A Dry Fire...and wasn't my fault

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ELLIS

A Dry Fire...and wasn't my fault

Post by ELLIS »

Went to the first 3D indoor tournament of the year today. Was at target the last target of the first round, and all was well. A 45 yard shot. Cocked the bow, safety on, arrow placed in the bow, double checked that it was all the way back against the string, safety off. Aimed, on target, slowly squeezes the trigger and BANG! Something horribly wrong happened. The gym was dead quiet and all eyes were on me. My string was about 10 feet away on the ground. My arrow was about 30 yards downrange on the ground. The bow had dry fired??? Checked the limbs and they seemed fine as well as the Flemish string. When the line was safe I picked up the arrow and it had delaminated just in front of the vanes. The back of the arrow was pushed in a few inched into the broken shaft.

Put on my back up string and completed the tournament. Did well even after getting a miss for that shot. Excaliburs, got to love them!!!!! INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Even though this was a round about dry fire, I hope this allows me membership into the ever expanding exclusive club!

Question. Is it safe to use the Flemish string that was on the bow when all this happened. It did fly off of the bow but the ends look normal and the rest of it looks fine. The bow does have the older STS string dampeners on it though both rubber stoppers now have a cut on their faces. Will replace those.
Equinox (2011)
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Scope
HHA Optimizer
TriggerTech Target Trigger
OFAH Member
awshucks

Re: A Dry Fire...and wasn't my fault

Post by awshucks »

As self proclaimed Prez of Dry Fire Club, [DFC] I'd have to deny your app. I claimed the Presidency by scoring the Big 3. Dry-fire, splintered a limb and missed a $2000 shot on a hog.

Not enough idiot factor in your mishap. We have strict standards in this semi-elite org. One has to forget to load an arrow. Fire a blank, so to speak.

You are however, fully qualified for membership in the "Failure To Check Arrows" club, a sister org to DFC, lacking somewhat in memberships. I'd claim the presidency were I you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

awshucks wrote:As self proclaimed Prez of Dry Fire Club, [DFC] I'd have to deny your app. I claimed the Presidency by scoring the Big 3. Dry-fire, splintered a limb and missed a $2000 shot on a hog.

Not enough idiot factor in your mishap. We have strict standards in this semi-elite org. One has to forget to load an arrow. Fire a blank, so to speak.

You are however, fully qualified for membership in the "Failure To Check Arrows" club, a sister org to DFC, lacking somewhat in memberships. I'd claim the presidency were I you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

I am so disappointed Awshucks that you have set suck stringent rules to become a member of the wonderful organization. I think truly crushed would be a more appropriate word. I was hoping the end result would justify membership and not how it was done….. I will continue to practice to get it right, I will make you proud some day!

As for the "Failure To Check Arrows" club, the sister organization to DFC, I might take you up on becoming its president. Just between us, are there any perks to this position?

Cheers,

Bill
Equinox (2011)
HHA Optimizer
OFAH Member
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I am so disappointed Awshucks that you have set suck stringent rules to become a member of the wonderful organization. I think truly crushed would be a more appropriate word. I was hoping the end result would justify membership and not how it was done….. I will continue to practice to get it right, I will make you proud some day!
So sorry, but you disqualified yourself, to whit:
As for:
As for the "Failure To Check Arrows" club, the sister organization to DFC, I might take you up on becoming its president. Just between us, are there any perks to this position?
Alas, dunno as I got caught several times checking my arrows and have never qualified for membership.

Keep the faith my friend, one DF tends to lead to another. Any thing worth having.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Imagine the thrill of honestly qualifying. I can almost hear the "Pip Pip Hoorays" from Arkansas! :mrgreen:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

awshucks wrote:...Keep the faith my friend, one DF tends to lead to another. Any thing worth having.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Imagine the thrill of honestly qualifying. I can almost hear the "Pip Pip Hoorays" from Arkansas! :mrgreen:
You kill me!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously! I LOVE YOUR sense of humour.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I shudder every time I hear a dryfire . :)
But it does mean work . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

A 2000 dollar hog. Ouch..Please fill us in on the spry Awshucks.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Ok, short version. I was on a $2k hunt for all kinds of goofy animals, last day 2nd [late] hunt, sitting in my ground blind, hogs came in, I took a 20 yd gimme shot.
Bow sounded funny, all the hogs ran off, reached for another arrow, 4 were in quiver. 4 arrow quiver.

Got home, found splintered limb. Good news: didn't have to eat $20 a lb pork. Just crow. :D

Here, ya want it all? stuck an arrow in 4 whlr fender w/ Boo's recurve. Right after I'd made a sweet 30 yd shot w/ his compound. Shoulda quit winners. :oops:

Couple years later, I rolled the 4whlr over backwards and trashed my Y-25. That's where the 'revenge of 4 whlr' jokes come from. :oops: :oops: edited to add:
Sent ruins of 'Y' into Danny on a Monday, called him that Wed, he already had another LH 'Y' on the way. said there's a bill w/ bow, 'Tear it up" 'someone[s] on the forum took care of it'. New 'Y' here same Fri and I still don't know who paid my freight, but thanks again.

I realize none of this sh*t will ever die. Every so often it gets drug back up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a yuk or two on me............
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

awshucks wrote:.....
I realize none of this sh*t will ever die. Every so often it gets drug back up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a yuk or two on me............
You might as well just have The Dude post it as a sticky at the top of the forum - you've got those kind of stories that just beg to be retold and retold! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Look at it this way......YOU ARE FAMOUS!!!!!
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I picked up the arrow and it had delaminated just in front of the vanes.

Is this a case for why aluminum bolts may be safer? just wondering. :?:
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

hankenhunter wrote:This has to be the only crossbow forum in history that laughs and makes jokes about dry fires. I LOVE IT! Keep the happiness coming!
Hank
Ain't that the truth Hank!! Anyone else would be standing there crying over a pile of a hundred little pieces!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

G'day Awshucks,

I went to a buddy’s place to practice yesterday afternoon, determined to get an in on the DFC. I was totally focused on this. It was tough though. My routine is now ingrained, cock the bow, safety on, seat arrow against the cocked string, acquire target, safety off, slowly squeeze trigger…. Sad to say this went on for a very long time.

While shooting we were telling stories….it happened, I was paying more attention to the stories than what I was doing…. cocked the bow, safety on, listened to more of the story, acquired target, safety off….then my buddy asked me if I planned on putting an arrow on the bow before firing. I almost cried, I was so close to getting a true dry fire (as defined by the club).…and a membership.

I am done, the stress of getting it right is just to much. Sorry for letting you down Awshucks and the club down. I will try again in the new year.

Your member-in-waiting,

Bill
Equinox (2011)
HHA Optimizer
OFAH Member
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the club.
Raymond