erratic bolt flight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chopperchris

erratic bolt flight

Post by Chopperchris »

I own two Excaliburs, one exocet and one exomag.
The exocet has always shot like a dream and the exomag has always been erratic.
I always put it down to myself, bad bolts etc.
This year I bought all new bolts broadheads and luminocks.
my intentions beeing to have both bows set up the same.
Upon shooting the Excomag it was shooting up to 10 inches wild at 30 yds?
Upon further investigations I find a step from where the bolt rail meets the bow head. This step was quite noticable at least 15 thousandths of an inch.
I removed the bow head and was able to remove a litle bit of material off of the flat portion of rail. I reassembled and have a much less of a step but still slightly noticeable. The acuracy seems better but still 6 inches wild at 30yds.
My next step is to bring the rail to a machine shop and have them remove 4 to 5 thou off rail.
My question is if the bow head is lower than the rail will this also effect the bolt flight or will it act like a drop away arrow rest on a compound bow?
Thanks , Chopperchris.
Boo

Re: erratic bolt flight

Post by Boo »

Chopperchris wrote:I own two Excaliburs, one exocet and one exomag.
The exocet has always shot like a dream and the exomag has always been erratic.
I always put it down to myself, bad bolts etc.
This year I bought all new bolts broadheads and luminocks.
my intentions beeing to have both bows set up the same.
Upon shooting the Excomag it was shooting up to 10 inches wild at 30 yds?
Upon further investigations I find a step from where the bolt rail meets the bow head. This step was quite noticable at least 15 thousandths of an inch.
I removed the bow head and was able to remove a litle bit of material off of the flat portion of rail. I reassembled and have a much less of a step but still slightly noticeable. The acuracy seems better but still 6 inches wild at 30yds.
My next step is to bring the rail to a machine shop and have them remove 4 to 5 thou off rail.
My question is if the bow head is lower than the rail will this also effect the bolt flight or will it act like a drop away arrow rest on a compound bow?
Thanks , Chopperchris.
If the riser (it holds the limbs) is lower than the rail then it is a normal situation.
Are you using Blazers? The plastic shims under the limbs can stick out and may contact the vanes. Blazers have a higher profile than the others so it's a real possible.
Are you using the same arrows set of arrows on all your bows?
Is this only with broadheads?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Why don't you have Excalibur fix this is my question?
In the Wind.......
Chopperchris

Post by Chopperchris »

I am using the same bolts on both bows. They are easton carbon express I believe? As i say I have shot many differant bolts through this bow always having same effect? My exocet rail is even with the bow head and it shoots great. So you believe if my head is lower than the rail this will be ok?

I don't care to get Excalibur to fix this as we are two weks from the deer rut and I don't have the time to mess around???
Chopperchris

Post by Chopperchris »

Also I should say that my bolts are entering the target at an angle and not straight into it.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Try swapping front end units and see what happens. I assume you've done a nut and bolt check as well as checking the riser/limb bolts with out a string on it? If one limb has different tension than the other it will kick the arrow to one side.
How does an arrow with a field point fly?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Chopperchris

Post by Chopperchris »

I have done a torque check as well as assembled with low temp lock tight.
I have been shooting rage machanicals and have done my sighting in with the practise heads that come with them. I have not tried the target points this year but tried every broad head I could last fall before I put the exomag away and just used the exocet. As I said there still is a small step between the rail and riser. Even a little higher on one side than the other. What torque do you recomend for the limb bolts?
Thanks for all the input. I am a little bow shy to swap heads as my Exocet is shooting so well and I am just getting into the deer hunt.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Chopper,
If you can't get this worked out without maching your bow, you can make arrangements with Danny Miller and have your bow back in three or four days.
In the Wind.......
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

See4miles wrote:Chopper,
If you can't get this worked out without maching your bow, you can make arrangements with Danny Miller and have your bow back in three or four days.
Danny is only for U.S. customers . . .in Canada, send it to Excalibur. I'd call customer service and do as they say . . .they will take care of you. Besides, if you can't get it fixed, then it's no good for hunting anyway.

Call Excalibur.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I would give excal a call. They work hard to keep their customers happy and will get it done quick for ya, it's been my experience. Sometimes I wonder how they ship so fast. Don't machine your bow anymore than what you already have.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
peter p

Post by peter p »

Wow, I like to try to fix things myself before contacting any customer service but I don't think you should be shaving down the bottom of your rail.

If you had accuracy issues with your Exomag from day one, then you should have contacted Excalibur.
They would have helped you for sure.
Chopperchris

Post by Chopperchris »

Thanks for the tips gentlemen you are all correct. I will give the service dept. a shout and see what they say. I have hardly touched the rail and have not done any damage yet.Hence the reason I wanted to get it done by a machine shop. I will try and talk to someone here and see what happens.
On a differant note I wish I could post a pic of the 22inch 10 point buck my son shot last week he is only 10 but this is his third deer. The exocet has worked great for him a six point @ 7 a doe last year and now this brute. He is hard on dad's tag's but anyone with kids know's where i am coming from!
Thanks again for the tips this was my first post and really my first association with this Forum and it has been extremly helpful. I will keep you all posted.
Chopper
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'd like to see a picture of the brute too!

Good luck on getting your bow tuned up, I'm positive Excalibur customer service will impress you.

Man . . .you need some time with that Exocet anyway. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen