The 10 Year Buck - looooooonnnnggg!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bowster

Re: The 10 Year Buck - looooooonnnnggg!

Post by Bowster »

That 10 year buck is well deserved.....

Way to go Vix. Couldn't be happier for you.

What an amazing diary entry that will make.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Congrats. Great story, great deer!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
bigbuck

Post by bigbuck »

Congrats.
That a very nice deer.
Good work.
LUDDY

Post by LUDDY »

Monica,
CONGRATS!!!!! On your fine buck. Nice pics and story I can relate to the wait for a nice buck but they say good things come to those who are patient congrats again.

God Bless
John
2010 Ibex
Groundponder Mount
Firebolts
G5 montecs
Varizone scope
S5 string stop

Remember life is short take somebody hunting
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

Congratulations on a bruiser!!! Nice pics, it looks that that guy liked to mixed it up a little with the other bucks!
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
IAMCANADIAN

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

Where are you guys hunting in those pics? Some of them look *exactly* like where I hunt during rifle season.
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
maple

Post by maple »

Congratulations again Monica!!!!

It's great to see your smiling face, and those of your buddies, standing over a down deer. A fine buck it is too.

You had lots of people rooting for you this year, but you alone did the job when it came to the crunch. Thanks to Kevin, Oldbuck and Scott for tagging along with you to help drag. What a team. What a day!!!

Please do post again soon, when your feet are back on the ground, and tell us about the hunt all over again.

Maple
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Maple - I've been trying to restrain myself! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a beautiful morning to be out - Ken is probably rolling his eyes right now - he might be just a bit tired of hearing that from me. :lol: But it's true - it was beautiful to watch the first rays of sun touch the tops of the trees. I'm not an early bird, but I love that time of morning. The blue jays, the woodpeckers, even the squirrels... its all part of "live TV". :D

When I'm in the woods I try to live in the moment and leave the everyday stuff behind, as I'm sure most of us here do. I spend some time thanking God for the beauty I get to experience, for the friends that go out of their way to include me, for the husband that stays home and makes it possible for me to be out. I'm never bored doing "nothing" in the woods.

I wasn't sure things would work out yesterday - the wind was blowing my scent to just a bit past where the deer stepped out. It was warm and after the doe stood sniffing the wind I thought I should zip up my jacket to maybe provide a bit more scent control. Not sure if it helped any.

With the warm temps and the walk in I thought about how the scent free shower and the hunting clothes washed and hung out to dry could have been a waste of time for that day.

At any rate - I have to do hunting laundry again now. :D

Kevin had a good feeling about that stand. I know that any one of the others could have sat there, but he put me in it. He also had insisted that I hunt with them for opening day. And the way it all went down yesterday I couldn't have asked for a more perfect hunt. The rut is on and having it displayed right in range and broadside - couldn't ask for more than that!

Kevin, Ken, and RJ have tried very hard for me for deer and for turkey - going out of their way to offer me a chance to hunt promising properties which I wouldn't have access to otherwise. I know they've been frustrated when in spite of the best set-ups things just haven't worked out. Life's like that. I feel a deep indebtedness and gratitude to them. I am a very blessed woman!

It's been wonderful to have so many people rooting for me here through the years. When I passed on the doe I thought about how I might be letting some of my friends down... but I just didn't feel the need to shoot just to "get it done". So glad that buck came by shortly after and saved me! :lol:

I'm hoping that it's not another 10 yrs now! I still have an archery tag for 87 and a doe tag for Huntsville. Won't bother me if they're not filled, but it lets me keep getting out for the season. :D

Thanks, my friends, for being part of my journey... and for letting me be part of yours!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

EVERYONE RUN FOR COVER!!! :shock: IT'S A SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE!!! How else can you explain Vixchix getting a deer??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG, I just noticed......... She killed Elliot!

Either that, or she got the dog from The Grinch...

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Just kidding! Just because a you found a deer that wanted to commit suicide, that doesn't mean we still can't give you crap about it. :wink:

In all seriousness though, a BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Image Image Image Success is all the sweeter when it's been a while, and it's even better when it's shared with good friends like you've got up there. :wink:

Just keep at it and always remember, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then." Image
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! Pressure's off they say things happen in three's hat trick perhaps!! :wink:
Enjoy your upcomming hunts the Savage is next to get some blood on it up north! :D
The best things in life are not things!!
Fletcher1

Post by Fletcher1 »

Way to go Moni. You sure earned the harvest. Glad the first one is out of the way. It will be easier from now on.
Kelley
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Congrats! Great story and pics!
"Eze 18:21"
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

I loved the story and shared in the joy of the buck. Congratulations!
maple

Post by maple »

Oh!

By the way people, that's NOT the first SHOT Monica has taken in 10 years.

Maple
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

maple wrote:Oh!

By the way people, that's NOT the first SHOT Monica has taken in 10 years.

Maple
ROFL! :lol: :lol: :lol: Umm... that was cranberry soda! Really! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.