FOC at only 4.6%

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cpwrestler

FOC at only 4.6%

Post by cpwrestler »

Hi, I was reading up on tuning arrows/broadheads and did the test for my arrows. Apparantly I'm only at 4.62% with my wasp boss broadheads. I bought the used so I don't know their weight but I assume 100gr. Should I consider moving up to heavier broadheads?

I'm a little confused though, because with a number like that, I have to assume that any 100gr broadhead should cause "arrow instability" and poor flight yet it seems like plenty of folks on here are doing just fine with 100gr. broadheads.

Should I be worried if I can get decent groups at 30 yards with my exomax?
BigNasty

Re: FOC at only 4.6%

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpwrestler

Post by cpwrestler »

Arrow length: 21 5/8"
Balance point to mid point: 1"
(1x100)/21 5/8" = 4.62

Now, I realize I didn't have all the other information but my understanding is that that calculation should give me the correct FOC calculation.

I'm using the xx75 arrows with regular inserts. After further research I see brass inserts should even things out?
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

XX75 but what arrow, 2216...2219? I have just got some XX75 2219 and added Gold Tip II brass inserts to them to give me a better front of center (just over 10%) and I still use 100 grain broadheads.
cpwrestler

Post by cpwrestler »

sorry, meant to say 2216s... I think brass inserts should solve the problem. I'm heading over to the archery store this week to get set up (need to replace some vanes anyways after making the mistake of firing two broadheads at the same spot). Hopefully the guys there can get me off and running.
wabi

Post by wabi »

If they shoot fine at 30 yards what's the problem you need to fix?????
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

wabi wrote:
If they shoot fine at 30 yards what's the problem you need to fix?????

If you put two bhs in the same spot I don't see the prob. folks are putting a whole lot of nothing in brass inserts, heavy foc you need to have this or that to be able to hit what your aiming at BULL, I've got a little over ten foc with a 350gr stick using a fixed blade doing 350fps out of my max and I know I can hit anything the heavy sticks hit as far as they want to shoot, test what you have before going out and spending your money on something you don't need, and my kenetic energy is 95 with this set up so you don;t need all that weight to get a pass thru.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers