Ticks..... GRRRRRR

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gamikatsu

Ticks..... GRRRRRR

Post by Gamikatsu »

so i found 2 ticks on me last outing... one attached to my ribs after the trip, and one climbing up my pant leg while sitting in stand... Time to treat my new hunting clothes with Permethrin... I get small .5 oz vials of 40% permethrin, soak my hunting clothes with them, and the kit says viable for full life of the uniform... (this is the US military issued Permethrin Anthropod repellent stuff, i'm Active Duty USAF). it works wonders!!!! i bought new camo's and havn't treated them yet... go figure.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
vixenmaster

Re: Ticks..... GRRRRRR

Post by vixenmaster »

Well that sounds like the way to go on treating yer clothing. Reckon i need to do that myself. I wonder at times if'en i live in the Land of Rocks or Land of Ticks, :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
spike

Post by spike »

Ouch. We don't have a huge problem here (eastern Ontario, Canada)) but they do exist and are apparently getting worse. Is that stuff (permathrin) available commercially ?

Spike
ROGER
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

vixenmaster wrote:Well that sounds like the way to go on treating yer clothing. Reckon i need to do that myself. I wonder at times if'en i live in the Land of Rocks or Land of Ticks, :lol:
I also live in the ozarks :roll: I not only have a problem with ticks but also with copperheads :x them things are thick as ticks :x :x Must keep one eye on the deer trail one eye on the ground :mrgreen:

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
noons

Post by noons »

I had Lyme Disease for about 4 years before I found out. Never saw the tick. Never got a bullseye. It was the worst thing I ever went through. They make a base layer that will protect you as well. I can't remember what its called. I will try to find out.
Last edited by noons on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

papa bear1 wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:Well that sounds like the way to go on treating yer clothing. Reckon i need to do that myself. I wonder at times if'en i live in the Land of Rocks or Land of Ticks, :lol:
I also live in the ozarks :roll: I not only have a problem with ticks but also with copperheads :x them things are thick as ticks :x :x Must keep one eye on the deer trail one eye on the ground :mrgreen:

Dave :)
I live in Howell county, yup killed 4 of them copperheads, all about 30" long & nasty disposition when encountered. I/we were going to town one afternoon & i spotted one in our drive-road. I eased over & picked up my shovel & as i swung down on it my Mrs asks is it a copperhead i said nope its now a flathead :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

REPEL makes a brand of permethrin spray, called PERMANONE, its fantastic stuff... iif your like me, and don't wash your hunting clothes often, it lasts a really long time. its scentless, and i'd say 99.999% effective. i have been in the worst tick infested brushlands and swamps of Georgia, and not a single tick, chigger, mosquito, etc. now mosquito's attacking my face thats another story... but they dont' last long if they touch your clothing.... they market it as a repellant, but i think its just about instantly fatal to anthropods. Farm and Feed stores usually sell carpenter ant killer, thats roughtly 15% permethrin and you can dilute it down to 1% or whatever you want. me personaly i like the 40% concentrate. dilute the .5 oz of 40% permethrin with 1/2 galon of water, soak uniform, pull uniform after 3 hours. let air dry. i keep mine in a large ziploc bag with Hunters specialties Fresh EArth wafers and i've been upwind of several hogs this year that never smell me... i've gone about 3 months on a treatment, washing 2 or 3 times and stille effective. AS always, your experiences may vary but it does work great!!!
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Anyone ever hunt gophers around the Que' Appelle valley in Sask in the summer months? You're literally just crawling with them after just a short time out on foot.
Does anyone know if PERMANONE is safe to use on animals? My 2 little terriers get it the worst when we're out there hunting.

I'm getting itchy just thinking about those disgusting little arachnids.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
koko

Post by koko »

In archery season I didn't have any problem. Now when it came to rifle season I hunted a different spot and scouted the weekend before. It got warm, and I walked the power lines and woods. You look down at your pants and you have these tiny black specks on them ( the size of a pin head ) all other them. Don't forget to wear a hat. Every day you walked around you got them on you. I lost count, always stopping and flicking them off at least 50 ticks. You go home get out of the truck check the seat for ticks. Now where do you change you don't want to take your clothes off in the house. Went in basement and threw clothes right in washer. Took shower right away. Checked myself real good only found 2 ticks crawling on me. Thought I was ok. Next afternoon take my shirt off and see a nice red spot near my right shoulder blade on my back. Knew right away that it was a tick. It had dug itself into my skin where only the hind legs where sticking out. My son worked on getting it out for over 1/2 hour. I couldn't reach it. Everthing is looking ok now, I will keep an eye on it. My son had lime disease several years ago and we never even seen the tick on him.
2010 Equinox
Boo string with cat whiskers
camo munchmount
Big John GT III arrows
with 100 grain 3 blade meat seekers
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

Boy, sounds like you have it bad up their. I say, get some permethrin!!! they just plain ignore you!
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Noticed the ticks a bit more this spring when turkey hunting. Still not too bad but did see a few more of them than usual.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

j.krug wrote:Noticed the ticks a bit more this spring when turkey hunting. Still not too bad but did see a few more of them than usual.

j krug if'n you need some more i got plenty to spare :lol: I'm a nice guy i'll send you some :wink:

Dave :D
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
rayman

Post by rayman »

Here's a link for permethrin tick repellent from a place I order stuff from a lot. THey also have Permanone.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/produ ... +Repellent

Some flee&tick shampoos for dogs have permethrin. I keep a bottle in the shower for when i get in them bad.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

papa bear1 wrote:
j.krug wrote:Noticed the ticks a bit more this spring when turkey hunting. Still not too bad but did see a few more of them than usual.

j krug if'n you need some more i got plenty to spare :lol: I'm a nice guy i'll send you some :wink:

Dave :D
Thanks for the kind offer but I think I'm gonna pass this one up! :D
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads