Piece of my Excalibur equiptment I hate the most.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mr. Dynamite

Piece of my Excalibur equiptment I hate the most.

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

I must confess

I love my bow

Yes, I know it is too wide to walk through the corn with, or close to any brush if I don't want it to get snagged,

and I know there are things that need to be changed on the padded case,

but those things I can live with.

However, the one thing that annoys me each and every time I go out is my quiver.

I know it looks cool, and adds to the sleek look of the bow, but I have a problem with it.

When I head out to my stand my hands always seem to be full of junk to take with me...yet I have to keep a hand free to hold my quiver because the arrows are not protected in the quiver.

Now, think about it on your bow, and you will see what I mean. You cannot carry the bow in the bag on your back with the quiver on, nor can you carry it under your arm with the quiver on - might wreck the arrows. That leaves throwing the quiver down in the bottom of the bag, which may also result in wrecked arrows, or resorting back to holding the dumb thing in your hand.

Furthermore, with the quiver on the bow, when the bow is set down and moved around, most of the pressure and movement is put on what - the bottom arrow! For this reason I carry an old junk aluminum bolt I found in the woods in the bottom slot to keep my carbons from having the fletching messed up, and it works for this, but it only protects the arrows from getting hit from that one direction when the quiver is in the bag.

The other problem I have with the quiver is with the arrows falling out. They are held in there pretty securely, but I have had the arrows come out enough to make sure I do not rely it. Just doesn't leave you feeling too well when you are going through the woods and you hear or feel something, and here an arrow has fallen out and is sitting with the broadhead pointed back at you. Or like tonight, when I pulled my bow up unloaded, quiver on, and when I got it up to me there is an arrow, still in its slot, but which has slid down and now has a broad head pointed up and out at me.

No, I don't mind my quiver, and I don't want a hip quiver, it is just that I would like a redesigned quiver.

So here is what I thought.

An enclosed quiver of some sort would not only protect the fletching, it would also support the bow better than an arrow when set down, and also would prevent arrows from sliding or falling out. Kills all the birds with one quiver.

Seeing that an enclosed quiver would be larger and heavier than what we have, make it smaller, and for fewer arrows - say for only 2 or 3 in slots rather than 4 in notches splayed out. That way with either the shape of a circular tube or an oblong cylinder you can fit an internal compartment for each arrow. The lid could be twist-lock on (ideal for a circular shape) or hinged flip-top with a latch for an oval shape.

So, what do you think? I think it would be much safer and would protect the arrows far better when the quiver is on the bow or being carried in the bag.

Has anyone found something like this or made something like this?
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
BigNasty

Re: Piece of my Excalibur equiptment I hate the most.

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

BigNasty wrote:Why not buy a Rancho Safari Cat quiver and mount it to your bow? They make a small one.
I had not seen that one when I searched for a different one, and it is getting closer to what I am looking for, but still not enough that it completely surrounds the arrows for I pack them in the bag or a backpack. Thanks for the link though.
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

2 arrow quiver wouldn't have worked for me today. Had 4 arrows and ran out quickly as I found alot of rabbits running around. Wish I had more arrows with me today and I would have made it deer hunting after the rabbits. LOL

Rage 2 broadheads and arrows. Three rabbits only cost me about $75. Maybe I should of went to a rabbit breader! LOL
Last edited by wheelie on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Wheelie,let the hounds go first.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Didn't have a dog. I was going deer hunting. LOL
BigNasty

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I knew before I bought my Axiom that I did not want the quiver on it. Whether the quiver is mounted below or above, I thought it was the most awkward looking contraption that I had seen. I can imagine all kinds of horrors having a quiver mounted to a crossbow. It would be one heckuva limb catcher where I hunt and I don't need the extra weight on my bow. It's already front heavy enough!

So I searched for all types of quivers. Even bought a hip quiver that I used once. What I finally went with was the Excal quiver tucked into my hunting bag (which is an old Remington shoulder bag). I can have the arrows pointing out front our out behind. Once I'm in my tree, I either leave the quiver in the bag or take it out and slide it over a limb.

Been hunting two years with it like this and it's working alright. Not perfect, but I haven't seen a better system for the way I hunt yet!

Here's what it looks like on the way to and from my stand.

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
BigNasty

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skizmo

Post by skizmo »

I hate the quiver attached to the right side of my bow...I am a little ocd and things have to be symmetrical and even ... A lob sided bow just doesn't fly with me...I also find it ads a slight uneven feel to the bow...not to mention I ride my ATV with my bow on my back with a sling and you can not do that with a quiver, it digs in my back soooo BAD..My answer was to remove the quiver and bracket and attach the quiver to the outside of my back pack with the provided buckles. When I get in my tree stand I hang it on a hook load one in and good to go...I will never ever attach my quiver to my bow.Its just a pure nuisance in my opinion.

im not dogging it threw the woods I have 250 acres of private land to hunt on with atv/gator trails to ALL the honey holes and tree stands so it works for me.
2011 Ibex
GT Laser II Bolts w-BC Lumenoks
Muzzy MX-3 Broad Heads
Vari-Zone Scope
S5 System
X-Tender 1"
AP Camo Sling
Camo Scope Cover
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I like the GamePlan Spot-N-Stallk. Carries every thing i need with your choice of quiver. I have used one for 3 years.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

that's why i went with a top mount quiver :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

bob1961 wrote:that's why i went with a top mount quiver :wink: .........bob

Pretty much the same here. :wink: It gets it up out of the way so you can carry the bow on your back and helps to balance the bow since it's in the center.

The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
masboy

Post by masboy »

I had a short sling on my bow at first and lost a couple arrows in the corn so made a top mount and hated that so then carried my quiver on my belt and not happy with that . Then put a longer sling on my bow that the bow hangs lower on my back problem solved no more lost arrows in the corn. but always remove in my stand. works for me.
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

bob1961 wrote:that's why i went with a top mount quiver
I would too, but that would not rid me of the problem of arrows sliding down out of the quiver while still knocked in its slot. Had it happen to me again tonight and almost got a broad head in the back of the arm when I went to put the sling on my shoulder. I am just convinced I have to get rid of this quiver!

Now this man right here is on to something!!
Jeeptag wrote:Last year I picked up a hard plastic tube covered in cloth with a zippered top and foam in both ends made for Rapala travel rods at BassPro.

It works great to hold my arrows, they are 100% protected and when I walk with the zippered end down I can access my arrows pretty quickly if I need to.

I did need to add some length the the strap and hockey tape to the metal zipper for noise but that was it.

Plus, I can carry a whack of them if I wanted to in case of rabbits, squirrels etc.

I am going to have to look into this. Any other good ideas? Keep em coming!