The hardest shot i never took..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

The hardest shot i never took..

Post by strum »

I took a doe earlier this season and then a fair six point a few weeks later..
After that i have seen a few deer but nothing to write home about..here in Ga you can take 2 bucks but one has to be at least 4 point on one side so since i already got a six the next would have to be a 7 or 8 point..
said all that to say ..got in the woods this eve around 3 ..was 8 turks in the field when i got there..around 5:00 i saw a doe move across the field in to a creek bed then i saw him..a real good looking buck ..you have to remember we dont have those bigole monsters yal have up north..so to me a 150lb deer is agoodun..he only had six points so i couldnt shoot :( i watched him for 45 mins feeding the field once he got within 30 yards..i must have shot him ..in my mind 50 times and had to talk myself out of pullin the trigger more than that..
To me is was a beautiful animal and i fine with not shootin it...when i got home though i told my wife im undecided ..did i have a good time or not? :D i think ill be in the box in the morn..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
rayman

Re: The hardest shot i never took..

Post by rayman »

Well, look at it this way. You shot the deer. Get back to the truck and a Ga. DNR guy heard you shoot and wants to know what you did. Show him your tag, indicating you can only shoot a 4-on-a-side buck or doe. You say "I missed a big one". He want to go to your stand where lays a 6-p. At which point you say ? :)
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I know how you feel my friend...both my buck tags are filled & the last deer i saw were the five does under my stand three wks ago, wasn't a doe day on the base!! :roll: :lol:
Oh well...it was still a good hunt to me!! :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
strum

Post by strum »

rayman wrote:Well, look at it this way. You shot the deer. Get back to the truck and a Ga. DNR guy heard you shoot and wants to know what you did. Show him your tag, indicating you can only shoot a 4-on-a-side buck or doe. You say "I missed a big one". He want to go to your stand where lays a 6-p. At which point you say ? :)
No sir i didnt shoot that deer ...sombody musta moved my deer and put this one here in its place :lol: :lol: :lol:

no realy i would not want to be in that position..dont need a deer that bad..i think im maturing :shock:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

My whole season has been like that this year but it wasnt because of some rule or law that said i couldnt shoot ...i just enjoyed it a different way and i got more out of it than if i had killed a dozen,I did shoot once and killed a twig and that hurt me :lol:
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Thumbs up for showing great hunting sportsmanship and etiquette out there Strum.

He was not what you were after and you stuck to it. It drives me absolutely up the walls when I see and read of stories of ppl who’ll take home anything they can get their hands on when I am positive, with month(s) long seasons that an older or more mature buck could have been taken. I’ve seen buck tags being filled with little 4” spikes and prefer not to comment…and this coming from a guy in a region who’s deer population is in bad shape - you’d think I’d be inclined to think otherwise!

My 2cents worth of course :mrgreen:
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
masboy

Post by masboy »

here in pa it,s three on one side where I live but I hunt mostly md. where it,s up to me what I shoot. I understand all hunters are not like me thatspend all year shooting and practicing and hours and hours in stands and on the ground after deer. they don,t get to put the time in or have a lot of chance to wait for a nice buck or would like some deer meat and enjoy there hunt . I think that's great but when you are able too pass up a small buck like I do I shoot each and everyone in my mine for practice ( and I need a lot anymore) just a good feeling knowing you could have if you wanted too. so strum you shot him in your mind I, m sure and that's a good feeling with a lot less work. congrats on your mind kill I know you would have got him!!!
Last edited by masboy on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You are in GA man! Print out another deer harvest record and start over. :lol:

Georgia has to have the most generous harvest controls in the world. There really isn't anything keeping us from shooting all the deer in the land. Heck, the limit is 12! :shock:

The only way they track the harvest is via the processors . . .they log in the deer with your lic#. If you process your own, then . . ..

Really . . .it's the honor system in Georgia . . .more so than any where else I have hunted.

Heck . . .you can harvest all 12 the same day, if you can get them to stand still.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I always keep a camera with me in my backpack while hunting. I'm going to "shoot" something one way or another. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
strum

Post by strum »

sumner4991 wrote:You are in GA man! Print out another deer harvest record and start over. :lol:

Georgia has to have the most generous harvest controls in the world. There really isn't anything keeping us from shooting all the deer in the land. Heck, the limit is 12! :shock:

The only way they track the harvest is via the processors . . .they log in the deer with your lic#. If you process your own, then . . ..

Really . . .it's the honor system in Georgia . . .more so than any where else I have hunted.

Heck . . .you can harvest all 12 the same day, if you can get them to stand still.
yep you right there Scott..and i see it all the time,,guys shoot a buck ..dont write it down and just keep on shootin..take whatever they want ..it realy burns me up ..i told a guy a while back that i didnt see why they even buy lic..they dont abide by any of the rules..the rule is you are to write it on your harvest record before you move it..but
most dont..
i realy hate that 4 on one side rule it messes me up every year 8) im not a trophy hunter and i dont mind passin but i wish they would let us take 2 bucks..period ..you just dont see many 8 and 10s around here. mostly because rednecks who shoot whatever they see..the plus is the season will be over at the end of this month and if he makes it ..maybe ill see him again next year.
I posted this not to brag on my awsome hunting skills :lol: :lol: but to illustrate the battle that goes on in the mind when we are out there..thats why guys make those wrong choices and venture over to the illegal side..because they lose the battle :(
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I know a guy to take three in a "shoot out" with his compound bow. :shock: He had a pack of seven come in and he got three of them before they spooked. Incredible, eh?

More deer than hunters I assume. I've never known anyone to max out here in GA . . .but, theoldarcher is coming close. 8)

I haven't even been in the GA woods yet. :cry:
Last edited by sumner4991 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

strum wrote:you just dont see many 8 and 10s around here. mostly because rednecks who shoot whatever they see..
Easy now, I resemble that remark. 8) :lol:

Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Well a fine example of a guy who is very well self regulated in the deer woods.

I see that as a kill, he may not be in your freezer but its a kill.. I make a practice of pulling up on them getting them in the scope and saying bang your dead..just to see if I can get away with moving and getting to the point of release..getting past the ears eyes and noes......Thats the hunt right there..the harvest is the down hill part

hang in there bud you did right...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Catch & Release Crossbow Hunting :mrgreen: