S5 Fails quality

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerman

S5 Fails quality

Post by deerman »

I purchased the S5 dampner at the Woods & Water outdoor show last month went to install it and the CNC machine work didnt make the surface that butts up to the riser on my Exomax fit flat to it so I filed the S5 surface and now it matches up with the riser, but tonight in the treestand I noticed where the rubber part on the S5 was spliting in half!! I have only shot it 6 times since installing. What I did notice is there is a seam where the mold form for making them was horizonal with the string and this is the cause of the S5 spliting in two. Im not very impressed with this dampner so far. I have had my Max since 2004 and has NEVER failed me,but this dampner so far in my eyes has failed to meet the Excalibur quality. I say make sure the seam on the rubber runs vertical. I cant return them as the show where I got them from is a hours drive from me. I think Excalibur needs to mail me out a new set of rubber stoppers. Good luck with yours. I also think the rubber is just a bit to soft.
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
georgiaboy

Re: S5 Fails quality

Post by georgiaboy »

I've had no problem with mine so far...about 150 shots. I turn mine about every 25 shots, but getting them to turn is a big pain in the a@#!!! :evil:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
munch

Post by munch »

we have one on my sons phoenix and it fits and works great no issues with the rubber .did you adjust the string so it did not touch the rubbers .any pics .and i'm sure if there was a flaw excalibur will fix you right up
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
AvianQuest

Post by AvianQuest »

deerman wrote:
I say make sure the seam on the rubber runs vertical.
Simply pinch the rubber between your thumb and forefinger and rotate them a quarter turn so the seams run vertical. As time goes by, you can rotate them a few degrees so as to distribute the wear.

However, if I understand that you filed the surface down, then that would expose the foam underneath which would result in accelerated wear.
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

This does not apply to you all but does anyone know where to purchase replacement bumpers for the original STS bumpers? I'm all worn out.
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've dry-fired twice now and there's been no damage to my bumpers. I keep a couple of credit card widths space between the bumpers and the string.
I believe that the holes in the riser is the issue with fit. I had 2 bows that the S5 would not install on to and I ended up running a drill bit through the riser hole to make it fit. I used a bit that was the "same size" as the riser hole.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've dry-fired twice now and there's been no damage to my bumpers. I keep a couple of credit card widths space between the bumpers and the string.
I believe that the holes in the riser is the issue with fit. I had 2 bows that the S5 would not install on to and I ended up running a drill bit through the riser hole to make it fit. I used a bit that was the "same size" as the riser hole.
Boo

Post by Boo »

vrodman wrote:This does not apply to you all but does anyone know where to purchase replacement bumpers for the original STS bumpers? I'm all worn out.
You can get them from anyone that supplies the S5. I got mine from David Wilkins@ Wyvern Creations
deerman

Post by deerman »

AvianQuest wrote:
deerman wrote:
Simply pinch the rubber between your thumb and forefinger and rotate them a quarter turn so the seams run vertical. As time goes by, you can rotate them a few degrees so as to distribute the wear.

However, if I understand that you filed the surface down, then that would expose the foam underneath which would result in accelerated wear.
The part of the metal surface on the S5 I filed is the flat part that meets up with the riser.I only took a thousands off with the file. I do have two credit card space between string and the rubber. It's just a failure of the rubber because the string was hitting 6 times on that seam thats on the rubber stopper.
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
Boo

Post by Boo »

deerman wrote:
AvianQuest wrote:
deerman wrote:

The part of the metal surface on the S5 I filed is the flat part that meets up with the riser.I only took a thousands off with the file. I do have two credit card space between string and the rubber. It's just a failure of the rubber because the string was hitting 6 times on that seam thats on the rubber stopper.
Never thought of what happens if you line up the string with the rubber. I'm sure you'll get a set under warranty.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

You can get a bad anything so i would just contact Excalibur and explain to them what happened.
Yarak

Post by Yarak »

I got 300+ shots before they split. My string is about 1/8th inch from the bumpers. I turned mine and have shot an additional 100+ shots with no ill effects, that I'm aware of. However,I did order some spares from Danny.
BrunoB

Post by BrunoB »

Mine split on the "seams" as well after 20 shots. Disappointing... Maybe it's because I had the seam align with the string.
Boo

Post by Boo »

BrunoB wrote:Mine split on the "seams" as well after 20 shots. Disappointing... Maybe it's because I had the seam align with the string.
It would seam that way :mrgreen: .....sorry, had to beat Wabi to it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
BrunoB wrote:Mine split on the "seams" as well after 20 shots. Disappointing... Maybe it's because I had the seam align with the string.
It would seam that way :mrgreen: .....sorry, had to beat Wabi to it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seams like ya'll have this under control.Isnt it great to have such a wonderful forum to come to for seamingly endless help and knowledge!