tree stand question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vortex

tree stand question

Post by vortex »

I just received a Summit Goliath climbing treestand today. I am looking for input from people who use climbers or for that matter anyone who uses a treestand. I am wondering, if you have the misfortune of falling and of course hanging by your harness (because you always wear one), what is your pre-planned method of choice for getting back into your stand??
Thanks for your response
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com
VixChix

Re: tree stand question

Post by VixChix »

Not sure if this really answers your question, but from my Summit climber experience:

1. Always make sure the top and bottom portions are properly attached to each other (rope or webbing probably provided with stand).

2. Always make sure that when you reach your desired height you properly secure the top portion to the tree with the strap supplied with the stand. (Refer to instructional DVD that should have come with stand).

If you do those two things, then the worse case scenario (barring manufacturing defect) would be that the bottom portion would drop as far as the joining rope would let it. Just apply pressure/weight and you should be standing firmly on it again.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

In case of a situation where you're hanging by your harness and have no way of getting to a branch or step, use a "relief strap" to take the weight off one of your legs at a time to keep blood circulating. (Supposed to keep one in your pocket).

I always keep my cell phone in my side pants pocket where I can reach it. (Not in my jacket which I might take off or in my pack.)

I also often have a serrated (whitewater) knife on my harness. I always carry my hunting knife in my cargo pants pocket - if I have to choose between losing consciousness due to restricted circulation from hanging from the harness or injury from falling I would cut myself loose and try to ease my fall by hugging the tree. Better to have some scrapes and bruises or even broken limbs than be dead.

I've read that if you've been suspended from a harness for a period of time, when your feet touch ground again it's tempting to sit or lie down - DON'T. Best to stay upright and move if possible.

Always good to try to envision "worst case scenarios" before they happen and think through what you would do.

Also, have a look around on the internet for info on recovery from a harness in fall from a tree stand - some good info and stats out there.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vortex

Post by vortex »

good thoughts VixChix. I read someplace about having a screw in step on your person to get back in your stand, looking for other ideas like that, that might work
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

A screw in step is a good idea...never thought of that one. I know Strum(stan) did some extensive testing on this same subject a few months back, some very interesting results. You may want to research his post or just give him a pm.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I carry in my pocket 9 Leg pocket (on cargo pants).
A secound tie off strap.
Something I made back in something like the 70's
An 8 inch wide Rope ladder.
It is 16ft long
Boy Scout projectIt was ment to be used from 2nd story window
1. Tie it off on tie off strap.
2. Say a pray
3 Climb down
I used it once that was back when I made it to prove it worked
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

VixChix wrote:Not sure if this really answers your question, but from my Summit climber experience:

1. Always make sure the top and bottom portions are properly attached to each other (rope or webbing probably provided with stand).

2. Always make sure that when you reach your desired height you properly secure the top portion to the tree with the strap supplied with the stand. (Refer to instructional DVD that should have come with stand).

If you do those two things, then the worse case scenario (barring manufacturing defect) would be that the bottom portion would drop as far as the joining rope would let it. Just apply pressure/weight and you should be standing firmly on it again.
You need to be working for us ! Very good reply and well explained...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
DanO

Post by DanO »

My plan is to have a cell phone handy at all times and to follow the manufacturers climbing instructions. I've never felt safer in a stand and I'm no HERO! My first ladder stands made me nervous. The Summit is awesome safety-wise as long as you tether to the tree as soon as you start the climb and attach the two pieces of the stand with the belt as Vixchic says. Lots of stories of guys stranded as the bottom portion chatters its way down the tree. :lol:

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

vortex wrote: I read someplace about having a screw in step on your person to get back in your stand, looking for other ideas like that, that might work
That's an excellent idea!

Although when you're old and fat like me it would take a pocketful of steps to get back up into my stand. :lol:

I think climbers are generally very safe stands when used correctly. It's not like one-piece stands where if a part fails the whole stand fails. As long as you follow the manufacturers instructions properly you're good to go.

I've loaned our climber out to several different people - they each get a long lecture and have to promise to view the DVD that comes with it, not to use it without tethering the two parts, and to use the tree strap while climbing up or down. They also have to promise to do a practice run in daylight - not to make the first ascent or descent in the dark. My biggest fear is that someone gets injured because they skipped a step.

Good luck with your stand. I know you'll enjoy the hours spent sitting in comfort! :D
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Although I have not gotten one yet, I always wanted one of those systems that lower you right to the ground. In the event of a fall I think I may be able to climb back in but I would hate to be wasting my time trying when there's the option of being lowered safely to the ground.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
strum

Post by strum »

the best advice i have is ..try it at home with someone there to help..that way youll find out what you need to do in safty...30 ft up in a panic is no time to wonder..now what :shock: ..for me i found if i could get turned around /facing the tree i had a lot of control..but its harder than you think..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

I use an OSHA approved harness with a shock absorbing lanyard like for construction work, it has side d-rings that i keep an extra non-shock absorning lanyard attached to one side so that in case of fall i can hook one end on each side d-ring and quite literally stand in it.

It is actually quite easy to wear, i put it on before my bib overalls, the side d-ring stick out the side button areas, and these things are made to be worn for 8 to 12 hour working hours of climbing around on steel so comfort is a big part of the design.

I had the bad luck of finding out about suspension trauma the hard way on the job, it comes on FAST and only after a few minutes.

Be prepared like strum said and PRACTICE AT HOME. he proved you can practice from only a few feet off the ground.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
Cyclonic

Post by Cyclonic »

I use a CDS. Controlled Descent System harness. Best harness on the market. Allows you to lower yourself easily back to the ground.
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Excellent thread. This kind of stuff NEEDS to be discussed and thought through! Great to have input and advice from real-life harness users.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I have my strap set so that it is almost taught when I sit down. That way if I do happen to fall I won't fall past my stand and will be able to grab it to assist re-entry. I also have a tree step located on each side of the tree stand to assist with getting back up. I have a trauma relief strap that is pre adjusted to the correct length and fastened to my harness when I'm in the tree. Hopefully I will never need to use any of this stuff!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads