anti dryfire

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rufus

anti dryfire

Post by Rufus »

Is anyone using the anti dryfire on their excalibur and how is it working any problems etc.
awshucks

Re: anti dryfire

Post by awshucks »

I have one. Two pieces of 1" masking tape inside limbs saying 'Arrow' and 'Dummy', they occasionally fall off and need replacement. :D :D :D

We all need a sense of humor.
"Eze 18:21"
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Insurance if it works, tape did not work for me.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i have them on all of my xbows. saved me once so far.i have a camo version coming in the mail. should go well on the equinox.having this insurance allowed me to take the string stoppers off. helps to take some of that annoying front weight off.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I dry-fire my bow a couple of times a year with no repercussions so I'm not interested in putting one on my bow. I really do believe that the S5 will prevent damage to the limbs.
All kidding aside no one should tell you what to do with your bow (not that any of the posters have). So just get one!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Personally they are a little steep in price.
I have dryfired my bow with stoppers on it and no concerns.
I won't do it for the heck of it but I am sure they will protect my bow and absorb vibration when shooting.

But hey if you have to have one go for it.
Tenpoint Matrix
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Anti dry-fire would only get in the way of letting your bow down with a rope cocker. If excalipur didn't have such a gr8 warrenty program I would think about one. Come to think about warrenty ......hmmmm that's why I own these bows! I will save my hundred dollars but if it makes you feel better and more confident I say go get one. Buy two, see if camo or black looks better.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not taking a position on it as I don't have the anti-dryfire or S-5, but I do have a couple observations.

Both have their purpose!

The anti-dryfire from what I have read is no obstacle to letting down the string - it has a built in "disabled" feature. The anti-dryfire would prevent a dry-fir from forgetting to load an arrow.

The S-5 isn't an anti-dryfire, but it absorbs a lot of the shock. In the event of a "partial dry-fire" (like I had yesterday when my cocking aid hooks broke) it would help.

With Excalibur's warranty neither is necessary to have a damaged bow repaired under warranty, but on the other hand either (or both) might prevent losing a few days of hunting if something did go wrong.
Just like Excalibur's (and TenPoints) scope warranties the scope is quickly replaced with no hassle, but after having to return 3 "crossbow" scopes for replacement in as many years (and losing about 3 weeks of hunting time) I decided an investment of a better quality scope (Leupold) wasn't a bad Idea.

Shooting the Phoenix isn't as much of a risk as an Exomax or Exocet 200, and if I used one of those I'd seriously think about the S-5 and anti-dryfire. :wink:
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

A few folks on here are using the anti-dry fire and like it. I don't recall any complaints about them.
Give it whirl if you'd like one...the camo version sounds like a sweet option.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

foofoo where did you get yours and how much was it.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I bought the Excals precisely BECAUSE they have no ADF, so I can let em down w/o shooting. Gotta "fool" the one on my compound with a short piece of arrow to do the same thing. I treat the bows like any other firearm. Check to see if loaded, safety on at all times prior to moment of truth, FINGER OFF TRIGGER. Already have an Excal ADF...right between my ears! :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Found this on you tube
looks like it can be disengaged to uncock the bow with the cocking aid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEeAhc4vhCY
Tenpoint Matrix
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i think everyone should use what they want but if someone asks about a product i dont understand the negativity sometimes.if you use several brands of crossbows with auto safety and dry-fires on them you can get use to them being there. with the Excalibur if you get a brain fart you can go from cocking the bow to loading an arrow without throwing the safety on. in that situation you have a live weapon and it can be dangerous if while loading the arrow you bump the trigger . when i use to cock the crossbow in the stand and i can see where clothing or brush might make that happen. the dry-fire can be turned off by pushing the big lever forward. when changing out a string you learn how to do it. i know the limbs on the Excaliburs are pretty much bullet proof. i just dont like all the extra weight in the front and having a safety for dry-fire is a plus. i ordered mine direct from the website. they use to sell them on ebay also.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Thank you foofoo, i understand not wanting to add anything to your bow to cause trouble but if is not hooked to the trigger i don't see how it ever could.What is the name of the website.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

this is the company. they have been good to me with communication and ship out very fast considering its crossing the borders. depending on the exchange rate i think its around 70-80 dollars. for me WELL SPENT :wink: http://distributionpleinair.com/excalibur_acc.htm