15 year old killed by another hunter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

muskyman454

Re: 15 year old killed by another hunter

Post by muskyman454 »

there was no reason for any of that to happen.deer first everything else second.sad
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

During "small game" season, hunters are NOT required to wear orange. During deer gun season they ARE required to wear orange. Here's the problem, squirrl season and deer season are in at the same time. The wheels of change should be rolling as we speak that ALL hunters are required to wear orange during gun season regardless of what they are hunting.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

That is sad on a whole other level :( :evil: :(

I cannot recall where it happen, Pens. or Vermont, but saw it quickly on the news on Saturday or Sunday morning that a hunter had been shot and killed by a member of their hunting group who after realizing what had happened and seeing his deceased freind turned the rifle on him and killed himself. Two absolutely unnecessary deaths due to again, a hunter who "saw something in the woods".
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
Dash

Post by Dash »

Very sad.
With or without wearing blaze orange, I can't believe people can take a shot without identifying the target beyond all doubt. I can't understand the "I saw something move" reason for taking a shot. If I was ever hunting with someone who done that he'd feel the back of my hand.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

So very very sad!

This is a tragedy made even more tragic by being totally preventable.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Dash wrote:Very sad.
With or without wearing blaze orange, I can't believe people can take a shot without identifying the target beyond all doubt. I can't understand the "I saw something move" reason for taking a shot. If I was ever hunting with someone who done that he'd feel the back of my hand.
I agree 100%. I was hunting on private land and saw a bush move in the brush ahead of me. Took me a few minutes to get sight of the deer's ears . . .another few minutes to wait for the deer to clear the bush so I knew I had a kill shot.

It was never a thought to just shoot or guess about where the bullet was hitting. You GOT to know this BEFORE the trigger is pulled.

I was always tought to never fire a shot "over a ridge". I set up to where I know my back stop.

I just don't understand thses guys shooting at an animal without seeing it clearly.

I like the idea of wearing orange in all seasons. But, we need to be responsible hunters. We need to hold the shooter accountable for these "accidents" . . .it should never go unpunished.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ch312

Post by ch312 »

maybe things would change if there were some life sentences handed out to get people to start paying attention. accident or not, this guy killed someone and deserves severe punishment as he's 100% at fault for the kids death. eye for an eye...
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Can't help but think of this Johnny cash song when I'm out with a firearm.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... VxjhZ1OdY0

I hope the good lord will help the family of this poor kid deal with the hard time they are going thru.
Last edited by one shot scott on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

In Canada , a person seeking to own (even borrow, unless under direct and immediate supervision) a firearm MUST first take a safety course. That's not a bad idea, even if the government of the day was less concerned about firearm safety than trying to discourage people from acquiring firearms.

However, not everyone who owns firearms hunts. The same safety rules should apply, but the excitement of the hunt can numb the brain. That's why it should also be mandatory to have Hunter Safety training before a licence is issued to a hunter. That should apply to young hunters, of course, and geezers like me. A few hours of training on safe hunting habits could save a lifetime of regrets and heartache.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

CanuckBen wrote:That is sad on a whole other level :( :evil: :(

I cannot recall where it happen, Pens. or Vermont, but saw it quickly on the news on Saturday or Sunday morning that a hunter had been shot and killed by a member of their hunting group who after realizing what had happened and seeing his deceased freind turned the rifle on him and killed himself. Two absolutely unnecessary deaths due to again, a hunter who "saw something in the woods".

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=41360
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
sneak

Post by sneak »

So very tragic! I wouldn't call this an accident but a negligent homicide! Totally uncalled for!

On a side note, landowners and their children hunting on their parents land are exempt from the blaze orange requirements in Tennessee. They are also exempt from the hunter safety requirment.
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

sneak wrote:So very tragic! I wouldn't call this an accident but a negligent homicide! Totally uncalled for!

On a side note, landowners and their children hunting on their parents land are exempt from the blaze orange requirements in Tennessee. They are also exempt from the hunter safety requirment.
I expect TWRA to take a hard look at this exemption. You do not know who is on adjoining property.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
rayman

Post by rayman »

ch312 wrote:accident or not, this guy killed someone and deserves severe punishment as he's 100% at fault for the kids death. eye for an eye...
Yea, I don't know man. It's a tough one. I think it depends on how neglegent the shooter was and how remorsefull he or she is after the fact. I can tell you that in the case of my room mate, his 12-yr-old cousin was absolutely devestated. At the funeral he just had a look in his eyes that said he was going to be messed up for life and I don't see what good it would have done to send him to juvee hall. On the other hand there are probably some of these cases where prosecution would be appropriate.

Prevention is the best policy. Florida is like most states, people under a certain age have to take a safety hunter class before getting a license. It's a good policy, but not enough in some cases.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

rayman wrote:Yea, I don't know man. It's a tough one. I think it depends on how neglegent the shooter was and how remorsefull he or she is after the fact.
you make a good point, but i'll kindly disagree. :)

i do exterior restoration on high rise apartments. let's say i'm laying a few bricks on the 20th floor and a brick falls because i was being careless. i forgot to close the gate on the safety fence that's meant to keep people out of the area and the brick kills someone. should i get let off the hook because i'm remorseful? nope, i'd deserve the harshest punishment out there.

how about someone that is speeding, loses control, and kills someone. he should get let off because he's so emotionally distraught that he wants to kill himself after he realizes what he's done? nope, locked up for good.

i could go on and on with examples, but my point is when you're in control of something that is capable of taking someones life you MUST be 100% sure that nobody is being put at risk.

a kid was killed and now his parents have to bury their son because some idiot (that is 66 years old and should damn well know better. VERY different than the 12 year old you mentioned) decided to start shooting at movement. there are ZERO excuses for something like this to happen, so he deserves the harshest punishment the state can dish out.

just one mans opinion :)
Tennessee Tom

Post by Tennessee Tom »

TWRA does not require land owners to wear blaze orange while hunting on property that they own,, very sad when accidents like this happens ,, But I myself do not always wear the vest while hunting on our land either ,, I guess that I hope whom ever is trespassing will know what he is shooting at !!