do you believe this

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

macbe

do you believe this

Post by macbe »

my cousin shot a buck last sat.morning in prettyboy,waited a time before trailing.he found blood and his arrow,followed for awhile,lost blood after finding a couple places where the buck layed down.so he backs out and calls in some help.after another hour he resumes search and they find the trail again.a couple of women on horses said they saw 2 guys with a cart and 2 buck on it.so cut to the chase he goes to the parking area and finds the guys.they told him they came across this buck sleeping 20 yrds off the trail.this is the kicker..they left their bows hanging in the tree so the one guys goes and gets his bow,now this was 20min.till he got back and the buck is still sleeping.so he arrows it and said it jumped up and ran to the creek and tried to go up the other side and fell back in the water and he shoots it again.so my cousin asks him if he could see him.he shows him and it was the same buck he shot.

so what do you guys think.
Bones

Re: do you believe this

Post by Bones »

Unfortunatly .... tough luck. Sorry!!
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Gonna be pretty hard to prove, sad to say. The "unwritten law of bowhunting" is that the first person to put an arrow through the chest cavity has the right to it. It all comes down to who tags the animal first though, sad to say.

If the guys were "ethical" about it, they should give it up. But not everyone has the kind of ethics that the people on here do. :?
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd say it depends on where your cousin's shot hit. Sounds like it wasn't quickly fatal if they were telling the truth about shooting it and it running to the creek.
Did he check and see how many times it had really been shot?

If it had been shot by them while it was still alive I'd just shrug it off and be glad it didn't go to waste.
wabi
macbe

Post by macbe »

he left them have it.he's the good one of the family.myself on the other hand would of had a few more words with them.the story of the deer sleeping and not moving with 2 guys and a cart within 20yds of him and then a guy walking away to get his bow that was still hanging in a tree and coming back and the deer is still sleeping just doesn't sit well.
roland

Post by roland »

would not make any difference the man with the tag on it wins don't matter if it is right or wrong
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

I have had this happen more than once. I've yet to shoot a deer that was worth getting shot over. I have had guys shoot a bear out of a tree that my dogs had treed. They didn't even have a dog in the hunt. One guy in the area was bad about it. Karma did her thing on him, wrecked his truck one winter and is paralyzed. They are the only ones that really know what happened and the way I see it, they will get what's coming to them if they aren't being square about it. Karma is a bitch.
John
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I would have asked him if he could live with the lie when he goes to bed at night...because i could.
No deer is worth getting shot over, but yea it would piss me off!! :evil:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

wabi wrote:I'd say it depends on where your cousin's shot hit. Sounds like it wasn't quickly fatal if they were telling the truth about shooting it and it running to the creek.
Did he check and see how many times it had really been shot?

If it had been shot by them while it was still alive I'd just shrug it off and be glad it didn't go to waste.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What he said............
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Just wondering were they Amish?
koko

Post by koko »

Say you find a fresh deer kill or finish one off, you don't see anybody. You tag it, gut it, drag it out to your car. Now somebody confronts you. You already have it tagged. You just can't take your tag off of it and give the deer to them. If the Game Commission finds you using this tag again they will think you shoot a second buck. It seems like it would be a complicated and time consuming process to get another tag. The Game Commission would have to come right away and straighten it out. Good luck with that.
2010 Equinox
Boo string with cat whiskers
camo munchmount
Big John GT III arrows
with 100 grain 3 blade meat seekers
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

sounds like they may have your buck..regardless of the story and its validity the bottom line is whos tags on it... legally its his. Yes ethics play a big part in a situation like that but not all are willing to play by the unspoken rule of the woods..So count it as a loss..

sorry bro..My wifes first doe compound kill got taken..I was headed back after a morning hunt to get her from her stand. She waited till I came back to get her..As I was driving by that ditch area where later I found thats where her doe fell....I saw a guy loading up a doe..HUMMmm...you think...YES he took her doe..She said she saw her doe land in the ditch about 100 yds away and the guy was coming down the road saw it too. He stops and is loading up---- as she saw me come by. I drove by none the wiser.. I had a few hundred yards to walk into where she was and she told me she arrowed a doe and saw her run to the ditch and the guy pick her up as I was coming by.. By the time I got back over there he was long gone..Thats the breaks unfortunatly..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
HIGHBOW

Post by HIGHBOW »

I have seen and heard of this happening a few times here in Kentucky, and actually was helping my friend track one day and found two guys hauling his buck off on a cart. This tel-a-check system in KY has caused so many hunters to violate the law and has damaged the herd in our eastern portion of the state to where you better hope the deer falls close to where you shoot it.
I wouldn't want to shoot someone over a deer and I hope I'm never in that situation. I hunt alone quite a bit and usually in WMA's or private farms, I have had my ladder sticks messed with and had treestands stolen. I hate a person who calls themself a hunter who would mess with another mans gear or game.
EXCALIBUR Matrix Grizzly & AXIOM SMF, Firebolts and Boltcutters
Hunt safe and always respect what natural gives you!
rayman

Post by rayman »

They could have been able to tell from the wounds that the deer had been shot before, assuming they told the truth. Think I would have offered to split the deer if I were the guy that finished it off. At least give a ham or something. Unfortunately, a lot of the guys out there are not good enough woodsmen to be able to tell something like that or do not have the moral fiber to do the right thing.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like they might be full of sh!t but not much you can do to prove otherwise. Sorry to hear it turned out that way for you guys.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads