Learned something tonight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

masboy

Learned something tonight

Post by masboy »

mabey this will help others that are missing deer and don,t know why like me. I put things together tonight after missing again a perfect shot at 20 yards .a broadside shot that I watched in my scope as the deer went down and arrow flew like a dart dead in line over his back.had a good rest over my shooting rail. i,m dead on at 30 yds. and a few inches high at 20yds .held where I wanted too hit but should have held three inches lower than where I wanted too hit my mistake!! ( Lyme d brain) my son was about 140 yds away and said I heard you shoot tonight your bow was loud . I did,t tell him I shot he told me when we met back at the truck. the one I missed the other night at 35yds I seen the arrow go over his back too . The one I killed at thirty eight yards held about thee inches don from the top of his back too allow for arrow drop but I hit where I aimed .that's 7 inches higher than should have hit.these deer are droping from the noise I, m sure. so I.ve been shooting over them. so if your missing deer and don,t know why your most likely shooting high like I am. I, ll be making a few changes in my aiming point!!!
wabi

Re: Learned something tonight

Post by wabi »

I usually hit high, but it's because I sight in for 25 yards and most of my deer are shot much closer. :lol:
I try to hold "center of the kill zone" which is about 1/3 of the way up on the body & tight to the front leg on a broadside shot.
Woody Williams used to post a deer anatomy diagram on the forum as deer season approached every year, but I don't see Woody posting here much anymore.
It really helped me to think 3-D in terms of shooting deer.
If the deer is quartering away I aim a bit further back, but still about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of it's brisket.

I went to Woody's forum and copied the link to the animated deer anatomy pic. - (give it time, it's animated :wink: )

wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great diagram!

Not sure if it's something you guys are into - but here's something that's been posted here in the past. A little interactive "game" on shot placement:

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/art ... rgeometry/
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

What setup are you using? My arrow speed out of my Axiom is about 287 fps and I haven't had this issue, including the first Doe I shot this year at 53 yards. (it was a little further back than what I liked though)

Have you tried quieting your bow down with the STS system, string silencers, etc?

Granted, I use to aim low with a Vertical bow for this same reason. But I haven't had to when shooting my Axiom.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
peter p

Post by peter p »

I always aim for the top of the heart. The deer usually duck at the shot and the arrow will hit dead center through the lungs.
BigNasty

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masboy

Post by masboy »

I,m shooting a 500gr. arrow an excel string a little heavy i know and not the fastest thing but deadly accurate at all ranges with my broadheads.I always had too shoot for the heart with a regular bow because I always shot high on deer and over there backs till I started shooting for the heart.I,ve practiced from the same height as my stands and no change in poi .it,s not me shooting bad I,m a good shot just not killing deer when I have a good hold and squeeze trigger . I'm just shooting over everything with this slow noisy bow. Going to change some things like mabey lighten up my arrows,fastflight string and make sure I aim lower . but with this Lyme d I don't think like I should and when I shoot at deer looking thru my scope I don,t think I just put the crosshair where I want too hit an pull the trigger.too many years of rifle shooting.that don,t work for me with a slow noisy bow and droping deer!!! Like I said I,m almost too dumb too hunt anymore !!!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Keep at it. Don't let it get you too frustrated. Like you mentioned, lightening the arrow might be something to look at.

You'll get it sorted out and be arrowing those deer in no time!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
strum

Post by strum »

masboy..dont belittle your self..you just had some unlucky shots..the next time you may do the same thing and have a great kill..your doing all the right things as far as practicing and getting the shots..that says a lot..hang in there..and if noise is an issue to ya..try some catwhiskers they do wonders..but we all know that no matter what you do the deer can still hear ..i missed a perfect 30 yard shot a few weeks ago ..same thing.. i shot over her..but i dont think she ducked it ..i think i just messed up..it happens..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I put the Limbsaver "Crossbow Silencing Kit" on my Equinox. Got the Limbsaver pads on the back of the limbs and a little rubber thing on the metal arrow holder. Plus I've got the NGSS and Boo string with catwhiskers. I know all of this stuff slows the bow down some, but I would rather give up a few FPS and have a relatively quieter bow than to have bow that sounds like a .22 rifle going off. :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
strum

Post by strum »

a lot of guys..dan miller included ..say they take everything off for huntin..no Dbars ..no C whiskers,no S5s..they say they want their bow as light as possible and the sound dosent bother them one bit ..oh they harvest deer so.....
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

strum wrote:a lot of guys..dan miller included ..say they take everything off for huntin..no Dbars ..no C whiskers,no S5s..they say they want their bow as light as possible and the sound dosent bother them one bit ..oh they harvest deer so.....
You mean, "hunt naked" :)

My bow is bare - but don't ask how that's working for shooting deer! :lol: It's getting so that people are starting to be afraid to hunt with me now. :shock:
strum

Post by strum »

VixChix wrote:
strum wrote:a lot of guys..dan miller included ..say they take everything off for huntin..no Dbars ..no C whiskers,no S5s..they say they want their bow as light as possible and the sound dosent bother them one bit ..oh they harvest deer so.....
You mean, "hunt naked" :)

My bow is bare - but don't ask how that's working for shooting deer! :lol: It's getting so that people are starting to be afraid to hunt with me now. :shock:
they are tough old guys..it has to be cold naked :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony