Broadside learns a lesson.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Broadside

Broadside learns a lesson.

Post by Broadside »

My father and I have been hunting on his friends property for a few years now. We have gone hunting together many times, and over the years I have harvested one deer with a shotgun, one with a muzzleloader, and one with an Exocet. Two bucks and a doe.

The following are the details of my very first independent deer hunting experience.

This Saturday was the first time the landowners permitted me to go hunting without my father on their property. I packed up my old Camry with the essentials - camo, knife, rope, headlamp, flashlight, crossbow, arrows, apples, and corn. The plan was to go sit in the stand for a few hours, and have some quiet time alone in the woods. Legal shooting light ended at 18:36, so I told my lady I'd be home by 20:00 so we could have a night on the town, and off I went.

When I neared the hunting property, there were eight to ten trucks parked on the side of the road by the neighbours place. I didn't think much of it, and went on my way to the stomping grounds. I set out some apples and corn 20 yards in front of the stand and climbed on up. I was all set by 16:15. A solid two hours before 18:36.

I found a comfortable position, made sure I had room to lift my bow, and relaxed. That's when the gunshots began. Not one or two shots; not five or ten - hundreds. This went on for about an hour - maybe two or three shots a minute for an hour. The shots sounded like they were a couple hundred yards away, and I thought the neighbours must have been having some sort of shooting contest. Then the shots got closer. Maybe 50 to 100 yards away - I could hear the sharp crack of close shots rather than the muffled bang of more distant shots.

I should mention that gun season doesn't start where I hunt until November, and there is no water or overhead migratory birds within range. If someone was hunting they were both trespassing and shooting out of season. I had a decision to make. Should I get out of the stand, wearing full camo, and confront the easy-trigger trespassers deep in the forest? Or should I sit tight and inform the landowner at a later date? I went with option B.

Around 18:00, with the light beginning to fade, the neighbours must have run out of ammunition. Silence fell. Within five minutes I heard crashing in the woods at my 12-o'clock. This was no squirrel; this was something big. I slowly eased back into the shadows of my stand and waited, hardly breathing.

BANG! A single shot rang out at my 12-o'clock. Did someone just shoot a deer with a gun during crossbow season? While trespassing? Within 100 yards of me? Or did the shooter make the crashing noises I heard? My questions went unanswered, and once again I was not in a position to get out of the stand and investigate - especially with the light fading fast.

I figured I'd wait it out and sit until 18:36. The forest was silent again. 18:15. No noise, no birds, no clouds. 18:20. Movement at my 10-o'clock. I moved my eyes without turning my head and there was a doe 100 yards away, looking right at me. 18:23, the doe starts walking towards my apples and corn. 18:24, a second smaller doe follows the first, and stops fifteen feet to the left of the first. 18:25, the doe on the right gives me a perfect broadside shot and I lift my bow. 18:26, I aim and release. The doe to the right took off to my 1-o'clock; the doe to the left fell to the ground, rolled, got up and ran, stumbling, after the first.

What the hell just happened? I aimed at the doe to the right, but the doe to the left fell over and struggled. I waited five minutes (I know, not the standard half hour) and got out of the stand. I went to the car and got a headlamp and flashlight, and looked for the blood trail.

Nothing. I went into the woods where I saw the two does enter the brush. Still nothing. I walked straight through the woods for about 40 yards before I found my doe. It was big - 150 to 160 pounds. Double lung shot. After finding my deer, I easily located the blood trail. I think I need to work on that...

It was at this exact moment, standing alone in the woods in the dark with a dead deer, that the local coyotes began to yelp and howl. Ok, I thought, no problem - get the deer out of the woods, field dress the deer, get the deer to the butcher. So how do you drag a deer? I don't know. I was about 150 yards from the car, through the woods. I grabbed the deers back legs and began to pull. And pull. And pull. Half an hour later, half way there - How the hell do old guys do this? The coyotes were close now - I left the deer and got my knife from the car. I figured I'd be fine if any coyotes got aggressive - I could leave the deer as an easy meal and get away. Either way, I'd rather have the knife than not have it. Back to the deer - lift the deer over a fallen tree - pull the deer under a fallen tree - move a fallen tree to make room for the deer... The next day I was informed that pulling a deer by its back legs is inefficient, and you should always pull from the front.

So, 20:00. It was very dark out, but I finally got the deer to my car. Standing over a deer with a knife, I realized I should have paid attention the multiple times my old man showed me what to do. No matter though - I brought a printed diagram on how to field dress a deer (also courtesy of my father).

Right. 21:00. Field dressed my first deer all by myself! I did a pretty good job - I was proud! It was time to put the deer in the trunk and get the hell out of there.

So the next problem - I drive an old Camry. How do you put a deer in a Camry? Well... You wrap it in a tarp, and put the tarp in the trunk. I didn't bring a tarp.

I called my Dad. I shot a deer, pulled it out of the woods, and dressed it, but I couldn't get the damn thing out of there without a tarp.

22:50 - My old man arrived with a tarp and we got out of there.

23:45 - I arrived home. I stumbled through the door, covered in blood and exhausted, to the tune of an angry woman. A woman who had been ready and waiting for a night on the town for four hours, whilst I was dragging an animal through the forest in the dark.

Saturday night was a night full of lessons, which I will henceforth carry with me. I hope you enjoyed my experience.

May your knives be sharp and your boots be dry,
Broadside.

Edit:

Here it is!!

This was about three hours after I shot the deer, so it's head wouldn't bend for the picture...
Last edited by Broadside on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumner4991

Re: Broadside learns a lesson.

Post by sumner4991 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Been there, done that . . .it suks.

What was all the shooting about?

Congrats on the doe!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Congrats on the doe.
Raymond
Broadside

Post by Broadside »

sumner4991 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Been there, done that . . .it suks.

What was all the shooting about?

Congrats on the doe!
I still don't know what all the shooting was about. I called the property owner on Sunday, but he didn't have time to talk about it. It's possible that he was with the neighbours at the time.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on your deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next time gut the deer where it falls, get the tarp (you'll be sure to remember), load the deer on the tarp and use the tarp to drag it. :wink:

The coyotes will be busy cleaning up the gut pile and the deer will weigh much less for the drag.
wabi
lscha

Post by lscha »

Congratulations! Hope your wife is happy with you again.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: 20 years ago when I shot my first deer, I tried to drag it backwards. Even with snow on the ground, I realized my mistake after about 50 yards. Any clues as to what all the gunfire was about? Did you really hit a different deer than the one you aimed at?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
maple

Post by maple »

That's my boy!!! :D

All grown up and doesn't need his dad any more. :wink:

Congrats have been bestowed!

Proud father Maple
Broadside

Post by Broadside »

ninepointer wrote:LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: 20 years ago when I shot my first deer, I tried to drag it backwards. Even with snow on the ground, I realized my mistake after about 50 yards. Any clues as to what all the gunfire was about? Did you really hit a different deer than the one you aimed at?
Still no idea about all the gunfire.

I hit the deer I aimed at. The other doe was looking right at me when I fired, and it must have panicked because of the noise. It was really strange behaviour for it to fall over and roll like it did.

I also learned that my hunting grounds are on a slight hill.
rayman

Post by rayman »

lscha wrote:Hope your wife is happy with you again.
I just move into the dog house before hunting season starts and don't worry too much about it. Then take the family to Disney to make up for it.
Broadside wrote:How the hell do old guys do this?
Keep a 4-wheeler and a piece of rope in the back of the truck. I'd rather work smart than hard. :wink:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

GREAT POST!!!!

Congrats on your deer and on the recovery. Dragging an Ontario deer is tough work no matter which end you grab! :lol:

Looking forward to reading of your next adventure now.

P.S. As soon as you let the arrow fly call your lady and let her know you have a good reason for being late. :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer deer & i enjoyed reading yer story
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Congrats on the Doe. I know all too well exactly what you are talking about with the out of season gunfire. Went through the same opening day here. The best lessons in life come on the cusp of feeling like you've been run through the mill. I bet you slept good that night though LOL
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Most stores are starting to get out my favorite deer drag accessory, SNOW SLED!!!! the plastic molded ones are the best!!
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Congrats on your doe...been there and done that on the wifey thing!! :mrgreen:
Enjoyed your story...Good Luck!! :wink: