Just for curiosity, what is the maximum range of an Exomax?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

darwal44

Just for curiosity, what is the maximum range of an Exomax?

Post by darwal44 »

Hello everybody. Yesterday I went to my uncle's land property. It is a vast desert land full of dunes. My uncle used to try mortars, bangalore torpedos and rockets on this lands. I took my Exomax to his "badlands" :mrgreen: to try some shots. I also took a target I made by putting together 3 phonebooks wrapped up with duck tape.
Since I was in such a vast territory I couldn't resist the temptation to do some long shots, just to try the Exomax capabilities 8)
The first shot I made was at 50 meters. The arrow traveled the distance almost immediately, but I didn't hit the target. There were just to much wind.
The second shot was at 100 meters. One more time the arrow went straightway to the target, but I didn't hit it. It passed over it. I just saw a little cloud of sand rising behind my target.
Then I was invaded by a more powerful temptation: to shot at 45 degrees elevation :evil: I began to sweat just to think of that idea. The ground was suitable. I realized I was going to lose an arrow most likely, besides I didn't know how far could the arrow be able to travel. I had already lost two arrows so I didn't do it. But I still have this curiosity. If I would had done it, how far the arrow would had traveled? :?:
Have some of you guys made something like this? (45 degree shooting) What is the maximum range of an Exomax or Equinox?

The attachment IMG_3237.JPG is no longer available
IMG_3237.JPG
IMG_3237.JPG (26.2 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
Home made target.JPG
Home made target.JPG (190.53 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
In the first photo you can see part of my uncle's property. The land behind me is bigger and without any houses. Also you can see my home made target.
Last edited by darwal44 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trx480Ryan

Re: Just for curiosity, what is the maximum range of an Exom

Post by Trx480Ryan »

The farthest, to date, i've shot my Equinox, is 70 yards, and still hitting the target, we ran out of room after that, but thats just playing around with a buddy and a pair of equinox's lol... i've heard of 100 yard shots being made on targets... i wouldnt recommend you take shots like that hunting however.
2011 Excalibur Equinox With Quiver and Varizone
Remington 870 With Camera Mount
Ruger 10/22 With Scope and See through Mounts
2004 Trx450r with a little work.
1995 Ranger with a little work.
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

Of course not. I wouldn't do that in a hunt. I just feel curiosity of how far the arrow can get if I shoot the crossbow at 45 degree elevation :wink:
strum

Post by strum »

darwal44 wrote:Of course not. I wouldn't do that in a hunt. I just feel curiosity of how far the arrow can get if I shoot the crossbow at 45 degree elevation :wink:
you cannot resist it is futile ..go and try again tommorrow :lol: we want to know also. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

Well, as you can see on the first photo, my uncle's badlands are perfect to shoot at maximun distance, there are no people around, there is just desert an dunes . In fact my uncle was exhorting me to do it. So my temptation was rising :evil:
I said to my self "I'm in the Dune planet, so why not?" But then I realized that I wasn't only going to lose an arrow but, in case I could had seen the arrow far away at the distance,how the hell I was going to measure the length it traveled? :roll: I don't have a rangefinder :( If I have had one a could have told my cousing: "Take the bike, go to the arrow and stand up right next to it so I can measure the distance" But the only thing I had was a ruler :oops: :oops:

God, wish I had a range finder. :x
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Twice I did that in a feild, once by accident. About 70 degrees.
I could see the arrow drop, don't look up, look striaght ahead, it hit about 250 yards out. The ground sucked it right up. :)
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't know, never tried to find out, but I've often wondered, too.
If I had access to a range like the "badlands" I might try it at night with a lumenok equipped arrow. Should be easy to find in the dark.
wabi
Dash

Post by Dash »

Good luck finding your arrow again !
Your distance can vary a lot depending on your bow FPS,arrow weight, and FOC balance. An equinox can go over a few hundred meters depending on the variables. Get some binocs, and spend the time to make 100% sure there's no-one out there before you shoot :!:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Like the rest i ain't never shot my vixen that fer. I reckon with an arrow about 450-500 gr it could go a 1/4 mile!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Having shot an arrow at about 45 degrees with an Equinox, I can tell you it goes a long ways, about 300 yards when it dropped into the water of my deserted lake.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Dash

Post by Dash »

G'day cossack, thats some serious long distance Crossbow fishing :shock: :lol:
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

300 yards! :shock: That's 274 meters cossak. Great. But how did you measure the distance? :?:
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Like I said, my (private) lake, it's 375 across to the far shore at this point, with a handy patch of weeds at @ 300 where the arrow landed. I had hoped it would land on shore. Guess I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
drmoss_ca

Post by drmoss_ca »

If it weren't for the drag of air friction, the range of a projectile starting at 350fps (=106m/s) at launch angle of 45˚ would be around 1200 yards! Hard to believe, but the physics is clear. See for yourselves at this site:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... .html#tra7

Chris
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

To many what ifs and Varibles to truley tell Examples :Arrow weight and different type of strings,wind and so on.
What would be the perfect set up?