The 10 Year Buck - looooooonnnnggg!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

Re: The 10 Year Buck - looooooonnnnggg!

Post by Big58cal »

VixChix wrote:Will have to do some research for DYI euro mounts!
Wait till it warms up a little, take the skin off the skull, and soak it in water, keeping the antlers out of the water, for a month or two. It stinks, so keep it away from the house. :lol: Take it out and hose it off. Get several bottles of hydrogen peroxide and mix 50/50 with water and soak the skull in it, keeping the antlers out of the mixture, for a day or so. Take it out and hose it off and let it dry. Your done. :wink:

This place in North Carolina makes mounts for European mounts and does a really good job. The pictures I've posted of mine and the other guys are done on the bases from this place.

http://www.racplaques.com/
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
roly

Post by roly »

Congratulations Moni

I am so happy for you. :D :D Great story and pics

I agree , you got to get the rack done, a Euro or a skull
mount, so it will always remind you of your hunt

A good job done go's to Kevin and the guys
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

When I dropped in today Monica had one of the bigger smiles on her face and a bounce in her step I had never seen. Happy to see someone get so much joy out of the harvest.

That being said...she passed on all of her bad luck to me by lending me her .30-06 for the open season up in Hanover on Monday evening and Tuesday morning. Nothing else could explain a clear miss on a little six point buck at 150 yards, downhill, standing in a five-metre window, quartering toward (yeah...all that part's true)...with the sun in my eyes, a squirrel on my shoulder, my cell phone ringing, a woodpecker pecking at my groin and fire ants invading my boots. :lol:

By the way...your gun shoots real nice at the range...but it hates shooting deer. I'll take it off your hands and see if I can change its mood. :wink: :D
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Sorry - Ryan!

That was the gun my Dad passed along to me shortly before he died. It's staying in the family unless Ben decides to part with it someday after I'm gone. :D

I didn't tell you this before, but when Dad gave me the gun he said to shoot it but not to kill anything with it. (HUH? :? )

Dad enjoying just being in the woods, and I think that being so close to death himself at the time he just didn't see the sense in killing anything.

He did carry that gun on a few hunts out west in the 80's, and I remember him taking some shots on a coyote but as far as I know that rifle hasn't killed anything. I think Dad enjoyed seeing the animals more than the thought of killing them.

I have an unscoped Savage 99 you can borrow! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Stinky Buffalo

Post by Stinky Buffalo »

Awesome job! Soooooo proud of you!

Seeing that buck on the cart really puts his body mass in perspective. He's a biggun', that's for sure! Well done.

Kudos to you guys for helping Vix out with this hunt. You can totally tell what it means to her to see that smile on her face. Just awesome.

Too bad I can't swing by for a steak this week! LOL

...now that you're all warmed up, Vix, go catch a couple more. :D
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

Vix - WRAP THE ANTLERS TO KEEP THE COLOUR!

I have done 6 euro mounts ranging in intensity from the bucket of water to just putting them on an ant hill, and one thing I have learned was if you want to keep the nice brown colour of the rack you have to wrap it or the bone bleaches - even if not in the sun.

I can post more pictures of what I mean later, but this is the only one I had handy right now

Both these bucks were wrapped first in clear plastic wrap, and then duck tape over that. Keep the antlers out of the water and the wrap and tape will keep the antlers like the day your shot him.
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great tip! Thanks!!!!! I'll certainly cover the antlers!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

VixChix wrote:Sorry - Ryan!

That was the gun my Dad passed along to me shortly before he died. It's staying in the family unless Ben decides to part with it someday after I'm gone. :D

I didn't tell you this before, but when Dad gave me the gun he said to shoot it but not to kill anything with it. (HUH? :? )

Dad enjoying just being in the woods, and I think that being so close to death himself at the time he just didn't see the sense in killing anything.

He did carry that gun on a few hunts out west in the 80's, and I remember him taking some shots on a coyote but as far as I know that rifle hasn't killed anything. I think Dad enjoyed seeing the animals more than the thought of killing them.

I have an unscoped Savage 99 you can borrow! :D

Well that explains it...it's cursed. It'll never kill anything. :wink:

I'd give anything to have my Grandfather's old Winchester Model 70...a pre 64...that could out-shoot just about anything out there today and look good doing it. But, sadly, after a break in in 1994, it was lost to criminal scum.

Some of those heirlooms you just never want to lose. To hunters, the guns of their predecessors are special. Unless, they're insurance replacements that had never been fired like I inherited, in which case they are expendable. I sold them all. Grandpa never touched them after putting them in the safe.

Best thing you can do is go out and drop a deer with it. :D
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Congrats on a Great Deer!!!!
God bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Boy, gone for a couple days and the women go wild harvesting deer left and right. First I see Bugs and now Vix plugs one. Very nice buck and a chucky buck at that. Boy they are big up there and a great shot on it too. You sure put a lick on that bad boy. Congrats to you, you sure put your time into it. Very, very nice indeed. Break out the forks and knives supper is served. YUMMY! :D
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Congrats VixCix !!!!

He had your name on him.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

Great job on you harvest.
John
roland

Post by roland »

congrats on the buck it was your deer.
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

And I was complaining about hunting 6 weeks without any results!!!

You done good!! No smile like gettin' a deer smile.

As we say down south, his neck is swole up, he's been sniffin' girlie deer perfume, and lookin' for a fight and found one!!!
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
longshot

Post by longshot »

Congradulations Mrs. Monica!!!!!