eleminate another source of noise

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warydragon

eleminate another source of noise

Post by warydragon »

I wrapped and knotted a 7" length of 1/2" wide inner tube rubber around each side of the stirrup of my Phoenix. This accomplished two things.

First, most of my crossbow hunting is from stands with a wood floor. While waiting for deer to show up, I position my crossbow as if I'm shooting vertically down. The stirrup is resting on the wood floor board with the stock between my knees. The rubber wrapped around each side of the stirrup acts like little rubber feet for the stirrup and allows me to pick up and move the bow quietly.

The added benefit is that the two rubber knots dampen the vibration of the stirrup during a shot. The crossbow's sound changes from a "twang" to sort of a "thunk". I know a lot of folks don't think the sound of the bow makes any difference to the deer. The deadened vibration sound of the stirrup is a little more pleasant for me.

I suppose a more elaborate job of wrapping the sturrip would better protect it as a source of noise. I have used these two knots this whole season and they work in my hunting situation.

I know anything we can do to minimize any chance noise while moving the crossbow before the shot is a good thing. It seems like if I can hear any noise I make, the deer can also hear it.

Good luck.

Fred
Cabarrus County, North Carolina, USA
Louvp

Re: eleminate another source of noise

Post by Louvp »

I think I'm gonna do some serious work at trying to get rid of some noise now that my season is over I can play with it. I wanna get the shock absorbers to start with. I get a heck of a twang when I shoot, sounds like the bolt retaining clip on the top.It definitely has a metallic twang to it.It didn't seem to bother the deer I shot saturday,not as much as the Muzzy 125 through the heart did. But he was only about 3 yds from me.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
Dash

Post by Dash »

Ive seen all sorts of stuff wrapped around the stirrop, and it all makes a difference. leather strips , rubber strips, split fuel tube, self amalgamating tape, bowjax, etc.
If you flick the stirrop with your nail it will ring like a bell, but hang onto the other side of the stirrop when you flick it, and the sound its deadened completely. All those little things make a difference in the sound your bow gives out. A sweet thud rather than a loud twang. There's also less vibration and stress on the scope, limbs, and all those screws . I still think the biggest 2 differences I've heard to sound and vibration are from String whiskers and a STS or S5 string stopper.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Heard today from reliable source STS [Bucks and Ducks] went belly up.
"Eze 18:21"
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I spiral wrapped my sturip with rubber and it does help with the twang.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Hockey tape works graet also eh! :lol:
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

yeah come jan when my archery season is over with my exocet will get a laminated stock done by me....also some spray foam inside the rail as well as the stirrup being wrapped in leather....stay tuned for my stock build thread folks :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

black hockey tape works for me
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

awshucks wrote:Heard today from reliable source STS [Bucks and Ducks] went belly up.
With all the wait time STS headaches those people were a pain in the butt. Good riddens I say. :wink:
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i never needed STS replacement pads yet, but i did get some from a member though :wink:
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I wraped mine a week or so ago with the limbsaver wrap desigened to wrap around the handle of a verticle bow to take the hand shock out. I like it! It took so much of the twang out of the sound and muffed it to a thunk. Mades a big difference in my book. It along with the retention spring dameners and the S5 has made a drastic change in the sound of my Phoenix even shooting the Gold Tip carbons with aluminum inserts. My arrows only weigh in at 351 grains with broadheads.
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

Found this product that might be good to dip the stirrup in. its a rubber coating,I might have to dip it a few times to get a good coating.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
Excal Axiom SMF
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
B3,

theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Louvp wrote:Found this product that might be good to dip the stirrup in. its a rubber coating,I might have to dip it a few times to get a good coating.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
I tried the plasti dip a few seasons ago. It does take more than one coat (usually 3 or 4) and it is not very durable. The constant rubbing of the stirrup on the ground cocking it takes it tole in a short time on the dip. It does work but be prepared to replace it every few weeks as it wears out.
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

I tried the plasti dip a few seasons ago. It does take more than one coat (usually 3 or 4) and it is not very durable. The constant rubbing of the stirrup on the ground cocking it takes it tole in a short time on the dip. It does work but be prepared to replace it every few weeks as it wears out.
Thanks, good to know,I wont waste my money on it. I'll try a rubber tape or something else
Excal Axiom SMF
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
B3,

j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Louvp wrote:
Thanks, good to know,I wont waste my money on it. I'll try a rubber tape or something else
I'm going to Cabella's this weekend and hopefully I will find this wrap there. I really like the way it looks wrapped like that and can always use a little noise reduction. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads