Long Shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cyclonic

Long Shot

Post by Cyclonic »

I know I will catch "heck" for this, and possibly rightly so. But, I did it, and will confess it here.
I got off a little early today, came home, grabbed Trixie and sat behind where I keep my kayaks and trailer. Still in my work clothes, but, with a front coming in, I knew the local deer would make their way behind the house and around the bowl which makes my pond.
Well, they did. I watched two little ones come and go, then a big doe came in, with a button head and another little one. She didn't stop for a shot where I had hoped they would :roll: , but instead went to the far side of the "bowl" and stopped. She was looking to my left, at the house. I thought "Well, she's too far now, game over." Then I looked, and judged the yardage to be 52 yards. I used to shoot in the semi-pro division at ASA and IBO 3-D shoots, and, statewide I won a lot of them. So my yardage judging is pretty good.
Before I knew it, Trixie was up on my shoulder, the 50 yard cross-hair was hovering high on her shoulder, and THUMP :shock: ! My personal projectile leaped across the gap in a flash! I heard the unmistakable sound of broad-head meeting shoulder, and she took off! Wait, she's running kinda funky! I see blood pouring from her shoulder! She disappears from sight, into the woods. I sit and wait for about 10 minutes, I can't stand it anymore. I go to where she was standing, there is my arrow, coated in blood, with a fletching missing.
The blood trail is immediate, and explosive! I follow for about 70 yards, and it thins out a little. I stop for a few minutes, listening so hard, I swear I can hear the woods thrumming in my ears. I follow the meager trail and it starts getting bigger, and higher on the brush. I stop again and strain both to hear, and see in front of me.
There she is! 10 yards away, down. :)
I say my usual prayer for the wild-things, and the gifts they provide. Go back to the house, get my rope and knife, and let my dog out. He goes straight to my arrow, still in the ground, and starts into the woods criss-crossing her trail. When I get to her, he is there, waiting for me, licking her in the face.
I know this was a long shot to take, I am ever so thank-full that it went my way. Would I do it again? I don't know. I never thought I would take a shot that far. It presented it-self, and I did.
I have passed on closer shots that were questionable. I felt it was not a shot to take. This one, however, came naturally and quickly. I hardly knew it happened, until after the fact. Guess I went on "auto-pilot".
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
rayman

Re: Long Shot

Post by rayman »

Who's Trixie? Is she your little friend that comes over when you get home early? Does she have a sister? JUST KIDDING! :)

Heck of a shot!!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your doe!! :D :D
It's not my place to judge you on your shot...you were the one there and only you know how the animal was reacting to the situation. If you know your yardage, confident in your equipment & your ability and know you can make an ethical shot then by all means take the shot.
I probably wouldn't take a 50 plus yard shot but i'm not going to judge those that do.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Cyclonic

Post by Cyclonic »

Rayman, Trixie is my Exomax, named after my Great Grand-Mother's dog. :D
G-Boy, thanks for not judging, this is not a shot I ever thought I would take :shock: . If you have read my posts, you will know most of my shots are under 30yds. Something made me take this shot, I don't know what.
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!

Glad it worked out successfully.
wabi
ElmerFudd

Post by ElmerFudd »

Congrats on your harvest. Hind sight is 20/20. Don't kick yourself in the back side now. It worked out for the good. I fully understand the auto pilot statement--been there before.
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
Rage for crossbow 125 grain
Bullet74

Post by Bullet74 »

Congrats on the deer, and what a great story, you should wright a book, i was totally into it. :D

Marc
A BAD DAY HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

congrats on your doe, sounds like that shot was in season and time to take it, and you was on very familar home ground so that might be why your autopilot kicked in..or you could say...it was just your time.. :D
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Who are we to judge you. Only you know what is a good shot for you. Congrats on a nice shot and a kill. Food on the table. :D
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

awsome shot , the Exomax should have no problem making a killing shot at that distance, the shooter just has to make a steady shot witch you did just fine Congrats. :D
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats, to you and Trixie, on your deer. One great shot. Nice story :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Long yardage shots, hey its a personal call. Wide open areas are very much better fer them than trying in thick cover. Out West thar be alot of longer distance shooting
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have no problem judging you . . .that was a great shot. :D

If you have the skills, then go right ahead. In reality, the odds start going against you after 40 yards with the Exomax. You beat the odds . . .congrats! 8)

Sounds like you had the yardage against you, as far as the odds go, but, you had other things in your favor. The shooting skills, a calm animal, broadside target, good weather conditions . . .it worked out and I'm glad it did.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on a great deer. :)

Like others have said I wouldn't take a 50 yard shot but if you're good with it and have the confidence than by all means go right ahead.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Basicly you were off the site at 50 yards as you said you shot high. Whats next a pot shot at 60 or 70 yards? Where does one stop now that you made that shot?