Tamed some of the noise out of the Phoenix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

thumper

Re: Tamed some of the noise out of the Phoenix

Post by thumper »

The retension clip was the first thing I took care of on my Vortex. Only difference is I slid a piece of shrink tubing up on it, all but the end that makes contact with arrow, then heated it and I was good. No more twanggggg when I touched one off.
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

The phoenix model has been my choice for several years; I see the pictures on the spring but I have to ask; how does the shaft of the arrow not miss rubbing up against it? I am very interested in your results and can also see that your accuracy is deadly; I will try your ideals on my phoenix; thank you very much for posting your pictures and sharing your ideals;
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Great Thread! Going to take my stirrup off and listen close to what happens. Thanks. :D
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I took the first picture after installing the dampeners initially. Here is a picture of the actual positioning of the dampeners after getting them set to clear the vanes.
You can also see the type vanes that I shoot on the arrow in the picture as well. Now one thing I haven’t took into account is that if you use a scope they may be in the way because of the scope mount. That was one of the reasons I opted to wait to put them on after going back to Fiber Optics. With a scope mount you may only be able to get one of them on and still make clearance, I’m not sure, but even one of them should make the noise of the retention spring noticeably different.
Crossbow225lb

Post by Crossbow225lb »

How well do they stay on when firing?
Do you think a 2" blazer vanes could clear at least one of the dameners?

Thanks
Crossbow225lb
-DEER CRUSHER-
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

They haven't moved at all since I put mine on and those are 2 inch vanes on my arrows.
Crossbow225lb

Post by Crossbow225lb »

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I'm not the only person that appreciates this :)

Crossbow225lb
-DEER CRUSHER-
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Crossbow225lb wrote:Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I'm not the only person that appreciates this :)

Crossbow225lb
No kidding! Very much appreciated. :wink: I'm going to wait until the season goes out (or I tag out, whichever comes first) before I mess with changing anything on mine. But so far, I've gotten several ideas as far as things I'm going to do to "tweak" my bow a bit prior to next season. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
HIGHBOW

Post by HIGHBOW »

Great thread, since I'm new at this crossbow with my Axiom , I have read and thought about some of possible resolutions you have used. So after I got in from hunting today, I took my camo duck tape and removed the stirrup and wrapped it completely , installed my limbsavers and I got an idea of something new. I took 4 "O" rings and I put them in the string and clipped the sides , because I didn't have anything else to try today. It sure did make a difference.
One other thing that I did was sling swivels, I put a very small piece of heat shrink on the part going through the hole, that reduced the noise of the sling moving.
I think Excalibur could easily coat there stirrup , arrow holder and make a very cheap reduction in noise levels.
EXCALIBUR Matrix Grizzly & AXIOM SMF, Firebolts and Boltcutters
Hunt safe and always respect what natural gives you!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi wrote:I guess in reality it does somewhat resemble a tuning fork.
I've also used mine to find water on a couple of occasions. :lol: :lol:

Good job on the upgrades oldarcher! I put duct tape on my sturrip and it helped. I like your retainer rubbers . . .very cool.

Nice shooting too. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I just took my scope mount and held it up to the side making sure that I matched the screw holes and they may be a problem using these if you use a scope. The top of the scope mount comes down a long way on the retention spring. You may have to trim the two little balls off the side of the dampener in order to get it under the scope mount. I don’t see an issue to this unless you just don’t want to trim off the two little rubber balls. It should still work only the dampener will be under the scope mount instead of in front of it.