string is too short...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

string is too short...

Post by ch312 »

so last year i had some problems with my bow and received some replacement parts from excalibur. i never touched my bow again until i mounted my string the other day in hopes of testing out the S5, but the string is too short. ive shot it 5-6 times and its been on the bow for 3-4 days which made it stretch a bit, but its still 1/4" away from the hash mark closest to the trigger.

are the strings for molded and carved tips different lengths?

could i rig up something to stretch it a bit more to get it in the has marks and closer to the s5 pads?
Big58cal

Re: string is too short...

Post by Big58cal »

Is it twisted too much? That may be the problem. Some of the others on here that make strings may be able to help you more than me though.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You can either stretch it on a tool like I've designed (see my website) or you can keep shooting or you can wax it and give it some heat by rubbing with your hand. If you are cautious you can use a cloth to rub it and warm it up (make sure it's waxed really well).
Danny would do what he calls the Miller shove. Install the string with a few twists. With the stirrup against something solid shove the string repeatedly towards the riser.
Another method is to leave it cocked over a heat source.
The bottom line is that the way you have the bow now is perfectly good to shoot as is.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
peter p

Post by peter p »

what type string is it?
did you have it on your bow last season?
ch312

Post by ch312 »

peter p wrote:what type string is it?
did you have it on your bow last season?
i received the string without any packaging and i didnt put it on my bow until last week. the last couple years i havent even started thinking about deer hunting until 1.5-2 months into the season. i prefer tracking in snow over stand hunting...

there isnt a single twist in this new string as the strands run perfectly straight from limb to limb. ive always had to twist my strings, so this one is definitely shorter.

sooooo...shall i stretch it or buy a new one? i will have the atv out today so it wouldnt be that much trouble using my winch to make it a bit longer :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

If it's only a 1/4" above the line just go ahead and shoot it. It won't have that much affect on velocity and will eventually stretch.
Waxing and rubbing the wax in would be a good idea, too.
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Put a few twists in it, and leave it cocked overnight a time or two. :mrgreen:
Danny would do what he calls the Miller shove. Install the string with a few twists. With the stirrup against something solid shove the string repeatedly towards the riser.
Classic!
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

awshucks wrote:Put a few twists in it, and leave it cocked overnight a time or two. :mrgreen:
Classic!
The Miller shove has kind of a ring to it doesn't it? LOL! I spend way too much time talking to him! But I can't help it, he always gets me laughing soooo bad!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
peter p

Post by peter p »

My string is the same way.
It has no twists at all. It's the factory string not fast flight.
The original string had several twists to get the correct brace height.
On the new string (2 seasons old) no twists and brace height is 1 1/4 instead of 1 1/8 where I like it.
No big deal, the bow shoots good.

The only thing I don't like is that I think the string would be much stronger with twists...correct me if I'm wrong.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

A few twists is better for the string than none. Looks like a good oppo for this new folk reminder, you can twist string wrong way.

Enter clockwise vs counter clockwise confusion discussion in 4, 3, 2, ......... :mrgreen: By looking at serving ends you can tell if you are tightening or loosening the wraps, sure fire, no miss way.
The Miller shove has kind of a ring to it doesn't it? LOL! I spend way too much time talking to him! But I can't help it, he always gets me laughing soooo bad!
He's a trip ain't he? I wonder if Sardis has one of those places where you lost your hat? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The string is defective, return it.
The hash marks are whats called "optimum" and if the string doesn't go between those lines then there is a problem with it, you are not the first one to come across one of these.
By twisting and untwisting the string you should be able to place it on the rail where "you" want it, if the string is too short you are forced to use it out side of the marks, which is incorrect. Those lines are there for a reason.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Gotta disagree a bit on this one, Pyd. Through the years, Excal has had minor changes that take minor diff string lengths. These are a "one size fit's all" remedy, much simpler than separate offerings for 'straight' riser or 'fwd' riser, ect.

No offense to anyone, but much ado about naught, actually. They all stretch in, and factory is much cheaper than customs.

Y'all don't wanna get "Strung Up" :mrgreen:
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

The marks on the crossbows are there mostly for users of flemish style strings, where they have to set the brace height and maintain it at a constant height and they were really a good idea back when we sold the flemish strings with the crossbows. These days we use a dacron string which will stretch down slowly to be eventually between the lines, and this question comes up a lot. With the standard string don't worry about it, the brace height won't matter if it is a bit high. We purposefully make our Excel strings a tad short because they are better to shoot (quieter, smoother) short than if they are too long. We should probably just take the marks off to avoid confusion except that it would be a disservice to those who are shooting flemish strings.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

well, i guess thats the best answer i could ask for. thanks a lot bill.

will this effect the s5? i recall reading that you're suppose to keep the string quite close to the bumpers. theres a 7/16" gap after shooting it 15 times today...
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.. :D
Ironically a buddy of mine just bought an Equinox yesterday, called me because he couldn't figure out how to get the string on, kept telling me (by phone) that it was "too short", so he gave up. Made me think of this topic. (Incidentally, turned out to be a self induced case of not getting the string on at all)
I have never used a factory Dacron string. The information out there seems to go in a lot of directions for a new guy, considering most don't realize that there are options out there available other than the one that came stock, with their bow, Dacron, or the history of the riser.

Excalibur clearly states in the instructions that the string may ride above the scribe when new, but there have been strings out there that have been known not to reach the line, regardless of use or time, I own one.

Here, from the manual:
5. The two lines scribed on to the top of your mainframe or rail are
designed as a guide for string brace height. Ideally, your string should sit
somewhere between these lines. It is acceptable for the string to sit
above the top line when a new string is installed as it will stretch with use.

That is a very long creep to get to this, almost 3/4":

This is from boocustomstrings:

"I suggest that you start with a brace height of one inch. Bill Troubridge (owner and founder of Excalibur Crossbows) and Kenny Barr (2 time 3D World 3D Champion) both shoot a one inch brace height. Go as low a brace height as possible not the highest. You'll hear many parrot a high brace height. Ignore what you hear and find your own but start around one inch."

It doesn't take long to see why things get confusing for many. I guess it can be quite a grey area for a lot of new users, obviously, as well as experienced ones. Seems a lot of the information is based on aftermarket items (different string materials) they may not know exist, yet are used by most people who become aware of them.

As far as deleting the scribe marks I would suggest adding more instead, and a lot of them. If a factory string is going to ride 1/4" over the mark then why not add another mark to avoid the confusion? Better yet, add more with smaller increments to allow a new shooter to closer monitor their brace height, which happens to be a major factor to "mysterious" POI shift complaints from people. It would also give those of us who keep a very close eye on it another tool to add to an already consistent bow (I use a digital micrometer).
Even just more information on the Flemish option in the instructions to help bring the information together for a new shooter, it would be more consistent with current scribe marks as well as the speed ratings.
Easiest route would be to make the stock string a tad longer, and let the user have the control. It is way easier to make a string shorter on the bow than it is to make it longer once it is installed.
Just an opinion.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string