Frontal Shot?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dino

Frontal Shot?

Post by Dino »

I was deering hunting last month and had a doe standing 20 yards from me looking straight at me up in my climbing treestand. Is this a shot you would have taken with a crossbow? I would not hesitate with a rifle or shotgun but I didn't know what to do with a crossbow. What would you have done?
bucknbill

Re: Frontal Shot?

Post by bucknbill »

i took a shot just like that last year on a big nosey doe..blood trail was everywhere, she made it about 60yds..at 20 yards it,s a hard shot to pass
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

If it is not straight on you could get away with it shooting between the neck and shoulder into heart lung area but your much better off waiting for a broadside shot it is to easy to loose one like that.
toytruck

Post by toytruck »

I would take a frontal shot if the deer wasn't spooked. Killed two this season one with muzzleloader an one with Rem 06 with this shot. Not my favorite by any means, but if you want meat you won't get them if you don't take the chance. IMO
Life may change us, but we begin and end with family.
White's and TC Renegade
2010 Ibex
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

I took a similar shot 2 weeks ago with my Axiom crossbow,buck about 10 feet from me, facing me,not a shot I prefered ,but if I didn't take it I wasn't going to get another chance,one more step & he was gonna be behind branches.I shot him almost straight down thru the heart,only went 40yds. Normally I would have passed on that shot,but I only had 48mins left in the season in which I would be able to hunt so I took it. If I would have been able to get out again in the hunting season I would have passed up that shot. This deer was not looking at me he was totally clueless I was there,his head was down.I Dont think I would try it on the deer you had at 20yds looking at you,if it didn't know you were there that would be different.If it was close like mine & looking at you it would be doable because it would not have alot of time to react.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have passed on such opportunities many times and will continue to do so. If it isn't broadside or quartering away I'm not launching an arrow!

I know people have had success with such shots, but I prefer to wait for a higher percentage chance of putting the deer down quickly & cleanly.
If it walks away without giving me a good shot, at least it walked away healthy and it may be back tomorrow. :wink:
wabi
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

This is one of my favorite shots. As long as you know exactly where the vitals are located in relation to the angle of shot it is deadly. I prefer the deer slightly quartering toward me. I would not advise anyone to take this shot with lots of practice at a target with front of deer painted on it.
I have never had to track over 50 yards.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

:lol: I'll shoot them varmits from any position but a Tx. heart shot. The only reason i don't take them is cause those guts are messy getting yuck all over the inside of the deer :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

vixen master wrote::lolI'll shoot them varmints from any position but aTx. heart shot. The only reason i don't take them is cause those guts are messy getting yuck all over the inside of the deer :D
That is why I prefer a slightly quartering shot.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Personally I would wait for a higher percentage shot. There is a lot of bone in those shoulders so if you do take that shot you have to be right on.
Boo

Post by Boo »

wabi wrote:I have passed on such opportunities many times and will continue to do so. If it isn't broadside or quartering away I'm not launching an arrow!

I know people have had success with such shots, but I prefer to wait for a higher percentage chance of putting the deer down quickly & cleanly.
If it walks away without giving me a good shot, at least it walked away healthy and it may be back tomorrow. :wink:
I'm 100% with you Mike. It just isn't worth it to me. If I want stress I'll go to work! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Heck just shoot a 500 + gr arrow it will go through the bones n such. Just keep yer shots close nutten over 50 yds :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I wouldn't take it. I couldn't sleep at night if it didn't go as planned.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

I wouldn't take a facing shot if the deer is looking right at me. I have shot a couple in the head with a bow with their head down and calm.
John
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I take them all the time, i shot through this ones neck bone at 22 yds. You can see the BH hole out the back of neck
Half Bubble Off BD360