Lost a buck...DISGUSTED with myself!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

georgiaboy

Lost a buck...DISGUSTED with myself!!

Post by georgiaboy »

I watched a small 8pt feed towards me for 10 minutes this morning, when he stepped from behind a tree i had ranged at 30yds and stopped broadside i let him have it. When it hit him i knew it didn't look good...right behind the crease of the shoulder but high, about 4 inches below the spine. :(
After giving it an hour and a half i climbed down and found my arrow, not good very little blood. I waited on my nephew to show up and when he got here we picked up the blood trail. There was very little to begin with but then it got better.
Well long story short after 3hrs and many sweeps through the bush no deer and this is the last blood...Image

I checked my bow when we got back to the truck...shooting 2in high at 20yds :shock: I don't understand this, this is the bow i qualified with and it was dead nutz, put it up and haven't touched since!! (My ibex)
I put a bad shot on a deer because i didn't double check my bow...i'm absolutely sick with myself right now!! :x
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
gendoc

Re: Lost a buck...DISGUSTED with myself!!

Post by gendoc »

HEY GB !!!
my son did the same thing yesterday with his high dollar scorpyd :shock: from a solid rest.

so perfect, so excellent built, so damn spensive :shock:
ain't worth having... even in his opinion now. he wishes he was shoot'n the max now :cry:

we trailed a blood drop trail til 11pm then he went in the cain't swamp !!!

o-well, it happens to the best of us from time to time.

you put forth good effort and you ran outta trail !!!

you will make it up next time :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

check all your screws. i had my axiom go sour. make sure to check the scope base. even though it has the 4 screw holes ive found you can have some play in it. i lift up on the front of the base as i tighten the 4 scews. ive found you can tighten the base and it can end up dive bombing on a downward angle and your scope will be off and may run out of adjustment.
fujimo

Post by fujimo »

I did the same thing last year on a big 150 in. 8pt. Broke my heart. Also high in the back . Had no blood for 50 yards then good blood then nothing. Looked for three days. I know it doesn't help but I feel your pain. Nothing to do but learn from it and go get another one bro. Sorry...but good luck the rest of the season.
Exomax
vari-zone scope
125gr. Rage 2blade
Boo custom string
doghouse ninja

Post by doghouse ninja »

sorry to here about your lost buck .some times these things happen it's part of hunting we hate it but it still happens ..i try to shoot my bow 1 or 2 times a week to make sure i'm still zeroed in ..i mostly hunt weekends so on friday night i shoot a couple times .
www.scentsmoker.com
cause it works !
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Thats to bad but it happens. From the description of where you hit it I think it stands a good chance of living. Deer are very very tough and can take a lot. I'd lick my wounds try to correct what went wrong and go hunting. Your not going to the store for some meat. Sometimes you just don't get it. I have been there more than once and I to know the sick feeling. Its sucks but its the way it is.
masboy

Post by masboy »

I know how you feel and it don,t feel good! Same almost for me I shot a nice buck this week at 33yds perfect shot good rest with him broadside looking the other way out in edge of field. Shot and waited a while too go get my deer . No blood no arrow till 50yds away I found my arrow broke off on ground with 3 inches missing with my rage gone. They been coming open and I been putting them back in a lot.I think maybe it came open in flight.my mistake looked all morning no deer and no blood except on my arrow.not good for my first and only expandable shot on a deer. No more expandables for me I guess I,m too stupid too use them I.m 57 and still learning from my mistakes. Shot my next deer with a g5 montec and blows thru And buried in ground so back too fixedheads for me! Good luck !!! No hit with a axe blood trail for me!!!!
masboy

Post by masboy »

I know how you feel and it don,t feel good! Same almost for me I shot a nice buck this week at 33yds perfect shot good rest with him broadside looking the other way out in edge of field. Shot and waited a while too go get my deer . No blood no arrow till 50yds away I found my arrow broke off on ground with 3 inches missing with my rage gone. They been coming open and I been putting them back in a lot.I think maybe it came open in flight.my mistake looked all morning no deer and no blood except on my arrow.not good for my first and only expandable shot on a deer. No more expandables for me I guess I,m too stupid too use them I.m 57 and still learning from my mistakes. Shot my next deer with a g5 montec and blows thru And buried in ground so back too fixedheads for me! Good luck !!! No hit with a axe blood trail for me!!!!
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

It happens and it is a crappy feeling.
I miss judged a distance last year on opening day and lost a 4 point.
It sounds like you did all you could and spent a reasonable amount of time doing it.

From now on I bet you try your bow before leaving for a hunt.
Tenpoint Matrix
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

masboy wrote:I know how you feel and it don,t feel good! Same almost for me I shot a nice buck this week at 33yds perfect shot good rest with him broadside looking the other way out in edge of field. Shot and waited a while too go get my deer . No blood no arrow till 50yds away I found my arrow broke off on ground with 3 inches missing with my rage gone. They been coming open and I been putting them back in a lot.I think maybe it came open in flight.my mistake looked all morning no deer and no blood except on my arrow.not good for my first and only expandable shot on a deer. No more expandables for me I guess I,m too stupid too use them I.m 57 and still learning from my mistakes. Shot my next deer with a g5 montec and blows thru And buried in ground so back too fixedheads for me! Good luck !!! No hit with a axe blood trail for me!!!!
we have never had a problem with spitfires prema-opening...
been bout 7 years now. we can't tell ya nuthin bout the rage,
ain't that the one that uses the o-ring ?

my son's scorpyd loss was stick'd with the g5 :cry:
jus can't blame it on the broadheads unless you recover or
discover a fault. he knows where his problem lies....
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
wabi

Post by wabi »

agingcrossbower wrote:Thats to bad but it happens. From the description of where you hit it I think it stands a good chance of living. Deer are very very tough and can take a lot. I'd lick my wounds try to correct what went wrong and go hunting. Your not going to the store for some meat. Sometimes you just don't get it. I have been there more than once and I to know the sick feeling. Its sucks but its the way it is.
X2
wabi
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I use spitfires with no problems and if i had to use another brand it would be the Shwacker head.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
BBDOWN

Post by BBDOWN »

It happens to the best of us,I hit 10point last year at 24yrds perfect shot. The tuff buger went 200yrds hit the road and was struck broadside by a school bus nothing left but busted horne. Deer are tuff as nails
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

BBDOWN wrote:It happens to the best of us,I hit 10point last year at 24yrds perfect shot. The tuff buger went 200yrds hit the road and was struck broadside by a school bus nothing left but busted horne. Deer are tuff as nails
You are lucky the insurance company didn't sue you for the damage to the school bus! LOL
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

just a suggestion, but i use loc tite, on every bolt and screw on my excal . Not sure if you folks have loc tite across the border or not you can get red stuff or blue.