Best Birthday EVER!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JohnDoeHunter

Best Birthday EVER!

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

I got the best birthday gift I could ever ask for. I took yesterday day off to hunt with my dad and my grandfather. My grandfather is well into his 80s but he still likes to get out and hunt. We all had successful hunts, but the best part was that granddad took a nice 3 1/2 year old 8 point with his muzzle loader. I got a small 8 point with my Excalibur and dad took a young Jake with his muzzle loader. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday, even if we would have not taken anything. I had the dragging duties for grandads buck but did not complain. I'm just greatful I didn't have to clean that turkey! It may just be me but those things stink so bad I have a hard time eating Thanksgiving turkey if I take one within the month of November.
John
one shot scott

Re: Best Birthday EVER!

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats John, that is a great way to spend a birthday! I hear ya on the turks, giblets have taken new meaning to me since i started turkey hunting. Just never do what my buddy did and forget stuff inside. Halfway through the meal he started wondering where the soy beans were coming from :shock: :|
Last edited by one shot scott on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

Turkeys and rabbits will make me gag for a week!
John
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Happy Birthday and congrats to all the successful hunters. Cheers! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
rayman

Post by rayman »

JohnDoeHunter wrote:Turkeys and rabbits will make me gag for a week!
With you on the rabbits. Used to love to rabbit hunt when I was in high school. Had enough one day. Can't stand the smell of rabbit since - live, dead, cleaned, or whatever.

Turkeys. Make cleaning a quick job. Peal back the skin and cut the breast meat out. Not bad. Cut the meat into strips and soak in mojo. Then fry like chicken fingers.

Hope you got some pictures. Sounds like a great birthday indeed. My grandfather passed about 15 years ago and would give anything just to ride in the truck with him again. :wink:
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

I figured out the posting of pics. Hope it works.

Grandfather with his buck.

Image my small buck. Didn't get any pictures of dads bird because he cut the breast and legs out in the field.
John
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Congrats to all three of you!
Crispy
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

I know that they are not huge deer and a lot of people whold not have taken them. But we eat them and we were hunting on national forest. Out there we shoot whatever is legal.
John
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

one shot scott wrote:Congrats John, that is a great way to spend a birthday! I hear ya on the turks, giblets have taken new meaning to me since i started turkey hunting. Just never do what my buddy did and forget stuff inside. Halfway through the meal he started wondering where the soy beans were coming from :shock: :|
Neil, you know, I think you just killed my tryptophan buzz! LOL Thanks bro! :P

Congrats on the great day John - and Happy Birthday.
mdtx-xbow

Post by mdtx-xbow »

Congrats on the awesome birthday. Three generations out hunting...that is what it is all about!

Matt
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! Three generations of hunters come together priceless and awsome!!
Hope you three have many more hunts together.
The best things in life are not things!!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you!

What an awesome birthday present!

Nothing beats sharing the joy of being in the woods with family - and being able to get out with your Grandfather is icing on the cake! Cherish every moment!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
maple

Post by maple »

Excellent hunt there guys!! Congratulations!!! I see a new tradition in the making.

Ever since I was a teenager my b'day "gift-to-self" has always been the day hunting. I'm lucky enough to have it coming up again this Monday, and I'll be out there before first light......sitting in the stand with a smile on my face, humming to myself....

happy birthday to meeee
happy birthday to meeeeee....

My dad is long gone, but I still have those unforgetable memories we made together afield.
My son and I are now making more together.

Keep it up Johndoe. You're doing the right thing.

Maple
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

JohnDoeHunter wrote:I know that they are not huge deer and a lot of people whold not have taken them. But we eat them and we were hunting on national forest. Out there we shoot whatever is legal.

I was going to post that your "small" buck is my average buck!

You never need to apologize/feel shame for a deer that has been taken legally man. It's strictly a personal choice when you kill one. I think it's great that you guys had a very successful/memorable day. Thats what hunting is about!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-