Youth Model Rifle

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rayman

Youth Model Rifle

Post by rayman »

My 8-yr-old son is ate up. The BB gun no longer cuts the mustard. All my rifles are too big for him at this point. Dont want to spend tons of money on a rifle that will be used for 3 or 4 years. Want something good enough to get the job done on a 90 lb Florida deer though. Thinking something in the 223 to 257 Roberts range for caliber. Must be small enough. Excaliber will come a little later. Any suggestions?? :?
georgiaboy

Re: Youth Model Rifle

Post by georgiaboy »

An H&R handi rifle in .223, great little gun...comes in a youth model and won't break the bank!! 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
bommer

Post by bommer »

WE just bought a savage youth rifle for a grandson in 7mm08. the recoil isnot bad and when he outgrows the stock we can replace it. INMHO only. Hope it helps John
Leonidas

Post by Leonidas »

Marlin bolt action XS7 in .243. I bought my daughter one. It came with the Youth stock and an adult laminated stock. My daughter will always use the youth stock as she is small in stature. Dad can use the laminated stock :wink:

I shot it again tonight with the youth stock and I was impressed. One ragged hole with the cheap package scope that came on it.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Thanks for the input. Might go by BassPro while close to Orlando for Thanksgiving and see what they have. Might let him shoot the 22 mag and 257 Roberts to get idea of recoil and report before going. Thanks again. :wink:
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

I would buy a TC Encore. Don't know if the make a 257 roberts. But Bullberry does and they are crazy accurate. The encore can be used a a pistol, muzzle loader, rimfire and centerfire in about every caliber you would ever need. When he grows up some merely buy an adult butt stock and swap them out. I have one set up as a pistol and love it.

www.bullberry.com
John
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Raymon,

You might wish to consider the Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. This rifle is light, compact, the recoil of the 7mm-08 is minimal and it is quite capable of harvesting all but the largest and dangerous of North American game.

The reasons that I suggest this rifle and this caliber is are two fold. One is that is it proportioned for smaller framed and lest robust individuals and two because the day will eventually arrive -- as it did in my case when; when in my dotage, I had to down-size from my venerable Winchester Model 70 .30-06 to a rifle that my aging frame could manage.

As with many things in life, we come full circle and what was appropriate in our youth again becomes appropriate in our maturity; this rifle would serve him twice in his life.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Savage for the money you can't go wrong
Tenpoint Matrix
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I set up a T/C Contender carbine for Colton.223 super 16 bbl and carbine stock that I cut off and put a pad back on. It is a short light rifle that has a good trigger and shoots very well.He has progressed to an S&W MP15 (AR) with the carbine stock that adjusts in length.We can both shoot it with about a 2 second adjust.It shoots well but the triggers on any AR type wont be great,works but not great triggers.And they are FUN!!!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

georgiaboy wrote:An H&R handi rifle in .223, great little gun...comes in a youth model and won't break the bank!! 8)
Indeed this is a great way to go. I'm considering one of these for myself but not in the youth model....I'm a grown up now you know...no, really I am!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

My grandson who is 6 is already picking what he wants next.
He likes the Rossi youth trio package.
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

flightattendant100 wrote:It shoots well but the triggers on any AR type wont be great,works but not great triggers.And they are FUN!!!
You can get great triggers on ARs. Look for a National Match trigger or get a single stage, after market trigger. I shot plenty of them over the years and you will be shocked at how good a ARs trigger can be.
John
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

georgiaboy wrote:An H&R handi rifle in .223, great little gun...comes in a youth model and won't break the bank!! 8)
can,t beat it for the money..223 has very little recoil and not near as loud as my 30-06
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

JohnDoeHunter wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote:It shoots well but the triggers on any AR type wont be great,works but not great triggers.And they are FUN!!!
You can get great triggers on ARs. Look for a National Match trigger or get a single stage, after market trigger. I shot plenty of them over the years and you will be shocked at how good a ARs trigger can be.
I spent $200 on a Timney and it is better than the factory,but it still sucks,it sucks less mind you,but it still sucks.
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

flightattendant100 wrote:
JohnDoeHunter wrote:
I spent $200 on a Timney and it is better than the factory,but it still sucks,it sucks less mind you,but it still sucks.
I agree with you on the Timney. You may want to try a Jard adjustable. 1.5 pound pull and no creep or over travel. IMHO it is the best $150 you can invest in an AR.
John