new flemish string !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

thumper

new flemish string !

Post by thumper »

Just got my new flemish string today from Danny Miller. I'm not sure what to do though, I just got my Vortex "dialed" in. It shoots 307 fps with the factory excel string and right now it will shoot the same hole out to 50 yds, field points or broadheads(Swhackers). It puts the swhackers in the same hole as the field points, no SWAG involved. Is it worth it to change srings now or wait till after season ? What should I expect in reality ? I have the s5 on my Vortex also if that matters. And I can only hunt on the weekend right now, change it Sunday and shoot it thru the week to strech it. Will it only change my elevation ? Thanks in advance for any input !
gerald strine

Re: new flemish string !

Post by gerald strine »

I would wait I think if things are as good as you say I like to have my strings stretched out well before the season but it should not be that hard to deal with if you put it on now ether.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Would not mess with it now.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Cossack wrote:Would not mess with it now.
Ditto.....
In the Wind.......
fujimo

Post by fujimo »

I agree. Dont change it.
saying that though i changed mine and even with a new string that is in streach mode,and a different brace height than i sighted in at. It shoots exactly the same. My exomax is my first crossbow and seems to me they are very forgiving on changes.
Exomax
vari-zone scope
125gr. Rage 2blade
Boo custom string
wabi

Post by wabi »

As long as the old string is in good shape I'd stick with it at this point.

I usually put on a new (Boo) string a few weeks before season and have it sighted in and give it time to "settle in" before season starts. So far I've never had to switch strings during season, and rarely have to adjust brace height.
wabi
thumper

Post by thumper »

Thanks everybody ! I was kinda thinking the same thing about leaving it. It did seem like it finally "settled in" this past weekend and that's why I wasn't sure about the change. It took alot of shots and second guessing myself for trading my Parker Cyclone for the Vortex but I know I made the right choice ! I gave up some speed and quietness but I am alot happier with the Excal, call it piece of mind I guess! About how many shots does it take to "break in" a new flemish string anyway ? I'm not gonna be able to hunt for a couple weeks so I might change it then if they don't take forever to strech out and settle down.