string is too short...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Re: string is too short...

Post by wabi »

For a time Excalibur had no marks at all on the rail. My first Vixen had none.

They added one mark to the rail for a short time (not sure of the time frame, but I had an Exocet 175# with one mark on the rail)

Then they added the two marks (when the new riser came out, I think).

I'm guessing, but I believe it might be because a minimum brace height is needed with the forward limbs since it will throw off the string on a shot if brace height gets too low.

For me the high mark is very close to what I think of as optimum. A little above or below won't hurt a thing, but the low mark should be considered getting into the danger zone.
wabi
strum

Post by strum »

ya know ..im not the most accurate shooter here but for me
i have found i can have my brace hight high or low and everywhere in between and have tried a few different strings but i always have a good shooting bow..thats the beauty of these excals ..they just shoot good..
i guess im just saying that (for me anyway) the brace thing gets way too much attention..i see folks all worried about changing strings mid season and such ..i have no problem at all putting on a new string with a high line and hunting that day...let it creep ..ill give it a twist when it needs it .. :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
peter p

Post by peter p »

Pydpiper wrote: Easiest route would be to make the stock string a tad longer, and let the user have the control. It is way easier to make a string shorter on the bow than it is to make it longer once it is installed.
Just an opinion.
I agree, make the strings longer so we can twist to the correct length.
Like I said... my string has no twists and sits just below the high brace height line and that's after 2 seasons of stretching.

I still believe that they were made too short and that they should have some twists in the strings.
My original Dacron string that came with the bow was long enough to add twists, why shouldn't the ones off the shelf be the same???
strum

Post by strum »

peter p wrote:
Pydpiper wrote: Easiest route would be to make the stock string a tad longer, and let the user have the control. It is way easier to make a string shorter on the bow than it is to make it longer once it is installed.
Just an opinion.
I agree, make the strings longer so we can twist to the correct length.
Like I said... my string has no twists and sits just below the high brace height line and that's after 2 seasons of stretching.

I still believe that they were made too short and that they should have some twists in the strings.
My original Dacron string that came with the bow was long enough to add twists, why shouldn't the ones off the shelf be the same???
just buy yourself a flemish and twist away..problem solved :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I agree; excel is too short. The S5 dampeners are best when string is positioned properly. A string too short cannot be adjusted to take best advantage of S5. So, something must give if one is to "tune" the S5/string. If the string cannot be easily lengthened, such as the case with BOTH of my NEW excel strings, then the S5 arms need to be adjustable. I'd rather the former than latter for obvious issues of ease-of-adjustment (twisting a string is easier than a couple of clunky wrenches and loctite). So, Bill, I really, really like your bows (the best!), but I do NOT like purchasing a S5 and NOT being able to get the string in the optimum position. I guess another option would be to inform the customer that it is recommended to use the S5 with the flemish string for best S5 performance, but being a new customer with little bow experience, I'm paranoid of doing the dry fire thing with the flemish, so I want to use the excel with the S5 for the obvious combination of dry fire safety - AND DAMPENING. I mean why do you make this rather expensive option when I can't get the standard string to the recommended gap? Please advise. Thanks, Larrie
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

put at least another 40 to 50 shots through and check it then I think you will see it slowly move into position.
Leave it cocked overnight.

Fear not I had a vortex that did the same thing.
Tenpoint Matrix
Boo

Post by Boo »

Dacron creeps quite a lot and if it were to be made long enough to be installed the first time between the two marks it would be heavier than need be. Creeping takes tension and time. I have a couple of factory Excel strings that after a couple of months crept below the highest mark and they were never cocked or shot.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dash

Post by Dash »

Hi Larrie, With the different materials, string styles,strand numbers,and other issues such as brace height, S5's etc, it can get more that a little confusing. But using a dacron flemish string adds no extra risk to a dryfire situation on an excal. If anything you'll get a stronger more forgiving string due to the combination of flemish desighn and dacron. Its the newer nonstretch materials you need to be extra careful with, not really the string type. Give the excal superstring a try if you want complete adjustment through the marks.
Also having a bigger gap between the string and S5 will make no noticable difference to you. Its really only a problem when theres "no gap", which will chop the S5's up a lot quicker. Theres a lot of variables when setting up a string so with that comes a lot of personal points of view, so I won't bother chipping in with mine. But it is of little concequince to accuracy at the end of the day as I've done a lot of testing trialing a variety of positions. I think its good to have marks as a general guide, but I would'nt worry about being just over the upper mark. A good warm waxing and a few more shots will bring her down that small amount.
[email protected]

Thanks for sharing! I understand clearly that the S5 should be used with the adjustable flemish style string. Given I am a newby, albeit a very careful one, the flemish super (dacron) is the one for me, this specifically recommended by two experienced users from this forum! I am so glad that I posted my issue with the Excel and the S5. The most important "take away" for me is that this forum is the BEST resource in helping resolve issues with my Excalibur. At this point, I'm mostly one to take (advice), but maybe in time, I can give (add value). A great big thanks to everyone participating on this forum! Larrie
ch312

Post by ch312 »

so, the string has been mounted since november and shot 30-40 times and it has barely moved at all and is still 3/8" from the S5 pads. i have yet to see any difference with the S5 installed with this string, which i'll assume is related to the string being too far from the S5 pads.

i guess it's time to attach the string to a tree and pull on it with my atv's winch to stretch her a bit :lol:
[email protected]

Got a new flemish super (dacron) string today, part 2097, and it is perfect for easy adjustment of string gap to S5 bumpers :D . Now, I've got these (virtually unused) excel strings that I don't need :( (I've extra 2097s coming for back-ups, so I just don't need these excels).

Larrie
Dash

Post by Dash »

Its really worth the hassle to knock up a cheap string jig for reserving and pre-stretching your strings. On Boo's website he gives details how to do it. It'll save you money on strings and stretching hassles. The standard dacron strings will stretch easily on a good string jig while getting a warm waxing at the same time.
CH312 you should try a Excal "Super flemish string" out. It will solve your hassles. You said, "i have yet to see any difference with the S5 installed with this string"
By this do you mean noise?
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Dash wrote:Its really worth the hassle to knock up a cheap string jig for reserving and pre-stretching your strings. On Boo's website he gives details how to do it. It'll save you money on strings and stretching hassles. The standard dacron strings will stretch easily on a good string jig while getting a warm waxing at the same time.
CH312 you should try a Excal "Super flemish string" out. It will solve your hassles. You said, "i have yet to see any difference with the S5 installed with this string"
By this do you mean noise?
there has been zero difference in sound and vibration dampening after installing the S5, but i figure it's because of the string being too short.

i'll be starting on my jig today. thanks for the advice
Dash

Post by Dash »

The S5 made a noticable difference for me. The only real way to test them is side by side a naked excal. Sometimes its hard to do that, but I done testing side by side with Blackjack using the same Excal types and the difference was night/day.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

When I got my Exomax,I thought" this is the LOUDEST thing I've ever shot!" I started to try to quiet it down.I installed the NGSS system(simular to the S5), and didnt think it made much difference at all. Next I installed a Boo string with the cat whiskers. I couldnt tell much difference at all in noise. Then I put a wooden stock on, and it didnt seem to make all that much difference.About this time I was pretty disappointed in my noise reduction try. Then I shot my sons naked VixenII. WOW!!! my Exomax was quiet as a church mouse compared to that! I think that all parts contributed to the quieting down, but its really hard to tell one at a time.As a whole they work great together and do a really good job. I've also read here that you ought to get someone else to shoot your bow so that you can stand back and beside it to listen. When you shoot it yourself, part of what you're" hearing" is actually the vibration that you are feeling.