Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shotnbeer

Re: 400 fps?

Post by Shotnbeer »

At 20 to 30 yards the deer really don't notice the differance. :D
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I meant no disrespect to anyone who wants more speed in their crossbow. All I am saying is that if Excalibur never comes up with a 400 feet a second it's not a big deal when they shoot like this.
This is two shots at a half inch dot (one arrow at a time, I learned better than to shoot two at a time :lol: ) at thirty yards from my Phoenix. Sure, it is only running around 290 a second, but dead is dead no matter how you look at it! Speed wise, that would mean that at 400 feet a second they would die...less than a second quicker? :lol: Shots within normal crossbow range, 0-30 yards just don't matter speed wise, when you get to pushing the yardage out is where problems start coming to play. To anyone who wants the speed I say more power to you(no pun intended) I hope that you can get what you want and be happy, I'm just saying it isn't everyones cup of tea.
Bones

Post by Bones »

It took 25 pounds and a 1 inch longer power stroke to gain 20 fps , I'm guessing it would have to be around a 290 pound bow to pull off 400fps based on the nox platform. I'm not pulling that back, my 200 pounder works just fine. But you have to wonder what is being cooked up in R&D at Excal though. I guess time will tell.
Bones
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I see nothing wrong with the capacity for more speed...as long as the speed increase is NOT happening at the expense of arrow weight.

If arrow weight is maintained that would result in better penetration. For a deer hunter that may be insignificant. However, for elk or moose hunters, that would be an advantage.

For hunters who want increased blade cut (and that can never be a bad feature) the increased energy would allow for a larger mechanical broadhead to be used. We may be close to the limits of what is workable for fixed blade broadheads because of wind planing, etc. For mechanical broadheads, more IS better, as long as there is energy enough to drive the arrow with adequate penetration.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
wayne

Post by wayne »

If excal came out with a 400 fps recurve type crossbow, I can't say that I would not think of trying it out and maybe buying one :wink: I'am not a speed freak, but I trust excal's to hold up & it would open up some options, on arrow & broadhead combo's I think maybe......But anything the shoots faster then my old bear recurve & wood arrows, seems fast to me :lol: ..... I guess, I would not rule anything out from excal, till I tried it :D
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

I have no need for a 400 fps crossbow; my phoenix does the job super fine; I have never checked the speed of my phoenix nor do I plan to; every deer I have shot at I have killed it and that is enough for me; planning on buying the vixen 2 this summer; I want the old "deer brown" model so if anyone sees that for sale contact me asap; thank you.