buck in your future sights.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Sorry to hear of your run of bad luck. :(
Being a licensed plumber the best advice i can give you is to have a backwater valve (check valve) installed on your sewer main to keep this from happening again.
Good Luck!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
wabi

Post by wabi »

georgiaboy wrote:Sorry to hear of your run of bad luck. :(
Being a licensed plumber the best advice i can give you is to have a backwater valve (check valve) installed on your sewer main to keep this from happening again.
Good Luck!!
X2 - from another licensed plumber in a different state. :lol:
wabi
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Sorry to hear of your problems hope you can get out to hunt soon it helps the thought process,I think on the broadhead thing mechanicals are the way to go for turkey because of the added shock to the bird on opening IMO.
The best things in life are not things!!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Damn, I knew you were to quiet. Hope everthing turns around for you soon. If there is anyway I can help just say so. Mike
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Sorry about the mess you have. I had a flood a few years ago. It wasn't sewer but it was a dang headache. Our son had left the water running in the sink by mistake with the plug in the sink drain, he was in a rush. Our basement was a finished basement, family room and so on. We went to town and came back to a completely flooded basement. It was a good thing for having a floor drain, otherwise I do not know how much water would have been in the basement. As it was we had three inches deep of water on the floor. What a mess and a headache. Thank God for insurance they covered everything. They had crews in the house within a few hours removing all the contents and tearing everything out of the basement and all kinds of industrial equipment to dry the basement out. And then the nightmare of getting it all put back together. I feel you man.
Raymond
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Man, that sucks. I hope it all gets sorted out for you and pay you what they should without the added expense of going to court. Hope you get out in the woods soon man.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Everything is almost back to "normal". I did lose a lot of data in that hard drive. I had most things backed up on an external hard drive, but, some things like my address book in Outlook Express, I can not find . . .so I have started over on the address book.

The back flow valve is installed. The county did that the week following the sewage flood. A root clogged the drain a few houses up the street and I was the lowest house this side of the clog. I had crap from all my neighbors in my living room and in my yard. It ran for hours until the crew got here to open the clog. Fortunately, I was home and able to open the line in the yard. Otherwise, it would have been much worse in the house. At least I had experience shoveling manure while growing up on the farm. The rest of the family ran for cover.

I could write a book about the decontamination process . . .just suffice it to say, I don't ever intend to go through that again.

The broadhead rant wasn't suppose to be a headline in this post. :lol: I certainly agree that if you have something that works, by all means stick with it.

Madmax2 . . .I've been hunting for close to 40 years. I never thought I would put shock factor and archery together in the same sentence. However, after hitting some of these deer with the large blade broadheads, it does seem to have a shock effect. I recall one doe that I double lunged and she just went to her knees and expired. I've done that identical shot and had the deer run for well over 200 yards with the small profile broadhead.

One advantage I plan on sticking with is the large amount of cutting surface, it has made a difference in some of the deer I have shot . . .especially the one I gut shot that went about 25 yards before falling over.

Mechanical . . .fixed . . .field point . . .all will kill a deer if you make the shot. I like the broadhead that will drop the deer when you don't make that perfect shot.

Mike, I still have some landscaping to do where the plumbers ripped into my shrubs and the sewage killed the grass . . .come on over. :P

Raymond . . .yep . . .just add the smell from the sewage and that's what I had here. Been cleaning everything . . .walls, floors, dishes . . .nasty.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Hate to hear about your run of bad luck Sumner. But this too shall pass!

On a lighter side, everytime I hear about people who have a string of bad luck, I think about the folks who owned the dog that lost a leg when it was hit by a car and only had one eye and no tail. He also could not bark, had mange and only part of one ear. I think his name was Lucky :lol: :lol: :roll:

Here's wishin' that this bad luck is behind you :D
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Dang man! Sounds like you were in some deep s**t! :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist. :twisted:

I hate to say it, but you'll probably have to take the county to court. If they've owned up it it being their issue, they should have to put everything back the way it was. Governments are notorious for trying to slide by and mess over the little man. :x Don't let'em get by with it!

Get out and shoot some guns of some type. It's a great stress reliever, especially if you can't go hunting. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I'm not very good at lawn care. I still believe dandy-lions are misguided flowers. :lol:
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I hope that all that is close to being behind you now Scott. I know that you are ready to get out in the woods and stick something. I know that you deserve some R&R time for sure. As far as the broadheads go I love my Meat Seekers, they have done real well for me this year. I have killed 4 so far this season and only had to walk to recover one at about 30 yards, the other 3 went down right where they were standing, and they were not spin shot... threw and threw shoulder shots. They leave a nasty hole as well. Hoping that you get in the woods soon Scott.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

agingcrossbower wrote:I'm not very good at lawn care. I still believe dandy-lions are misguided flowers. :lol:
They are my own personal state flower! My yard is the one in our neighborhood that looks like the homeowner would rather be doing something (anything) else than yardwork.I know that my neighbors love me.