That special time of year

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

That special time of year

Post by theoldarcher »

I love the fall! I got a chance to get in the woods this morning but I still have to hunt off the ground because I haven’t got my tree stand back up yet. We had a hard freeze here last night and I figured it would be a good morning even if I was getting a late start.

The sun had already started to peek over the ridge to the east as I walked out the door. I hit the woods across the street and walked to my old stand site, found an old oak to sit under and waited.

Around 9:00 I heard the unmistakable sound of a deer running to my left. As I turned to look I saw the big 9 point I had seen about two weeks ago when I shot my last doe. My jaw dropped as he ran toward me and was wondering for a minute if he was going to run over me. I tried to get him to stop but he was having no part of me. He loped on off up toward the oak flat and was gone.

Around 10:30 I caught movement on the oak flat coming in my direction. Four does were half way running toward me. The lead doe stopped around 45 yards away and looked behind her. Then a big cow horn spike came running up behind her. For about 20 minuets the spike chased the does all over the oak flat, trying to win their affection. Finally the 4 does went off in the same direction they came from with the spike in hot pursuit.

At 11:00 a big doe came from the yard of the gentleman whose property I hunt, jumping a rail fence that separates the yard from the woods. She came within 20 yards of me but a shift in the wind caused her to twirl around and run back to the fence. She stopped at the fence looking over her shoulder in my direction and then trotted off to her right toward the oak flat. Just then a doe that I hadn’t even seen came trotting along the fence line heading toward the other doe.

At 12:00 I started packing my gear away and had just put my arrow in its quiver, when I caught movement up the hill to my right. Two more does had wondered out of an open field on top of the hill and started filtering their way down toward my location. Before the does could get in range two more does came walking along the fence line to my left headed toward the oak flat. The two does to my right caught their movement and headed toward the others. All four filtered into the flat, munching on acorns as they walked on over the hill.

As I gathered all my gear and headed out of the woods, I thought to myself…tomorrow morning, I might want to hunt the oak flat. :lol: :D
georgiaboy

Re: That special time of year

Post by georgiaboy »

Sounds like you had a good hunt even though you didn't get a shot!! :D
x2 on the oak flat!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
j.krug

Re: That special time of year

Post by j.krug »

Sounds the the oak flat is a happenin' place!
Maybe you should move your party over there!! :lol:
Good luck to you.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads