OT I need some advice.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JohnDoeHunter

OT I need some advice.

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

I got invited to go elk hunting next year. My friend is wanting me to go with him to New Mexico next year on a rifle hunt. The only rifle I own is a heavy combo gun with a 1.5-5 scope on it. I know it would work but it is not ideal.
I'm not really a gun person and have had little interest in them for a long time.

Willing to pay for quality and want something that would be good for elk at longer ranges. Suggestions would be great. Need help with pretty much everything, from bullets, caliber, type of rifle and scope. I do reload as well so that is not an issue. Hopefully one of you guys here has some experience with hunting out west.
John
Xbowkiller

Re: OT I need some advice.

Post by Xbowkiller »

Why not ask the person you are going with. or has he never gone either
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

You did not mention what calibur your gun is now. I use a Browning BAR in 30-06. Some say this calibur is on the light end for elk but it has served me well. I do shoot PMC Eldorado ammo with it which uses the Barnes-X bullet. You need a good bullet that will hold together and I'm sure others will give more suggestions. I have a Browning A-bolt in .300 which would be a more suitable calibur for elk but I am more comfortable with my BAR. And as far as distance shooting, we sight our guns in for 200 yards when we go to Colorado for elk. But I will say that all of my shots have been less than 100 yards. My dad and brother have made 400 yard shots on their elk before but I guess I just like to get closer :wink:
Why ride when you can walk!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I use a 180 gr Bonded Bear Claw in 300 Win Mag. It gives me over 300 yards MPB range. It delivers a very decisive thump on just about anything. After hunting in Wyoming for several years we noticed the locals being successful with 243, 25-06, 308, 30 Krag but the most common calibers were 270 & the venerable 30-06. The reason? The already had those guns. Elk are tough for sure but put a hole in their heart or place a good bullet high on it's shoulder and it's yours.
When I run out of Bonded Bear Claw ammo I'm going back to the Remington Corloks. When I shot a 280 nothing went further than a few yards. Hope this helps.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

The guy I'm going with has never been either. He is talking about a 300WSM or 325 WSM.

The biggest barrel set I have is a 12 gauge over .308 A Valmet, while deadly is far from ideal for long range work. I would also think a 308 would be marginal on elk.
John
Boo

Post by Boo »

JohnDoeHunter wrote:The guy I'm going with has never been either. He is talking about a 300WSM or 325 WSM.

The biggest barrel set I have is a 12 gauge over .308 A Valmet, while deadly is far from ideal for long range work. I would also think a 308 would be marginal on elk.
Assuming good shot placement the 308 will be more than good enough. There are countless moose in excess of 1,000 lb put down by that round. Use a decent 180 gr bullet (it does not have to be a premium bullet).
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I have shot 7 with a 300 win mag from 40 yards to 385. I use winchester 180 grain bullets(the cheap ones) because that is what shoots best in my gun. My buddys use 30.06's with 180 grain bullets and have not had a problem. Its all about shot placement. Have fun if you go.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

.308 is more than capable of doing what you want. :wink: If you're dead set on getting another gun, .300 Win Mag or .300 WSM is what I would go with. It's plenty big enough to take down anything on the NA contient. Look into the Barnes X Bullets. They're a good bullet and are "eco-friendly" in case you're in an area that doesn't allow lead. As for the scope, you can never go wrong with a Leupold. :wink: With scopes, you generally get what you pay for.

The type of gun........... Doesn't really matter. Remington, Winchester, Savage, Browning, Marlin, Weatherby......... They're all good guns. It comes down to personal preferance and what fits you best. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Fletcher1

Post by Fletcher1 »

My choice would be a 7MM Mag. Does a grreat job on Elk.
Kelley
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I agree the 308 with the correct bullet is plenty. If I just wanted to buy a elk rifle, I'd probably buy a 300 Win.
frisky

Post by frisky »

I have friends that hunt elk with a 270. I think its a little light. Never hunted them myself. :(
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
rayman

Post by rayman »

Have a friend that lives at Durango, CO and a group goes out every year for elk. My dream gun for elk would be Browning BAR Safari in 300 Win Mag with a Leupold VX3L 4.5-14 X 56 scope sighted in at 200 yards with Hornady 180 gr Interlock SP factory loads. Bout a 2 grand set up. Oh look what you did, you made me want one. :?

Good luck on your trip. :)
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

a lot of good advice here..but you ought to check your reloading manuals they should have balistic and bullet drop charts for different caliburs plus energy..if it was me i would take my 30-06 with some handloaded 180grn rem cor-loc,s and be comfortable with it out to 300yds..but if you buy a rifle a rem 700 bolt action 300 mag is all you would need for most anything..Leupold scopes are hard to beat :D
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

frisky wrote:I have friends that hunt elk with a 270. I think its a little light. Never hunted them myself. :(
Heard some good quotes today at a gun shop about elk rifles. One was about a .270 "Elmer Keith was right and Jack O’Connor was wrong; the .270 Winchester is not an elk cartridge." The other was "If it can’t push a 180g bullet at 3000fps, it’s not enough gun for elk."
Don't know if I agree with the last one, but it was from a guy that has hunted all over the world. I ended up getting a Remington Sendero in 300 Ultra. Loaded up some 180gr Barnes TTSX with 3 charges of Retumbo and the same bullet with 3 charges of H1000. Put a Leupold VX 3 6.5 -20x50mm scope on it. Don't care for the tall turrets yet, but may get use to it. I've never been on a guided hunt so it is a huge deal for me to go. Got a year to get ready, guess you guys can tell I'm really excited to go. Going to shoot it Sunday and see what type of potential the rifle has. Got a good deal on the gun, because someone had ordered it a year and a half ago and never picked it up. I saved a pile of $$$, even cheaper than what they are going for used on gunbroker. Had not planned on getting it was just seeing what was out there. My wonderful wife said it was my early Christmas gift. She is better than I deserve and proves it everyday! Thanks for the help.
John
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

sounds like you went all out on that rig..hang on to your hat when you shoot :lol: sendero is a fine gun..
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16