Brain damaged deer for brain damaged hunter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Brain damaged deer for brain damaged hunter

Post by theoldarcher »

I had a burr under my saddle for the past several days due to making the bad shot on that doe last week and not finding her :oops: and decided that the only way to get over it was to get back in the woods and try again. :D I had also been thinking about moving my tree stand to the area I had shot the doe in to get off the ground and give me a little better visibility over a little rise where the deer had been coming from. So at 2:00 O’clock today I headed up on the ridge and moved my stand. It only took me about hour to get everything tore down and set back up so I had plenty of time to cool off before the deer that was using the area were due to move in.

Around 6:30 I saw a good sized deer come walking over the rise headed my way. Then I saw HORNS! :shock: This is the first buck I had seen this year and my blood got to pumping. I looked at him through the range finder and saw that it was a decent 6 point. He was 52 yards and taking his sweet time picking up acorns. At 48 yards he turns left and starts feeding away from me down hill. I pull out the doe grunt and give him a couple of sweet notes hoping he would come to investigate, but he just keeps feeding along. I hit the doe call again and he looks my way. Then back to feeding he goes, steadily moving away. I watch him until he is behind some thick stuff and I can no longer see him.

I looked back toward the rise and see a fawn (still in spots) come up over the rise looking for the doe that had been calling. Unable to find her it starts picking up acorns and feeding along. It never came my way but turned to the right and took its sweet time feeding along occasionally playing with a squirrel that kept scurrying around it. Finally just as it was starting to get dark it went on over to the oak flat and I lost sight of it.

As I turned around in my tree stand facing the rise again I catch movement from my left. :shock: The six point had come back! At thirty yards I put the scope on him and then moved the 30 yard dot to his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The arrow went over his shoulder and hit the ground behind him. He turned and ran a short way and stopped looking behind him to see what that awful noise had been. I sit there in total shock! :shock: I missed him at thirty yards, :shock: how could I have missed? :shock: Then the realization of what I had done hit me. In my excitement I had put the 40 yard dot on him instead of my thirty. :oops: Disgusted with myself I watched him wishing I could take that shot back.

Then much to my surprise, he turned and started coming back looking all around trying to find out what had scared him. As easily as I could I had to cock my crossbow with my hands instead of my cocker. Somehow, I managed to get the crossbow cocked and an arrow in it without him seeing me. He kept coming little by little until he was 31 yards away. I couldn’t believe he was going to give me another shot. :shock:

This time I put the 30 yard dot on his shoulder and pulled the trigger. :D He turned and ran back the same way he had came in. I missed again! :shock: Don’t know what happened that time. I just plain missed. He stopped and I thought he was going to come back a third time, but he finally had enough of that noise. He walked away, not in a hurry, just looking back over his shoulder from time to time.

I have to say even though I didn’t bring home the meat, this hunt was a good one. I saw deer, saw a buck, shot at the buck twice, and watched him walk off with a scratch. It is a lot better than what happened on my last hunt. At least I have the opportunity to try him again. Needless to say I will be in the backyard in the morning making sure my scopes not off, but I’m betting on just a case of good old fashioned buck fever. It happens! :lol: :lol: :D
Normous

Re: Brain damaged deer for brain damaged hunter

Post by Normous »

I think that 6 point now has you impacted in his data bank. I don't think that he will let you do that again :)
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Another head scratcher.

Stay after them. The bucks should be on the move in the coming weeks.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've done the "wrong yardage mark" thing more than I care to admit.

I finally went to a single crosshair (Leupold 2-7X shotgun scope) and use a 25 yard sight in. With the power set just under 3X I can use the duplex "posts" for 15 & 35 yards, but for most hunting shots I just use the K.I.S.S. method. If the deer is within 30 yards I just put the crosshair in the "center of the boiler room" and concentrate on making a good shot.
If the deer is beyond 30 yards I wait for it to get closer. I have never had one fail to get closer yet, but that's due to my stand & blind locations (close to a feeder).
Even with all those aiming points you can still use the crosshair & 25 yard sight in. :wink:
wabi
wabi

Post by wabi »

BTW - maybe the buck will return. I've found there's no difference in taste between a smart deer and a stupid one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

wabi wrote:I've found there's no difference in taste between a smart deer and a stupid one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
No truer words were ever spoken. :mrgreen:

Good luck on geting him. I'm guessing that he probably won't be back to that area for a little while. But as long as he didn't wind you, he'll probably be back around there before too long. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i think when you hand cocked your bow you didn't have the string centered and missed to either side of aim point....i had the chance at a 2nd deer after 1st one was down and was able to use string cocker to get another arrow ready but no shot set itself up....i'm missed and lost shot deer but that just lights my fire to get back out there and have a better go at it....any body who ever said they haven't lost a hit deer are still in denial :lol: ....no shame in saying you lost a hit deer, it just flat out happens to every body at one time or 2, 3, 4........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.