Carbon Arrows/Shafts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Carbon Arrows/Shafts

Post by vixenmaster »

The few i have owned were GT II's, they seem to be weak to me as they're breaking after i have shot my deer! So i want those ppl. who use diff carbon arrows to give their opinion & or review of their brand. I am looking fer a tuffer carbon arrow to try out n use hunting.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
NCXbowHuntr

Re: Carbon Arrows/Shafts

Post by NCXbowHuntr »

I am using the excalibur firebolts and have had no issues a of yet, they seem to have a thicker wall than most i have handled
Tony K.
Formerly known as "New2Xbow"
http://www.NCGunRights.com
"Gun Laws Only Limit the Law Abiding!"

Axiom SMF
Lumenok Firebolts
X-Act Broadheads
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I use the Easton Powerbolts, which are the exact same thing as the Thunderbolts(not sure they make the Thunderbolts anymore after Easton took it over). Anyway, they are relatively cheap and are tough as nails. The quality/straightness is excellent too.

I'm still shooting most of my orginial dozen from four years ago.

I too thought the GT's were too weak. I liked their speed, but, did not like the weight. Once I started shooting the wider broadheads, I needed a little more weight. I decided to put some of the weight into the entire shaft.

Anyway, the Eastons fly really good.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big John

Post by Big John »

The general population likes the GT 11's because of the light weight and ease of weight manipulation. They are a fine arrow for the money. However, myself I like The Easton Powerbolts for strength and weight. I make quite a few of those, as well for customers. The firebolts are also good, cant really say anything bad about them either. However not to many people ask for them. Carbon Express makes a beauty arrow, strong and excellent weight, as well weight forward technology in it already. But you can not buy raw Carbon express Arrow shafts. If you want to customize them ,you must take apart and rebuild. A little risky for some.

So My choice for BEST crossbow arrow is the Easton Powerbolt.

I might add, I said it more than once, All arrows are available from me, including aluminum. However weights go up from Gold Tips. Sorry for the plug. :oops:

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

X2 for the Easton Powerbolts.
Just cleaned up 6 shafts for a refletch.
Easton has good quality bolts whether aluminum or carbon.

Excalibur fire bolts are too light and they know it.
The shaft is good but the inserts they use are too light forcing you to use a heavy broadhead to improve front of center and overall weight.
If I could remove the inserts on mine I would change them out for the same ones as the Easton.
If I find a solution, I'll post it up, or does anyone here have one??
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Boo

Post by Boo »

Thunder Bolts are the toughest I've ever abused but the best all around but tough arrow is the Carbon Express Maxima Hunter or the Kv.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wayne

Post by wayne »

Use firebolts & the carbon express maxium hunter w/ the 2" blazer vains

Found both to be very tuff, (as long as I remember to aim at two different spots on the target :lol: ). I like to use the carbon express, because there seems to be some kind of coating on them (smoother) & they go much deeper into the target then the other from 10 to 50 yards, with target tips or B/H & ya don't need the T-handle to pull them out. I've bought 14 of them & all flew great. Never had a falure, but not fond of the plastic nock, (I keep checking them, & so far there holding up great) was the only draw back I've found to date, besides $10.00 each.......Also I've tore the blazers off one testing B/H & put on those NAP shrink tube things & POI was same as others :D

Have not tried the KV's yet...hope to this spring.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
Normous

Post by Normous »

[quote="Ont_Excal"
or does anyone here have one??[/quote]

You can easily remove the front inserts and add a weight of your choice using 8/32 treaded add ons. I have them in 5 grain increments from 15-45 grains. This gives you the ability to customize your arrows for the FOC of your liking.
Epoxy in the add a weights and make sure not to seat them too deeply into the rear of the insert. If you do your broadhead may not seat all the way. I have been doing this to my Excalibur arrows for 20 years.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

wayne wrote:Use firebolts & the carbon express maxium hunter w/ the 2" blazer vains

Found both to be very tuff, (as long as I remember to aim at two different spots on the target :lol: ). I like to use the carbon express, because there seems to be some kind of coating on them (smoother) & they go much deeper into the target then the other from 10 to 50 yards, with target tips or B/H & ya don't need the T-handle to pull them out. I've bought 14 of them & all flew great. Never had a falure, but not fond of the plastic nock, (I keep checking them, & so far there holding up great) was the only draw back I've found to date, besides $10.00 each.......Also I've tore the blazers off one testing B/H & put on those NAP shrink tube things & POI was same as others :D

I am with you. Dont really care for the plastic nock. Has anyone here tried removing this plastic nock and replacing it with a metal one? If so, could you please share info on how this is done. Thanks
Vortex
S5
Lumizone
xx75's 2215
Razor Tricks
frisky

Post by frisky »

I use the Gold Tip2 arrow. I bought 6 in 2008 and have killed 6 deer with them. Still got 5 left, the 6th I sent into a concrete wall. :oops: :oops: (long story)
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Cyclonic

Post by Cyclonic »

this year I went to the GT III's. They are heavier and they seem stronger. Killed four deer with one, before I lost a fletching on the last deer. I roll my own, with wraps and blazer vanes with a right hand helical. If i do get a flyer I simply rotate the arrow to the next position, till it groups with the others.
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

enormous wrote:
You can easily remove the front inserts and add a weight of your choice using 8/32 treaded add ons. I have them in 5 grain increments from 15-45 grains. This gives you the ability to customize your arrows for the FOC of your liking.
What I need to do is remove the inserts without damaging the shaft.

I don't need 5 grain increments as I'm not looking for a specific foc.

I just want to replace the Excalibur Firebolt inserts with what I currently have in my Easton Powerbolts.
I just want to match set ups so I can shoot them all.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Beman lightning bolts and easton power bolts. They seem the same except for the Vi-brake insert in the lightning bolt. Only ever damaged them when I shot them myself . They fly tru, no problems buying them or parts for them, and seem to be a pretty tough for a carbon bolt.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Leaf wrote:
wayne wrote:Use firebolts & the carbon express maxium hunter w/ the 2" blazer vains

I am with you. Dont really care for the plastic nock. Has anyone here tried removing this plastic nock and replacing it with a metal one? If so, could you please share info on how this is done. Thanks
I acually prefer the plastic nocks with blazers which help give good FOC. Cheap and easy to replace too. I've only ever stuffed them by shooting them :roll:
Danny Boy

Post by Danny Boy »

I use excalibur firebolts.

Early in the Summer, one shot was missed at the target during a practice session. I found the broken bolt in the wood - a clean break in the middle. I don't have much experience with carbon bolts to tell if this is normal situation.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2008 Exomax