Batteries for game cams

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Batteries for game cams

Post by Boo »

I've been chewing through batteries like crazy for all my cam and plot watchers. The plot watchers go about 2 weeks and use 8 batteries! Rechargeable batteries are all 1.2 volts and won't let any of my cams work. So I found a source of inexpensive lithium (not ion) batteries. Donno if this is the lowest price out there but here you go if you want them. They have US and CDN depots.
http://www.onlybatteries.com/showitem.a ... 1&uid=1660
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vrodman

Re: Batteries for game cams

Post by vrodman »

I've had my new Plotwatcher Pro out for about a month and still have 80%+ battery left. I can't be happier :D
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
Boo

Post by Boo »

vrodman wrote:I've had my new Plotwatcher Pro out for about a month and still have 80%+ battery left. I can't be happier :D
What settings do you use?
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

I'm using Duracell's with it set to come on and off with light and pic every 10sec. Skip from 11-1. I just set it to skip that little of time because I was sure there would be nothing but also wanted to really test the battery life. I will probably change it to 10-2. The zoom feature is worthless with the installed lens but they do have a combo set of lenses available now for them. One is wide angle and the other is zoom, $60 for both. Good luck
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I have a Moultrie M80x, which has been in the field since the middle of August, snapping 3 pics every 45sec. The cheap, made in China, alkaline batteries I use are still showing over 56%.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I`ve had mine out since the start of August and still full charge . That is why I bought the Bushnell . I can use AA lithiums . :) Tried others with the big useless C batteries . It gets cooler and they die .
I had the Bushnell out all last winter and it worked flawlessly . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Doe Master wrote:I`ve had mine out since the start of August and still full charge . That is why I bought the Bushnell . I can use AA lithiums . :) Tried others with the big useless C batteries . It gets cooler and they die .
I had the Bushnell out all last winter and it worked flawlessly . :shock:
Moultrie M80 is same battery set up as Bushnell. Put up my M80 in July,use it in trail cam mode and AA lithium batteries still show 100%. M80 has a plot stalker mode but have never used it, dont know what battery life would be there.Have gone thru four or five sets of "D" batteries in my Primos 46 in same amount of time. Am real tickled with M80,its been great.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Have 2 bushnells out all summer and now ,with duracells and energizers. I did read rechargeables dont work because they are 1.2 volt Most cams need to have regular 1.5 volt to work properly or last.
Bones
Gregoire1960

Post by Gregoire1960 »

I have 4 Scoutguard SG550V's in the field running on rechargeable AA's without any problems. Glad I didn't by the M80 afterall if it won't run on rechargebles.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bones wrote:Have 2 bushnells out all summer and now ,with duracells and energizers. I did read rechargeables dont work because they are 1.2 volt Most cams need to have regular 1.5 volt to work properly or last.
Bones
When I first got by Bushnell I used rechargables with no problems. I did change them out weekly to be sure they didn't fail, though.

Bought lithiums last year and again this year. It's nice to leave it out for the season and still be able to use the batteries for something else when season's over. :lol:

So far this year the lithium AA batteries have 9,597 pictures on them and the indicator is still showing full power.
wabi
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Energizer Ultimate Lithium.....I get mine from eBay.....$20 for 20 batteries...from China, where they are made anyway.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Boo, what kind of cameras ?

I had the same problem with Stealth cams for some reason. As Bones says watch out with these batteries because a good deal may turn into a money waste.

Most of the new cams are getting better for battery life. I have owned near every kind of cams and have settled with Spypoints. They run never ending with Duracells as they have the highest volts of any normal batteries.

The others are right with the Lithiums they will last the longest but also cost more.

Canadian tire has a instore sale on batteries 24 Duracells for 12.47 I just got two packs yesterday as I use them up with the game caller ...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Do you think the little solar power sources for these cameras would be more cost effective? Just a thought as I don't have any experience with them.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

The issue I'm having is with the Moultrie M80 which is a plot watcher and a game cam. It can be either or both in hybred mode. I just expect more time out of the batteries. I just uploaded a software update that is supposed to extend the life of the batteries so we'll see what happens.
Thanks for all your replies!
Boo

Post by Boo »

j.krug wrote:Do you think the little solar power sources for these cameras would be more cost effective? Just a thought as I don't have any experience with them.
Donno yet, we'll see what happens with the software update. There is a solar option at $89.99+++