400 fps?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Re: 400 fps?

Post by Cossack »

I shoot a 365 fps compound and 2 Excals. The compound is more trouble than it's worth. Tough on strings, serving, arrows, targets and not as accurate as the Excals. Speed is much harder on bows and arrow flight, slight variation in head orientation, vane application and even deck lube show on the target. I've gotten over my once need for speed and focus on precision kill shot...within 40 yards.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Dash

Post by Dash »

Archer your right. This topic was "Just a bait" .....I mean this topic on someones first post...... :roll:
Its all about accuracy and reliability. Excalibur already have that even in the lower poundage models, and 350 is plenty for those who want more.
400 plus FPS stickers on crossbows are for the type of people who want to stand around in a change room comparing thier manhood ....
If your serious about a good reliable accurate crossbow, its simple, you just buy an excalibur :wink:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Tis an odd first post, but welcome just the same Jim. What are you using now?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
mtnjim

Post by mtnjim »

Michigan recently removed their 350 fps limit restriction, thus my question.

thanks for all the thoughtful responses!

recently experienced my first crossbow adventures, with a Barnett Ghost 400. long story short, it's going back to the factory with a note saying they can keep it!

should have listened to my two older brothers, who both own a Vortex. :)

did manage to kill a nice young 8 point with it, though. and the blood trail and entry/exit wounds were pretty impressive with the NAP F.O.C. 170 grain 3 inch broadhead :D

now the only question is, which Excalibur model will I choose?

Mtn Jim
Barnett Ghost 400 (first "uninformed" crossbow purchase)
Future Excalibur owner...;-)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats on the deer! you really cant go wrong with any of the excaliburs man, thats the truth. My happy place is the 200lbs draw models
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

The laws of phisics dictate for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you have ever seen the crossbows fired utilizing a slow-motion camera (Excaliburs included), then you certainly know there's a whole lot of shaking going on everytime we shoot LOL The greater the energy/speed, the greater the vibration/shock...it has to go somewhere. If it is increased too much the only place left for it to go is into our wallets forking over hard-earned coin for new limbs, scopes, etc. I think the mass majority of the scope issues now are a direct result of the shock-factor - imagine if such were increased exponentially!

My bow is faster than I need - and that's fast enough :)
Dash

Post by Dash »

Sorry Jim, I misjudged you. We have a few "Bait"posts come in just to stir things up once in a while. But I see your genuine now.
Your brothers are right, the Vortex is a good bow and a very good all round target or hunting bow.The equinox and exomax are there if you really want more FPS. But it probably comes down to personal choice more than anything. If its just for hunting any of these models will do the job well. If you target practice a lot too, cocking the equinox and exomax can get a bit tiring for some, meaning its harder to stay steady when aiming after a lot of shots. A lighter poundage model may be more suitable in this situation.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day. jim mate the crews right 200 lb is awsome but, l have a couple of both the 225 lb models, l just like the look l guess, mate there just to much, if you want to hunt & play the phoenix is perfect. easy shooting you no playing target shooting all day long or for the serious hunt. there not lacking anything easy on strings, servings & scopes smoothe to shoot mate best to try one out & see what you think, mate its a bee's dick between the two honest, one inch that is per 25 lb of power stroke, if they wait for a bolt from a 225 lb bow they'll wait that extra zee-on more for one from a 175 lb to catch up make no mistake on that :lol: :lol: ..best regards blackjack
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I too apologize, Jim for thinking that we were being baited into a bad post. :oops: I am happy for your success and I feel your pain about the Barnett. My first crossbow that I bought was a Barnett and I had nothing but problems from the time I took it out of the box. Since I have been using the Excalibur Line of crossbows I’ve had nothing but great service and worry free usage. I wish you many great hunts and don’t worry about that 400 feet per second thing. Dead is dead no matter how fast the arrow goes. :lol:
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Welcome to the forum Jim & congratulations on your deer.

I hadn't reply to your original post myself thinking it was just a spam post and thought - oh boy, here we go!!

I have the Equinox model and although its a little heavier (weight & draw) than some of the other models, it fits my requirement for the heavier game we hunt up here.

You honestly cannot go wrong with the Excal's limb concept - you snap a string in the woods, 100 miles from the nearest shop with a compound xbow - unless you have a press at home, you'll have to wait a few days if not longer to get your string change. Take me 2mins with the Excal :mrgreen:

Good luck with your search and future purchase!

B
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Does it really matter how deep in the ground the arrow is on the other side of the deer? :mrgreen:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

I still shoot my 1996 Exocet. Speed about 275 . Still does the job ! ! Ray
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have a crossbow that well surpasses the 400 ft/sec line but I hunt with my Votex! However would I take great exception to anyone telling me what I can buy or what I can hunt with (assuming it's with in the law). Don't get caught up with the anti speed crowd because no one has done tests or has accumulated data to substantiate their upper speed limit claim that they want to impose on everyone. Faster bows are coming and you can't stop it. Just don't buy them! The new generation of hunters are in the wings and they want fast and they'll get it.
Faster bows will mean less wounded deer and less time spent in the field which means less people in the woods which will give everyone a better quality hunt.
Before anyone says that people with faster bows will take longer irresponsible shots remember there are already too many that take 50 yard+ shots! A good 400 ft/sec plus bow will be a good sub 50 yard bow in my mind.
Last edited by Boo on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome jim!!!! :D :D
My vortex shoots 318fps, my ibex 298fps...i don't feel "under gunned" with either one. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

At 20 to 30 yards the deer really don't notice the differance. :D