400 fps?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mtnjim

400 fps?

Post by mtnjim »

so when will Excalibur come out with a 400 fps crossbow?

Mtn Jim
Barnett Ghost 400 (first "uninformed" crossbow purchase)
Future Excalibur owner...;-)
theoldarcher

Re: 400 fps?

Post by theoldarcher »

Why would they have too? They already kill everything that walks on seven Contanants. :lol: :lol: When you can shoot hole for hole out to 50 yards...in my opinion, speed is over rated. :lol: Good first post by the way, welcome. 8)
Dash

Post by Dash »

I don't think they would bother ?
Over here the excalibur shooters are getting better competition scores than the high poundage compounds. Theres more to accuracy than just speed. Compounds with 400 plus fps really only equate to more damaged bolts, fletching, and less reliability :wink:
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

Excalibur does take selling speed into consideration. they put those fps labels on each bow so it must matter to someone otherwise they would just sell one model.id like to see any new models lighter and shorter width keeping current fps ratings. shave off a couple inches and a pound or so too :D . there will always be the argument for speed. would be very nice to shoot out to 40 or 50 yards with single crosshair rather than all those chevrons in the scope. im sure technology, new materials and demand will set the trends. :mrgreen:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Its doubtful Bill T will ever make a model so fast that you would only need one xhair on yer scope. New models they come every now & again. How fast of Bow does a person really need ? Jus how fer do ppl want to try & kill their game ? The area ppl hunt will be the limiting factor in which you base yer Bow, model & speed needs. Mine 35 yds is an extreme long shot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

They already did and choose to tone it down the Paradox(Canada) / Maxpoint(USA) was originally built with plus 400 speeds.

The more speed these things get the more likely the gov's will decide to put restrictions or have licensing required.

Careful what you wish for :D
Tenpoint Matrix
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Don't mess with it if it's not broken!!! Wouldn't trade my (slow LOL) Excalibur for any of the faster bows out there!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I shoot an equinox and it's way fast enough here in the ozarks of missouri, A 30 yd. shot is about the most you'll get here.!!! And 30 & under is my comfort zone :roll: :roll: and i don't like getting out of it..

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I have went out and looked at these 400+ fps xbows
When I looked at replacement and maintance cost.
They are not worth it
I have a bow I can change the string when it is needed.
No cables to replace and no bow shop needed to do repairs just for string and cables.
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
paarcher462

Post by paarcher462 »

I agree no need for a bow press, not to mention throwing a 100 dollars away every time you change a string and cables
Cyclonic

Post by Cyclonic »

My Exomax shoots a 427 gn. arrow at a "slow" 328 fps. Yesterday I shot a mature doe through one shoulder blade, two ribs, and opposite side upper leg bone.
Had to pull pretty hard to get my arrow out of the ground! Shot was 30-32 yds.
I really don't want any more power than that. On another forum I am constantly reading of other, (faster) bows breaking limbs, snapping strings, and breaking those silly little plastic nocks they keep trying to use.
I don't know if Excal will try to reach those speeds or not, I don't think I will though. 8)
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Sorry if I came off sounding like a smartbutt right off the bat by what I said but...me thinks we are being baited. Either way I totally agree with the comment above, "if it ain't broke...don't fix it.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

As y'all knowed i shoot a slow vixen, jus think if'en i got an E'max or E'nox. 5 down already & let another 8 walk, heck i bet i could kill a dz if'en had those big pounders!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
planter

Post by planter »

I stepped back from a Phoenix to a Vixen simply cause it was a little smaller and I wanted a shorter LOP. Based on my testing the Vixen kills them just as dead. I don't plan on shooting over 35 yards on game so it's all the bow I need for deer.
Heck, when push comes to shove I should be limiting myself to under 20 yards in the woods. :( Paper is not a problem but in the real world even after 35 years of hunting I melt down and I like it!!! The Phoenix has killed a decent handful of deer since I joined this forum back in 2006 and was coerced into purchasing it by common sense and old farts. :shock:
The older I get the less important speed becomes. I just have to hit them properly with what I have. Doubt speed is ever going to make up for a bad shot. If you shoot an Excal you can relate to the old bull and the young bull on the hill looking down at all the cows. Walking down will always be the better idea. :wink: :oops:
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

you mean i an not shooting 400.f.p.s. the turkey i shot thought i was. :lol: :lol: :lol: